Mountain Bike Action, July 1992.

-eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

10th article

Hey Rumpfy,

Great article, I don't know if I have this one at home.
    Did you notice the comment about how light the Campy parts are?
    And I know that Fat City eventually made more than 200, but I have never heard a definitive answer of how many were actually made.
    In a way I wish that they were not so collectable so that I could afford to ride mine.

Thanks for the memories!

rick

Illuminati

We the people ...

I've also got that article somewhere. its the 1 FAT I dont own (compared to rick I dont own any ;D )that I truly aspire to own. these days you find 2 kinds of 10ths. either seatube rusted away & in very poor condition (maybe I should just buy 1 of these & get it rebuilt?!)
    or pristine condition models that make 2000$!

I have all the (purple!) parts ready & waiting for a 10th, if anybody has 1 for sale?

ta

scant

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

purple parts

hey Scant,

If you tire of waiting for a 10th (yeah, right), I could use some purple stuff to re-do my lavendar Action Tec Shock-a-Billy.

I would not mind finding a used 10th, so that you could actually ride it. Did you notice the D & D East sticker on the 10th in the article? Wonder if they all have that?

VRC Illuminati
    I know that you can still get the D+D West decals...

-eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

Illuminati

We the people ...

LOL, nope, no chance of selling up! If I really cant find a 10th I'll look for a grellow & stick all the parts on that ;D

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    wow, what a great article. unfortunately ive got only mbas from 1993 til today........

my 10th has no d+d sticker, also the reviewed one seems to have a 17" c-c seat tube but an 100mm steerer tube . maybe this early one (serial# 004/200) was made like the standard yo eddy, the later m/l sized (= 17" c-c seat tube) had an 123mm steerer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rasaldul; 10-11-2004 at 10:27 AM.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Those Campy parts are light

Quote Originally Posted by fat chance guy
    Hey Rumpfy,

Great article, I don't know if I have this one at home.
    Did you notice the comment about how light the Campy parts are?
    And I know that Fat City eventually made more than 200, but I have never heard a definitive answer of how many were actually made.
    In a way I wish that they were not so collectable so that I could afford to ride mine.

Thanks for the memories!

rick
    The weight of the hubs was the only real downside. They were kinda hefty but the quality was out of this world.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

light parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    The weight of the hubs was the only real downside. They were kinda hefty but the quality was out of this world.
    Shayne,

My 10th is built up with NOS Campy, and while I have never weighed the parts, they look over-built to me.
    There has never been any doubt as to the quality (although I think that the thumbshifters look a bit cheap).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fat chance guy
    Shayne,

My 10th is built up with NOS Campy, and while I have never weighed the parts, they look over-built to me.
    There has never been any doubt as to the quality (although I think that the thumbshifters look a bit cheap).
    I used Campy Euclid in 91, like you guys have said, the quality of the construction and the finish was second to none. But, the feel of it, the weight, the shifting, and the ergonomics left quite a lot to be desired. Ive never had the chance to use the Record OR, Ive heard good things about it though.
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 10-11-2004 at 03:38 PM.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Do You Have a Record O.R. Group?

The Record O.R. parts that the 10th ani Fats came with were deffinately not overbuilt parts. They used the same hubs and derailleurs as the Record road group. The canti's were lighter than XTR, the thumbshifters were all aluminum and still the lightest shifters produced, The brake levers were on par with anything Dia-Compe or Suntour had out at the time, and the cranks were a bit heavier than XTR but I think this was mostly due to the steel mid and inner rings. As I said, the hubs were the only real weight penalty but the rear had 4 bearings and spun very long and smooth.

As F-B said the 1st generation Euclid parts were overbuilt and some of them quite odd but the 2nd generation groups from 1992-1995 were as good as anything Shimano or Suntour had to offer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Campy parts..

Hey Shayne,

I am not certain of the group, but from you have said, I would guess that it is not Record OR. Is the name on the components?

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Nope, no such luck.

Post a pic or two or email me some and I'll let you know what you have. There were 6 different Campy MTB groups and the only way to tell them apart is by sight. They have no names or model numbers on them. Campagnolo started labeling their parts a the year they discontinued MTB parts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Campy Gruppos

[QUOTE=Shayne]Post a pic or two...

Shayne,

I don't have the bike at home (it's at First Flight) so pics will have to wait until my next visit to the store (unless I can talk Jeff into it).
    Jeff and Wes may very well know the different gruppos, but I don't.
    Thank for the info.

rick