Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,596

    1983 Ritchey Commando

    Got my old Commando out for some riding. This one is a rare, celebrity Commando since it made an appearance in the movie Klunkerz. Sure was fun to ride.

    Photobucket

    Photobucket

    Photobucket

    Specs and pics here: fiveandaquarter: Ritchey Commando 1983 #20B 67

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shogun700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    206
    Most excellent, thanks for posting sir-the first shot is just awesome...I know there is a bicycle in there somewhere, at home in it's element.

    It looks much warmer than the ride I just took, started spitting snow, changed to light rain, then sleet. Of course now the sun is out.
    Looking for a TNT Titanium front hub....

  3. #3
    Trying to grow a mustache
    Reputation: Z-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    372
    I wish someone would repro those tires! Nice ride...
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun700 View Post
    Most excellent, thanks for posting sir-the first shot is just awesome...I know there is a bicycle in there somewhere, at home in it's element.

    It looks much warmer than the ride I just took, started spitting snow, changed to light rain, then sleet. Of course now the sun is out.
    Thanks. Yeah, seems at home there. It was fairly warm, but when I reached the spot where that first shot was taken, a storm was just starting to come in off the ocean and the wind was starting to get a little feisty and cold!

  5. #5
    Spin it again
    Reputation: nightshade_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    201
    That's a great bike and must be one of the first MTBs with the camo paint job.

    Does anyone know what builder is credited with the very first camo MTB? Some early Goats also sported camo paint.

  6. #6
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,290
    Great pix. The V-1 Pro and Factory Pilots are a nice touch.

  7. #7
    velocipede technician
    Reputation: hollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,657
    2nd and 3rd pics are really good. cool bike, I gotta find a camouflage bike one of these days
    looking for 20-21" P team

  8. #8
    Strangelove
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    140
    Doesn't get much better than that does it? Cool old bike, blue skies and big country. You're a lucky guy.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,596
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Great pix. The V-1 Pro and Factory Pilots are a nice touch.
    That V-1 Pro, I'm pretty sure, is more comfortable than my new(ish) helmet! Might have to go back to it full time.

    Thanks Dr S. I think most of us are a lot luckier than we think.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,596
    Quote Originally Posted by nightshade_rider View Post
    That's a great bike and must be one of the first MTBs with the camo paint job.

    Does anyone know what builder is credited with the very first camo MTB? Some early Goats also sported camo paint.
    I think Salsa had some early poof de flage (pink, green, blue orange, etc), but I think that came after as I heard from Ross that the intent of the poof de flage was making fun of the camo bikes.

    And Goat had it early for sure.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DoubleCentury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,384
    Outstanding bike and photos!

    There are some camo Salsas from before bike #18 in 1983.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    734
    FB, most excellent! I have never seen a Commando paint job with black in it. Do you think this bike was built before the official split of Ritchey/Fisher?
    Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,596
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    FB, most excellent! I have never seen a Commando paint job with black in it. Do you think this bike was built before the official split of Ritchey/Fisher?
    Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures.
    That's interesting about the black in the paint. I've never noticed that the others didn't have that. I think the TR/GF split took place near the end of '83 so good chance Gary was still around when this one was made...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,596
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    Outstanding bike and photos!

    There are some camo Salsas from before bike #18 in 1983.
    Thanks DC, but it's nothing compared to your masterpieces.

  15. #15
    Klunker Kev`
    Reputation: MERK26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    222
    That thing is gorgeous! Totally a "Grail" bike for me...and I don`t say that lightly.

  16. #16
    artistic...
    Reputation: colker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,538
    Great pictures indeed! Perfect illustrations for "mountain biking", vintage era.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

  17. #17
    Neo-Retro Forever
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,573
    If anyone out there has a Commando that's too big for them, mine's too small...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    734

    fiveandaquarter

    I'm speechless!! I can spit out that I really like the Moots Mountaineer, I guess I'm partial to the Adventure bikes.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    734
    I'm curious as to who painted your bike, I have a suspicion that it may be Ed Litton.
    Do you know FB?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,596
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I'm curious as to who painted your bike, I have a suspicion that it may be Ed Litton.
    Do you know FB?
    Hey Shawn, no idea who painted it. Probably before D&D's time on this one I'd guess... Why do you say Ed Litton?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Hey Shawn, no idea who painted it. Probably before D&D's time on this one I'd guess... Why do you say Ed Litton?
    Hi Dave, I have a 83 Fat Tire Flyer ad introducing the Commando, it has your fork and the old style HT logo. This was at the very end of the MOUNTAINBIKE/Ritchey relationship. Ed Litton said that he was painting the Ritchey's at the very end of the break up. Your paint job is very unique in style and colors and is definantely one of the early ones.

Similar Threads

  1. 1988 Ritchey, mostly NOS, former Commando
    By First Flight in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-21-2010, 08:09 PM
  2. Ritchey 1986 Commando
    By shawnw in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 12:34 PM
  3. Ritchey Commando
    By rickthewelder in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-21-2006, 05:03 PM
  4. Ritchey Commando...
    By wmalan in forum Ritchey Design
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2005, 02:44 PM
  5. Ritchey Commando '86
    By Jeroen in forum Ritchey Design
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 12:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •