Thread: Winter Riding

Ride More, Whine Less

Winter Riding

My wife gave me a GoPro Black for my birthday present a few days back. I was eager to get started, but I had to wait until this weekend before I had enough workable daylight to use it.

Saturday bright and early I headed out for a quick loop. It was 5 degrees F at the start and there was plenty of snow on the ground to enjoy.

Here is the profile of ride since it is a hard to tell about the terrain in the video.

The climb out was a mixture of 8-15% grade. Even the ride down the hill was rough in the snow since there is no coasting--you must pedal every inch. All in all, it was a great ride and the first real video with the camera. Unfortunately, I learned when I edited the video that I didn't get the camera angled correctly.

Video: This was shot with 1080/48fps with protune turned on. The editing was on iMovie, which required the video to be converted to 24 fps.
    Snow Ride Dec 22 2012 - YouTube

Ride number 2 on the day was a fat bike demo day at the LBS. I learned from the first video and did a better job of setting the camera angle. Again, this was still learning the camera. I changed the frame rate to 30 and left protune on.
    Fun stuff here: goose charge, and a near wreck at 2min (you break you buy at demo day???).
    2012 12 22 Fat Bike Demo - YouTube

Ride More, Whine Less
    New video from today's ride

Biking in the cold in Rochester, MN - YouTube

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    cool !

Ride More, Whine Less
    Not really a bike video, but this is just some winter fun I had today

Cross country skiing - YouTube

Ride More, Whine Less
    New footage from this weekend's ride

Eastwood Park Mountain Biking Jan 5 2013 - YouTube

Tool
    Here's how we do it in NH when the conditions are right (pardon the age of these):

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    sweet vids thank for sharing! makes me realize my cold rides could be even colder!

I am the owl
    We had snow on Christmas so of course my wife and I had to go out and ride.

Used Sony Movie Studio for the edit.

White Christmas Ride 2012

First tracks on Christmas morning on the Catoctin Trail in the Frederick Municipal Forest.

SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Ride More, Whine Less
    riderx, did you edit some of the clips in at 1.5 or 2x speed? I've never been able to carry that kind of speed on snow.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    riderx, did you edit some of the clips in at 1.5 or 2x speed? I've never been able to carry that kind of speed on snow.
    No, that was all shot and edited at actual speed. I'm new to video editing and haven't even begun to play with speeding things up or slowing them down.

I have a 3.7 Larry up front and 2.2 Nevegal in the rear. I drop the air pressure a lot when I ride in the snow, it helps a ton for control. This trail flows really well in the snow and I like to push it to see how fast I can rail it.

This is my bike setup with DIY GoPro mount on the fork:
    Jones in the snow
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Ride More, Whine Less
    ^ that is great. I love the gopro perch you have. I am only running 2.2 and it is not enough.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    ^ that is great. I love the gopro perch you have. I am only running 2.2 and it is not enough.
    Sometimes I run the 2.2 up front instead of the big fattie. As a rule of thumb, for the 2.2s I generally drop my tire pressure by 1/2 of my usual pressure. On the fat tire I usually drop about 1/3 of my usual pressure.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Steep Hill

Here's a quickie (only 39 seconds) of me riding a really steep hill on a local hiking trail earlier this week. The little bit of ice/snow mix we had on the trail that day had really good traction so I went for it.
    This is my 1st YouTube upload and my first ride with a camera, so I have some things to work out (the quality of the original is much better).

Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Laramie, Wyoming

Ride More, Whine Less
    Here are some clips from today's ride. It was a brisk 14F, but at least the sun was shining. Total ride was ~10 miles around town on the urban bike paths.

Rochester Loop 1 26 2013 - YouTube