mtbr member
    Jul 2012

1" Stems and 1" Crowns

I am looking to do some playing around with some suspension forks on an older frame that I recently picked up. I am wanting to try out a set of new style downhill bars with it and wondering if anyone knows of any stems that I can be on the lookout for which are two bolt, 25.4MM. I have also been looking at things like the old Syncros with the hinge as that would also allow me to install the bars but would love some insight on others to keep looking for.

Additionally I am looking to do a RS SID conversion over to a 1" steerer. Thus far finding a 1" Judy donor is proving a bit of a challenge. The SID is on its way to me through a Klein that I picked up off fleabay and wondering if anyone knows of any other crowns that would work on a SID.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    If you're running threadless, you can always shim a 1 & 1/8" stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Some of the options I am exploring will likely be threaded but also looking at getting one of the quill adapters and using the slurry of Thomson Elite stems that I have sitting around. Definitely agree with that as an option though.

the new Gilbert Grape
    The quill adapters are a good way to experiment with different sized threadless stems (if you have spares to try out).

Salsa SUL quill stems have a removable face plate. They're not super vintage - from about 2000 - but they look fine on a vintage bike.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    Some of the options I am exploring will likely be threaded but also looking at getting one of the quill adapters and using the slurry of Thomson Elite stems that I have sitting around. Definitely agree with that as an option though.
    Thomson Elite stems? Not very vintagey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am never too much of a purist as I like to mix a lot of different stuff and this is just to mess around with a few different setups anyways. It is going to have a bunch of parts on it that will make you shudder trust me.

Remember I noted up top that I was going to mess around with a riser bar on it........