Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

What SD card to use with GoPro HD?

I just got a GoPro Hero HD for Christmas and it did not come with a SD card. I know some people have had trouble with certain cards and I am wondering what is the best card for the money (brand and size) that will work well. I have seen 32gb cards ranging from $75 to $400???

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I just ordered the slightly less problem prone contour HD. Just search the threads and on line support forum---I remember it being mentioned somewhere which brands had been officially tested. I thought maybe Kingston is one of them.

I sent a email to VIO and received a reply today that HD is definately "in the works", that they are paying attention to customer feedback, but development and timeline has not been cast yet....argh...could be a year, could be 3 years---they're holding their cards close.

Quote Originally Posted by jrob1775
    I just got a GoPro Hero HD for Christmas and it did not come with a SD card. I know some people have had trouble with certain cards and I am wondering what is the best card for the money (brand and size) that will work well. I have seen 32gb cards ranging from $75 to $400???

Thanks,
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Now using a Patriot 16GB SDHC Class 6 and a Maxflash 4GB SDHC Class 6 with no issues. Had trouble with Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 6.

mtbr member
    I am using a Kodak 8GB 2 class without issue and ordered a Kingston 16GB 4 class.
    I also used a Kodak 4 GB 4 class and had no issues - I'm not sure what the class differences mean in terms of actual camera performance.
    a 16GB card can be had on Amazon for less than $40 with free shipping. 32GB cards will outlast your battery and you can get 2 16's for less $$. That way if 1 card fails, you have a backup.

What are some of the issues being reported with SD cards? Aren't they all the same except class?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I may have a defective unit, or old firmware, but so far my experience has been problematic.

The freebie MaxFlash SDHC 4GB class 6 card would only record 3 minutes or so worth of video at a time. Admittedly, the video was very nice at the 960p setting.

I thought the memory card was at fault, so I ordered the Kingston Ultimate 133x 16GB SDHC. With this card, I could not even get the camera to record video. When I initiated the video, it would simply beep and immediately stop. After inspecting the file system on the PC, no video files were created. I know the card works because I can copy files back and forth with the camera plugged into the USB port.

I'm waiting to hear back from GoPro, but I'm starting to wonder if a lot of these memory card issues might actually be operating system glitches with the camera rather than hardware related.
    Last edited by lgoats; 12-28-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Woodlot local
    This "SD CARD INCOMPATIBILITY" issue is turning out to be a royal PITA!!!

I had issues with a card that works perfectly in several devices I own and then in the GoPro HD it recorded 1 video then nothing. I reformatted and still nothing. This is a GOPRO issue that appears to be a problem they are working on with a firmware update. Luckily I remembered I had a SD card in my cell phone and used it with success on a recent ride in a GoPro HD.

I feel really bad for people that are spending good money on quality memory cards only to find out that their camera finds it incompatible.

So to contribute to the list of cards that actually work in the GoPro HD camera I can confirm that the following card is GOOD.

Core Micro - Micro SD HC 4GB Class 6 (Micro SD Card used in an adapter within the GoPro HD)
    Last edited by BobRocket; 12-30-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Team Fearless Descender
    I will add to the "so far, so good" cards. Just got my GP HD today and did some testing. So far I'm impessed. I have the GP Wide and liked that, but the HD is very nice. So far, have only used a SanDisk Extreame III 4gb / class 6 and have had not problems while testing (shooting several times to a full card).
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Definitely don't seem to be having much luck with a 16GB Transcend card. The first video attempt on power-up results in a few seconds of what appears to be video recording, but nothing actually gets saved to the card. After that, any shutter click just causes three beeps and the number on the front indexes by one. Off in search of a Kingston card...

mtbr member
    I'm using a Kingston 8 GB SDHC card.

It works well.

adata class 6 8 gb works fine. 24.99 at fry's electronics

fux
    Scooterist
    No problem with my Kingston 16GB SDHC class 4. Bought for 25 on ebay.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Kingston 16GB Class6: Only records about 4GB on r5 1080

I'm looking for class4 on ebay

Grams Light Bikes
    SD Cards seem to be hit and miss, my Transcend 16GB has worked like a charm? I wouldn't bother with a 32GB unless you have 2 battery packs.

