Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

YouTube Or Vimeo? Two Aspects...

I was watching, or at least trying, to watch a video earlier and this came to mind. Actually two things:

1. Which do you prefer to watch, Youtube or Vimeo? I never have a problem with Youtube when it comes to watching, even in higher quality (other than the time it takes to load.) Almost always smooth and consistent. Vimeo, on the other hand, is a pain.

Seems to take forever to load, is usually quite choppy and overall a real pain in the butt. My computer is quite nice and set up for gaming and can handle video quite easily. My son has a smoking computer and he complains of the same thing. In all I five computers in my house and the one I use in the office, and it is the same with them all. Stuff like Hulu, Crackle, etc., all work fine, Vimeo is my proverbial thorn.

It has got to the point where if I click a link for a video and I see that it is Vimeo, I just hit the back button and move on.

2. Having never used Vimeo for anything but viewing, how is it in comparison to Youtube as far a uploading stuff?

Anybody have any tips that might make Vimeo a little better for me?

No, that's not phonetic
    YouTube tends to buffer a lot of video before playing it. Vimeo tends not to do this and when the playhead catches up with the buffer point it pauses, buffers, plays, catches up to the end of the buffer again, and so on. If I watch a Vimeo vid, I hit play and then immediately pause, and wait until I see the buffer amount go past the half way point before starting the vid again. I just surf in some other tabs while the vid loads. I've never seen a Vimeo vid that was not smooth when I did this.

I never use YouTube due to the music embed issues.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CharleyGnarlyP290 View Post
    I was watching, or at least trying, to watch a video earlier and this came to mind. Actually two things:

1. Which do you prefer to watch, Youtube or Vimeo? I never have a problem with Youtube when it comes to watching, even in higher quality (other than the time it takes to load.) Almost always smooth and consistent. Vimeo, on the other hand, is a pain.

Seems to take forever to load, is usually quite choppy and overall a real pain in the butt. My computer is quite nice and set up for gaming and can handle video quite easily. My son has a smoking computer and he complains of the same thing. In all I five computers in my house and the one I use in the office, and it is the same with them all. Stuff like Hulu, Crackle, etc., all work fine, Vimeo is my proverbial thorn.

It has got to the point where if I click a link for a video and I see that it is Vimeo, I just hit the back button and move on.

2. Having never used Vimeo for anything but viewing, how is it in comparison to Youtube as far a uploading stuff?

Anybody have any tips that might make Vimeo a little better for me?
    I stopped using YouTube as an upload location because at the time they didn't support 1080pHD video the largest upload was a 720pHD so I had to down sample to upload or it messed with its aspect ratio. I am sure they took care of that now but I just kept at Vimeo because of it.

I agree with the Vimeo watching experience however. The buffer is too small and you get a really jumpy playback experience. I also do the pause then return with any Vimeo video. They do have a nice setup however.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    YouTube has far more strict music censoring than Vimeo. That's the reason I use Vimeo now.

As for playback, I agree that it is best to pause Vimeo to allow the buffer to build up.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    YouTube has far more strict music censoring than Vimeo. That's the reason I use Vimeo now.

As for playback, I agree that it is best to pause Vimeo to allow the buffer to build up.
    with most song now on youtube you just have to list/credit the song in the video, they will link to a purchase site and allow it. there is only one recording company that doesn't understand it's friggin free advertising ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'll give that a try. Is that lone recording company Universal?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I honestly have no clue, just know a mess of stuff that used to be blocked is now playable.. only one song I have uploaded attached to a vid was blocked, and i don't remember which one it was ... sooooo I'm pretty useless there

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Not useless at all. Thanks for the information. I will try to upload my Vimeo videos to YouTube with artist credits and see what happens. The YouTube version seems to be higher quality especially in full screen mode.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Not useless at all. Thanks for the information. I will try to upload my Vimeo videos to YouTube with artist credits and see what happens. The YouTube version seems to be higher quality especially in full screen mode.
    ya,.. it'll still pop up the warning, just let it ride and about 90% will go through and have the "purchase the song" link on the bottom

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    How do you list/credit the song in the video? Is there a tag or something you can add in YouTube?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    How do you list/credit the song in the video? Is there a tag or something you can add in YouTube?
    I think you can do it inside youtube with their little editor.. i just throw the song and artist in text during the vid... usually in the first min or two.. or at the end with "credits"...

mtbr member
    Itís not just one recording studio. My wife is a dance choreographer. Others learn her dances and create instructional videos. The more videos of a good dance and the higher it goes on the charts. It kind of kills a new dance if no one can post a video of your dance. They often get blocked in just a few countries. She just learns to stay away from some studiosÖ such as WMG (Warner Music Group), SME (Sony), and a few othersÖ Songs under UMG (Universal Music Group) and a few others blocked in only some countries by you tube. Seems like Youtube blocks videos in Germany more often than other countries.

