mtbr member

New question here. Your Favourite Way To Mount POV Cameras

I like the perspective from the chest mount, but it gets kinda rough and shaky on technical sections. I also like the bar mount and helmet mount, but I cant stand the seat post mount.

mtbr member
    Headtube
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I usually mount my coutour to my helmet, but I also like the sound quality better when mounted to my handlebars.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Your Favourite Way To Mount POV Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by campergf23 View Post
    I like the perspective from the chest mount, but it gets kinda rough and shaky on technical sections. I also like the bar mount and helmet mount, but I cant stand the seat post mount.
    Head tube

Ram roll cage mount low on the fork, pointing back at the rear tire. Sometimes pointing forward.

Seat post, back view, also with the roll cage mount

Use the hemet mount but it is my least favorite. Flattens the terrain and the most shaky
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Head tube

Ram roll cage mount low on the fork, pointing back at the rear tire. Sometimes pointing forward.

Seat post, back view, also with the roll cage mount

Use the hemet mount but it is my least favorite. Flattens the terrain and the most shaky
    ya... I like it mounted at the head tube the best on the frame.. lest shaky, best POV of the trail...

I made a custom mount for my contour with some scraps of Azek (a poly trim board used in exterior construction) then stuck a surface mount on it...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I like to use lots of different mounting options. The Chesty is my go to since it's so easy and provides the best POV. Sometimes I'll actually wrap my Chesty around a tree for a static shot as I ride by.

Use the Roll bar mount on the downtube (forward & backwards) and on a fork leg.

Mount the GoPro on top of your helmet pointing backwards and have a buddy follow you.

On of my favorite mounting positions is done using the handlebar mount and pieces from the grab bag to mount it on the chainstay. Mount it forwards and backwards.

Here's a video I made from a trip to Rays last winter using a bunch of different mounting options

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfactor1 View Post
    On of my favorite mounting positions is done using the handlebar mount and pieces from the grab bag to mount it on the chainstay. Mount it forwards and backwards.
    Wow, that's quite the Rube Goldberg mount! Probably a pretty good perspective, but I'd worry about the camera getting clipped by rocks, bushes or whatnot.

Another reason I think the Contour form factor makes them an overall better option than GoPro. I could do the same thing with a single strap mount or stick on mount and rotate the lens to upright and not have to mess with flipping the video (though, if I understand it right, GoPro can do this right on the camera, so not a big issue for mounting the camera upside down, right?)
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Wow, that's quite the Rube Goldberg mount! Probably a pretty good perspective, but I'd worry about the camera getting clipped by rocks, bushes or whatnot.

Another reason I think the Contour form factor makes them an overall better option than GoPro. I could do the same thing with a single strap mount or stick on mount and rotate the lens to upright and not have to mess with flipping the video (though, if I understand it right, GoPro can do this right on the camera, so not a big issue for mounting the camera upside down, right?)
    Actually, using this setup isn't as wide as the pedals so I've never tagged it on anything.

And yes GoPro's have an upside down setting right in the camera. In fact, if you're using a Chesty you should be mounting your camera upside down. It allows you aim the camera up farther so you get a better POV shot than the typical mostly top tube/trail shot.

What could go wrong ...
    " if I understand it right, GoPro can do this right on the camera, so not a big issue for mounting the camera upside down, right?)"

Yes the GoPro can invert the image in cam

I cant say that I have a favorite one, I try and use them all so I have more stuff to edit with. I do multiple laps with the cam in a different spot every time. I dont really worry about banging the GoPro on the ground or rocks, those cases are pretty tough and mine has survived so far with no probs.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post

Another reason I think the Contour form factor makes them an overall better option than GoPro. .........
    ya,.. I'd take that thing out during a stone wall slip thru for sure!! my rear quick release's are all chewed up from it. But if you can get away with it I bet it is a great view!!

I do like the chesty mount thou.. thinking of trying one of the cheaper GoPro knock off's to use along with my contour for more views...

Nice vid of Rays by the way,.. think I've seen it before but it's still fun to watch
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/