Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

YouTube and Music?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr Kermit the Frog 
#1 ·
So far I've created two videos. The first I used Foriegners "Feels Like the First Time" which immediately was flagged when I uploaded. It gave me the option to change with YouTube approved music. The second video I used a DJ's mix that he gives for free on his website. YouTube flagged it as third party music and I agreed it was, however the music is still on the video. How is it that all of you go about selecting music on your videos?

#2 ·
It can be quite the pain. Its more or less a trial / error thing for me (which makes it, somewhat, irratating, when I create a video based around the music). There is always the option of using another video hosting site.

Personally I use whatever music fits the video; if spreading to a larger audience, I'll make the video non-public, forward the link to the artist (not the release group!) to see if they will give me permission to use it in a public manner. If the video / audio go well together (and not just hashed together like 90% of all youtube videos), then you'll get the go-ahead. It's free advertising.

Written permission is the key, so if you do get a DMCA takedown request, you have the legal methods of getting the video back again.

What is really fun times is when your video gets taken down because of its name.. and the group accuses you of using its music (which you didn't; they used a mass-dmca spam takedown request bot to issue the challenges), and they refuse to budge (they eventually did / do through the use of.. grey areas - not advocating this in any way). Submitting a DMCA takedown notice should be submitted under oath of perjury IMO.

#3 ·
I pretty much used the music to edit to in both videos. So it's kindof a let down when you have to choose something else. I'm not even sure what the deal is with the second video. I didn't hit the dispute button. But it left the music on. Whereas the first one YouTube notified me that I could change the music. I was thinking about having a friend mix some music for me, however that's a drag to have to wait for. I would assume there would be some master list you could search somewhere to see what's allowed on YouTube but I've been unsuccessful in finding it.

#4 ·
There isn't (a list). It is a deal with record companies / the DMCA / Google has in place so that Google isn't in court for "music sharing" on a regular basis.

The mix of the song is what allowed it to go through their automated finder process. It was sufficiently broken up so it was not recognizable by whatever method they use.

Edit to add: It is not about the song / artist.. it's about the record label. Whoever is in charge of distribution (Sony Music, EBI, etc..) will give the list of everything they own to Google. Not sure how often it is "updated" though.

#5 ·
You could search for royalty free music and use those - the downside is alot of those are free for a reason which is they aren't that good. There are some good songs out there that are free, just have to do more digging. If you know anyone in a local band, you could ask them for permission to use their songs - free advertising for them and most of them I would reckon would be more than happy to get their music out to everyone.

#7 ·
yup.. what he said.. I did that and i also put "credits" of the song and artist so when uploaded U-tube can link it easy wit hItunes and other music purchase places.. haven't have a song blocked in a long time since. As long as you're not trying to use it as advertising.. just has to be "personal" no company or anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.