What my wife taught me to do was pick a song you like and create a dummy vid with old left over footage and post it (but donít forward it out to others yet obviously). Let it sit on youtube for a while. Usually you know right away if itís going to be blocked. Best to know if its going to be blocked before you put a lot of editing (or in her case choreography) work in. But even then, I had one blocked (WMG) in the US after it was posted successfully for over a month Ė so go figure. (FYI, there is some risk in doing this as they can remove your youtube account if you have too many blocked videos...)

Listing song credits at the end? I donít think thatís going to prevent Youtube from blocking a song from one of the major lables. Isnít that more about giving the little guys credit for the hard work they put in to create a song?

I havenít posted to Vimeo. Do they block content like youtube?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have never had a video censored in Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i have always thought vimeo had better quality than youtube,,,,, i was always told/advised if you wanted higher viewings then upload vids to you tube, if you want better quality then upload to vimeo...
    both vimeo and youtube work fine for me,,,,, the only time they slow down is during peak times. i notice that both youtube and vimeo can run real slow during peak times.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    when you guys mention about youtubes music copyright, what has happend to your vids that have breached this copyright ?
    in the past i have had audio pulled for breaching their copyright, usually the wmg thingy, then i noticed a few months back that one of my vids got pulled for breaching their copyright !, has anyone else had this problem,?,,

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    when you guys mention about youtubes music copyright, what has happend to your vids that have breached this copyright ?
    it will just go silent and a warning will go up stating the music is copy righted

mtbr member
    Yep same here. I posted a video on youtube. Less than 4 hours later I get a copyright infringement notice and the music in the video was muted. I submitted the request saying that I own the album, which I in fact do, and 2 days later the video returned to normal. Now while I understand the whole anti-pirating aspect of what they're doing it's a hassle. I mean c'mon the time it takes between turning the sound off and back on is long IMO. So I signed up for a vimeo account. That same video hasn't been touched.

So the way I figure it is I'll continue to use both. However if there's any chance of the sound getting muted it will go on vimeo. The rest will go on my youtube channel..

Tails

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    So far, my youtube videos remain on the site with sound muted. An interesting note, if I embed the video on another site, the sound works! (simply pasting the youtube link, not the embed code). Here's a comparison video on each site... Also, change the YouTube quality setting to 720p.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    audio is "X"ed out.. no sound on the Youtube, even in the embeding

pretty crazy-fun looking ride there!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I used the embed code on MTBR. Another site, I just pasted the url and it worked fine.

Regarding the ride, I really liked this trail. I wasn't expecting much since it was close to town and seemed to be less hyped, but it was really a cool trail.

mtbr member
    I used the embed code on MTBR. Another site, I just pasted the url and it worked fine.

Youtube leaves you signed in. If you are signed in to your account, you can see your own blocked videos or hear the muted audio on your own videos while we can't. Its possible that you're hearing the audio we can't because you're logged in and watching your own video?

While on the youtube page, click on your account name on the upper right and then "sign out"... Now check it out from any of the sites you've embedded it on and see if the audio works!

FYI - youtube sometimes blocks the whole video. If you are in the US, here's an example of what a totally blocked video looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0KSh6PJp2E

It works fine outside the US. I still see the stats increasing slowly in other coutries but its blocked in the US... Go figure...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Upon re-reading my post, I was not clear. I cannot hear audio in the Youtube video I posted here. I can't hear it on Youtube's site either. Logged in or out. I can hear it on another site. Odd too that a friend with Youtube on his TV can hear the audio as well. Haven't tried on my phone. Weird...

I'm likely going to dump the videos and stick with Vimeo.

mtbr member
    For anyone out there worrying about WMG Copyright Infringmment problems on YouTube, all you have to do to use any song you want for background music is: youtube search "wmg copyright resolve" and there are numerous video's explaining how to get your audio back for your videos. Follow the instuctions and you will never have to worry about copyright infringement issue again assuming you are not making a profit off of your video's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PutSumStankOnIt View Post
    For anyone out there worrying about WMG Copyright Infringmment problems on YouTube, all you have to do to use any song you want for background music is: youtube search "wmg copyright resolve" and there are numerous video's explaining how to get your audio back for your videos. Follow the instuctions and you will never have to worry about copyright infringement issue again assuming you are not making a profit off of your video's.
    Thanks. Just gave that a shot. I'll post up the results.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PutSumStankOnIt View Post
    Dude, you rock! Searched it, followed the instructions, and it worked!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast