mtbr member
    Jun 2018

198? Ritchey/Rocky Mountain

I got curious about this Ritchey with the Rocky Mountain sticker that I picked up several years ago. Being more of a roadie, the Dura-Ace hubs are what attracted me. It's being used a kid hauler so probably not living up to its pedigree. What started out as a "5-min search" on the history of the bike led me to hours of reading and wondering, 'what bike did I pick up???'

The closest I've come to is:
    - 1986/7 TIG-welded Toyo frame imported by Rocky Mountain but with specs provided by Ritchey
    - the bike most closely resembles the 1986 Ascent, with the clear exception of the fork colour (mine is white)
    - parts seem exactly the same as the 1986 Ascent, as seen in old catalogue scans

So, is that what this is?? Any insights would be much appreciated and acknowledged in treating the bike with the requisite respect!198? Ritchey/Rocky Mountain-2011-06-18-21.08.12.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 198? Ritchey/Rocky Mountain-2011-06-18-16.04.35.jpg  

198? Ritchey/Rocky Mountain-2011-06-18-16.05.38.jpg  

198? Ritchey/Rocky Mountain-2011-06-18-16.08.54.jpg  

198? Ritchey/Rocky Mountain-2011-06-18-21.09.21.jpg  

Schipperkes are cool.
    Bitchin' wheelset!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shin_splints View Post
    I got curious about this Ritchey with the Rocky Mountain sticker that I picked up several years ago. Being more of a roadie, the Dura-Ace hubs are what attracted me. It's being used a kid hauler so probably not living up to its pedigree. What started out as a "5-min search" on the history of the bike led me to hours of reading and wondering, 'what bike did I pick up???'

The closest I've come to is:
    - 1986/7 TIG-welded Toyo frame imported by Rocky Mountain but with specs provided by Ritchey
    - the bike most closely resembles the 1986 Ascent, with the clear exception of the fork colour (mine is white)
    - parts seem exactly the same as the 1986 Ascent, as seen in old catalogue scans

So, is that what this is?? Any insights would be much appreciated and acknowledged in treating the bike with the requisite respect!
    Canadian market, Panasonic-made (if I'm not mistaken), Ritchey distributed by Rocky Mountain. Did it have a name? I believe the Rocky Mountain stickered version of this frame was called a Sherpa. I got a slightly down-spec, maroon, Canadian Ritchey called a K2 the following year with the same sticker.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thanks for the info, mf. Thought I might have had something special but nevertheless, it's a nice addition to my stable and it really hauls the kid trailer quite well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shin_splints View Post
    Thanks for the info, mf. Thought I might have had something special but nevertheless, it's a nice addition to my stable and it really hauls the kid trailer quite well!
    Beautiful and bombproof. After the apocalypse - or when all the bushings, hoses and sealed bearings have changed standards again - you'll be free to ride around with your trailer and pick up scrap metal/roadkill.

DFA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
    Canadian market, Panasonic-made (if I'm not mistaken), Ritchey distributed by Rocky Mountain. Did it have a name? I believe the Rocky Mountain stickered version of this frame was called a Sherpa. I got a slightly down-spec, maroon, Canadian Ritchey called a K2 the following year with the same sticker.
    This is a Sherpa. The bike in question was the result of Tom Ritchey and Grayson Bain going to Japan (Toyo) in 85 to pool resources/distribution on a low cost production bike. They were called Rocky Mountain Ritcheys here. Acents in the States. Have one hanging in the garage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFA View Post
    The bike in question was the result of Tom Ritchey and Grayson Bain going to Japan (Toyo) in 85 to pool resources/distribution on a low cost production bike.
    I don't doubt that you know more about this than I do, but I've read several times that Toyo was the tig shop and Panasonic the lug shop in those early days of Japanese MTB. production. Is this just internet rumour?

I had one of those Fat City Flyers too. I sold to a Romo collector out in BC.

(Duh... Looks again at Ritchey, obviously not lugged... Toyo FTW!)