...idios...

1930's Western Flyer V mounts..advice pls

I have a friend with a 1930's Western Flyer cruiser. It's single speed, braking off the hub, but he'd like to fit a front brake for extra braking. He's in his late sixties and wants to keep riding, but is having difficulty halting the bike by reverse-pedalling alone.
    I'd like to fit some kind of brake to the front but the forks don't have any provision for the boss bolts. I've found some bolt-on clamps for modern, wider forks but nothing for these skinny fellas. One possibility is to buy a whole front-end from a Schwinn cruiser which has a similar sprung-suspension fork set-up, although it'll probably be quite expensive so I thought I'd see if anyone on the forum had any idea/solutions. I can sort photos if anyone thinks it would help.
    Thanks in advance,
    Peace,
    Steve

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Photos Would Help

Having some brake studs brazed onto the fork would be inexpensive but if you're concerned about the looks you'd have to have it refinished after.

...idios...
    Not the greatest photo I've ever taken. The forks aren't round, either; they're eliptical, so that could potentially make clamps a bit more complicated.

My first thought was to fit the brake bosses, but the guy would rather keep the frame in its original shape. If replacing the whole front end becomes too expensive, he may have to consider brazing...
    Last edited by SteveUK; 11-03-2006 at 01:26 PM.

...idios...
    Problem solved. I've come across a Pashley cruiser which has a front hub brake and my local shop is going to build me a wheel around one of these hubs. It'll be around 70 for everything he needs and I can't think of a cheaper/simpler solution. It's been an interesting afternoon finding out about all this stuff and I'm considering a cruiser build sometime.
    Shayne, thanks for your input.
    Peace,
    Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK

Not the greatest photo I've ever taken. The forks aren't round, either; they're eliptical, so that could potentially make clamps a bit more complicated.

My first thought was to fit the brake bosses, but the guy would rather keep the frame in its original shape. If replacing the whole front end becomes too expensive, he may have to consider brazing...
    Sturmey-Archer makes some nice drum brake equiped hubs that would work nicely on a cruiser. They sell cheaply on Ebay pretty often. You would have to build a new wheel around the hub is the biggest discouragement. They wouldn't mess up the looks too much since there is one cable and the attachment bracket between the hub and the fork.

Should be pretty easy to come across in the UK since they are from there.

Cheers

Edit: Please delete, I was in the middle of typing this when he came across the same solution on his own.

...idios...
    Hey SSue,

Cheers for that. Your post has a little more information than mine; in case other people find themselves with a similar problem.
    Peace,
    Steve