mtbr member

YouTube and Music?

So far I've created two videos. The first I used Foriegners "Feels Like the First Time" which immediately was flagged when I uploaded. It gave me the option to change with YouTube approved music. The second video I used a DJ's mix that he gives for free on his website. YouTube flagged it as third party music and I agreed it was, however the music is still on the video. How is it that all of you go about selecting music on your videos?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    It can be quite the pain. Its more or less a trial / error thing for me (which makes it, somewhat, irratating, when I create a video based around the music). There is always the option of using another video hosting site.

Personally I use whatever music fits the video; if spreading to a larger audience, I'll make the video non-public, forward the link to the artist (not the release group!) to see if they will give me permission to use it in a public manner. If the video / audio go well together (and not just hashed together like 90% of all youtube videos), then you'll get the go-ahead. It's free advertising.

Written permission is the key, so if you do get a DMCA takedown request, you have the legal methods of getting the video back again.

What is really fun times is when your video gets taken down because of its name.. and the group accuses you of using its music (which you didn't; they used a mass-dmca spam takedown request bot to issue the challenges), and they refuse to budge (they eventually did / do through the use of.. grey areas - not advocating this in any way). Submitting a DMCA takedown notice should be submitted under oath of perjury IMO.

mtbr member
    I pretty much used the music to edit to in both videos. So it's kindof a let down when you have to choose something else. I'm not even sure what the deal is with the second video. I didn't hit the dispute button. But it left the music on. Whereas the first one YouTube notified me that I could change the music. I was thinking about having a friend mix some music for me, however that's a drag to have to wait for. I would assume there would be some master list you could search somewhere to see what's allowed on YouTube but I've been unsuccessful in finding it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    There isn't (a list). It is a deal with record companies / the DMCA / Google has in place so that Google isn't in court for "music sharing" on a regular basis.

The mix of the song is what allowed it to go through their automated finder process. It was sufficiently broken up so it was not recognizable by whatever method they use.

Edit to add: It is not about the song / artist.. it's about the record label. Whoever is in charge of distribution (Sony Music, EBI, etc..) will give the list of everything they own to Google. Not sure how often it is "updated" though.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    You could search for royalty free music and use those - the downside is alot of those are free for a reason which is they aren't that good. There are some good songs out there that are free, just have to do more digging. If you know anyone in a local band, you could ask them for permission to use their songs - free advertising for them and most of them I would reckon would be more than happy to get their music out to everyone.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    There is a work around, it will make your video available until its disputed, this video will explain it.... How to avoid copyright on YouTube (2013) - YouTube

I had one of my videos blocked, but this helped me resolve it for now.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Kemc2k6 View Post
    There is a work around, it will make your video available until its disputed, this video will explain it.... How to avoid copyright on YouTube (2013) - YouTube

I had one of my videos blocked, but this helped me resolve it for now.
    yup.. what he said.. I did that and i also put "credits" of the song and artist so when uploaded U-tube can link it easy wit hItunes and other music purchase places.. haven't have a song blocked in a long time since. As long as you're not trying to use it as advertising.. just has to be "personal" no company or anything.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    How long have you had the video up with that change? That's definitely good info.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    some for years for me..

this one used to be blocked.. after the above link it was released like a week later..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlrRl9nC74k
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbg33k View Post
    How long have you had the video up with that change? That's definitely good info.
    It's been two days, and it said it will be reviewed by may 15th, It's suppose to work though, all you're saying is that you're not using the music to make money.

mtbr member
    I gave up on YouTube. I only use it to 'dump' the unedited raw footage.

For edits, I use http://vimeo.com instead. I never had a bullshit copyright notice with them. It's a friendly community for the amateur film maker.