Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1982 Ross Mt Hood

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  gnawbonelefty 
#1 ·
The extra long wheel base and steel adds up to 1 smooth ride

See less See more
#3 ·
I had an 82 Ross Mt Hood and it was black, didn't know there was a chrome option that year? I bought it with an unemployment check and in two weeks (next unemployment check) got the wife the same bike, only smaller. Bought them both at Mikes Bikes in Cannon Beach, Oregon.

Also, you might want to invest in a set of these?

and chop some of those cable housings down. You will gain noticeable performance in braking and shifting.

#4 ·
According to my '83 /'84 /'85 Ross catalogs , the chrome Mt Hood was a '85 model, in '84 it was all black, in '83 Ross released the black "Force One", later to be renamed in mid '83 to Mt Hood due to copyright issues with the "Force One name.

#5 ·
That makes sense, I bought mine in the fall of 82', but it was the 83' model year.

The reason I know for sure when I bought mine is because my wife was pregnant with our older son at the time and he will be 23 in January.

There was not much selection in those days. The Mt. Hood was a good start.

#7 ·
I know Cindy

tl1 said:
I dunno, Cindy looks kind of butch there. I think the original poster may have posted a cuter pic. :D
Better smile when you say that podhuh. IMNSHO Cindy was the baddest mountain bike mama who ever turned a pedal, tough as nails, fearless on downhills, and cuter than a bug's ear. Now she's a real mama, and I would guess that her babies were well fed.

Attachments

#9 ·
Comp1 tire on the front, it doesn't have much sidewall life left on it. between that and a kenda karma on the back, it has 0 mud traction, later that night, i was doing 2 wheel slides in the corners.

Yes cindy is a much cuter rider than I, but at least the photo has my good side. Plus the photo of cindy on the bike, gives me an idea of which cantilevers in my parts draw are the original, when I put them on, i'll trim the cables.

the original thumb shifters are long gone,
the rims/wheels are original rm7's.
The derailuers are not original but 80's vintage deore.
the drive side of the crank is original, but the other side is not.
over the years, i've lost the right side brake lever too, i'd like to find an original.

The first 2 digits of the serial are 82, I assumed that meant year. I have owned it since 84 and bought it used then, so it's at youngest a 85, but I think it's older.

thanks for the comments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.