mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New question here. What's the "correct" mounting angle when using a GoPro & chest mount?

I finally took the plunge and invested in a GoPro and chest mount harness. I've read in a couple different places that when you use the chest mount and install the GoPro flat against your chest the angle-of-view is not ideal. People complain that there's too much sky and not enough trail when it's mounted flat like that so they say a little downward tilt is needed. Is there a consensus out there for what kind of tilt angle I should try? Or just keep redoing the same trails again and again till I figure it out myself? I don't mind some tinkering, but I'd love to be a little closer to dialed in to begin with so it only needs some minor adjustments, not a total revisit.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I'm a Contour user, so take this with a grain of salt, but a GP guy told me to angle it down and mount the camera upside down for the best angle. Then flip it upright in post processing.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

banned
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I'm a Contour user, so take this with a grain of salt, but a GP guy told me to angle it down and mount the camera upside down for the best angle. Then flip it upright in post processing.
    Big grain of salt...

You can change the orientation in the camera menu (or via the remote/iPhone/Android app etc. if applicable) and there is no need to flip in post.

If you prefer chesty mount video (personally, I think it sucks 99.9% of the time) that's the way to capture it. Upside down GP + change capture mode via camera or app.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thank you thank you! I'm going to run with this setup for the first time tomorrow. I don't know if I'll have the energy to review and edit the footage right away to see how it goes, but the angle already looks good and is more braced when mounted this way. Good tip!

re member
    There's a couple chesty shots in this video. I flip the camera upside down (and change the orientation in the menu), and point it really really high up. The tendency here is to not point it high enough. To me, when you get the "perfect" angle, the camera is pointing up about 45 when you are standing up wearing the chest mount. Once you lean over when you start to ride, the camera rolls down to the horizon.

Me and Susie JRA from Clay Morgan on Vimeo.

Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    For my first trial run I set the camera in 3 different positions. One, mostly even with the base plate, but not pressed against it, a 45* angle like you described and something in the middle... I haven't uploaded the video yet, but I'll be sure to share my thoughts and observations.

re member
    Cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    You've just got to remember to flip the GoPro settings back when you put it back on a helmet mount or it gets really annoying editing the vid after...

Doh!
    Last edited by NordieBoy; 08-25-2013 at 02:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

This is the last of three angles I tried, as you can see just slightly more than 45 degrees. This was close, but still not enough upward angle to get that "just enough handlebar" look that I like about chesty videos. I need to crank it up another 10 or 15 degrees next time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I guess I should say I am about 5'6" and if someone is much taller than me possibly this angle shown above would be correct. I need it tilted up a little more because the camera isn't sitting as far off the bike as it may sit on some other torsos.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drifty bits View Post
    Big grain of salt...

You can change the orientation in the camera menu (or via the remote/iPhone/Android app etc. if applicable) and there is no need to flip in post.

If you prefer chesty mount video (personally, I think it sucks 99.9% of the time) that's the way to capture it. Upside down GP + change capture mode via camera or app.
    Really? Big grain of salt? So I pretty much gave the guy accurate advice (run the cam upside down) and didn't know the box had the ability to flip integral to itself.

No, I think just a regular grain is the appropriate expression, with the exception of someone with a bit of insecurity?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

banned
    Aug 2013
    Really? Big grain of salt? So I pretty much gave the guy accurate advice (run the cam upside down) and didn't know the box had the ability to flip integral to itself.

No, I think just a regular grain is the appropriate expression, with the exception of someone with a bit of insecurity?
    You only have yourself to blame for your lack of knowledge and your insecurity.

Best of luck working through those issues!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hey hey, come on now. I don't know if some of these comments are being taken out of context or the humor isn't being conveyed through the written language, but there's no need for anybody to take offense here. I'll take all the input I can get, even from people who own a different system. This is a great community if we all support each other!

mtbr member
    Seems like your stepping over the line w/ this comment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drifty bits View Post
    You only have yourself to blame for your lack of knowledge and your insecurity.

Best of luck working through those issues!
    And this is how a thread devolves into a flame war.

mtbr member
    It really is just a bit of trial and error... But GoPro made things a lot easier with the latest update! Now you can view your videos on your smartphone, so you can ride a bit, watch the video, and adjust!

mtbr member
    Point the camera at your nose using the chest mount while standing up. Video while bent over will be decent. The best in my opinion is the k-edge handlebar mount. I thought it'd be super awful because of the vibration, but my friends and I have found it to be a lot more smooth than any gopro mount (and I do have the chesty). Here's a link to the video I just made using the handlebar link: https://vimeo.com/73243174

My little friends
    Also, make an index mark on the mount's hinge so you can reference the angle next time for a quick setup.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Caveat, if your trails are really rough, you're going to get some shake using the chesty mount. I wear my hydration pack over mine which stabilizes it somewhat (at least enough for my local trails) but all the chesty video I took at Whistler was unwatchable.

mtbr member
    I have tried mounting the camera upside down and got an entire video of my face. The correct mount and angle varies from rider to rider. If you jack your seat post up above your handle bars, then you might consider the upside down mount. Seat post below the handle bars, then I would not suggest mounting upside down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuhsojoshuA View Post

This angle does not work for all riders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Definitely not, Spoook! And as I said, that angle pictured was STILL not pointed up enough to be just perfect. I'm quite sure a rider's torso length, height off the handle bars and various other things will all affect the camera angle a bit. All of that is why I approached the question with "correct" in quotation marks. Despite a couple bumps in the conversation I found the advise provided in this thread to be quite helpful!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoook View Post
    I have tried mounting the camera upside down and got an entire video of my face. The correct mount and angle varies from rider to rider. If you jack your seat post up above your handle bars, then you might consider the upside down mount. Seat post below the handle bars, then I would not suggest mounting upside down.
    If your torso is leaning forward at all, then mounting the camera upside down will work.

mtbr member
    Trial and error .. the steeper the corse the bigger the angle.. remember to mount upside down... just get out and use the piss out of it and youll just know after a while

keep making videos this site needs more!!

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoook View Post
    If you're filming seated riding you're probably creating boring footage. If you're going downhill, you shouldn't be seated so the saddle height shouldn't be a factor.