Note: all of the sport cameras will only record at a max of 4GB files, and then they start a new segment/file, so if you are recording constantly you will see files like this...3.84GB, 3.83GB, 3.84GB, etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What kind of batteries are you guys using with the GoPro?

fux
    Scooterist
    gopro hd comes with its own rechargeble.
    Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fux
    gopro hd comes with its own rechargeble.
    I won mine in a contest so I'm not really sure what model it is. There is no reference to model name anywhere on it, or the packaging.

It did come with a surfboard mount and I know it takes AAA batteries. I took a minute long test video and it seems to be a standard aspect camera (no wide-screen, no hd).

Also I had an extra 8GB SD card lying around from my Canon camera and that worked fine. I thought this camera can only use 2GB according to their website.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I only use Sandisk SDHC cards in my GoProHD and my Nikon D90 and have never had a issue in either camera with any of my 5 cards.

I use the Sandisc Extreme 30MB/s cards. they're Class 10. One thing I've found over the years is the higher end brand name flash memory products whether it be a USB stick CF, or SDHC are more reliable.
    '10 Pivot Cycles Mach 5! -- 07' C'dale Prophet 3 -- 08' C'dale Caffeine HT /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Pivot FTW

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I got the 16GB card that expires at around 2.5 hrs of recording time on a single battery charge.

Make sure it's at least a class 4 card or the video can be choppy.

Class 6 is more ideal and 10 is the best.

Woodlot local
    Quote Originally Posted by sluflyer06
    I only use Sandisk SDHC cards in my GoProHD and my Nikon D90 and have never had a issue in either camera with any of my 5 cards.

I use the Sandisc Extreme 30MB/s cards. they're Class 10. One thing I've found over the years is the higher end brand name flash memory products whether it be a USB stick CF, or SDHC are more reliable.
    Please post the specifics of the cards. Size of the card is extremely important for your info to be of any use.

I'm not trying to be a prick, but its all about the details and its the details that GoPro forgot to check that is causing us consumers these 'issues'.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by helexia23
    I won mine in a contest so I'm not really sure what model it is. There is no reference to model name anywhere on it, or the packaging.

It did come with a surfboard mount and I know it takes AAA batteries. I took a minute long test video and it seems to be a standard aspect camera (no wide-screen, no hd).

Also I had an extra 8GB SD card lying around from my Canon camera and that worked fine. I thought this camera can only use 2GB according to their website.
    You have the original HERO (non HD), and as far as I know that have been no reported SD card issues. Here is a picture of the model difference. Besides the size and back battery area, the most obvious thing is that the HD does not have a viewport.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

class 4, 6, etc.

Is there really a difference in video quality when you use a class 4, class 6, or faster data rate card? Does GoPro specifically state to not use a card below a specific data rate?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    No there is no difference in video quality between a class 4 and class 6. (as long as your video plays back smoothly)

A class 4 means SD card has a minimum write Speed of 4 MByte/s and a class 6 = 6 MByte/s.

As the maximum rate of Gopro is 960P at 13min/gb (according to Gopro specs) then a class 4 is more than enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by luap
    No there is no difference in video quality between a class 4 and class 6. (as long as your video plays back smoothly)

A class 4 means SD card has a minimum write Speed of 4 MByte/s and a class 6 = 6 MByte/s.

As the maximum rate of Gopro is 960P at 13min/gb (according to Gopro specs) then a class 4 is more than enough.
    I'm seeing 15Mbit/sec as the maximum write speed for the GoPro, meaning class 4 (4Mbyte/sec = 32Mbit/sec) is over 2x faster than required. So, why would the video playback ever be choppy if you recorded using a class 4 card?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have now tried a Transcend 16GB Class 6, Kingston 32GB Class 4, and Sandisk 16GB Class 10.

The Transcend would not allow the camera to record in 960 mode. Kingston and Sandisk have been working fine in all modes. One thing to note...I thought I was having huge framerate issues with the Kingston recording in 1080p, but it was, in fact, down to the QuickTime playback and its weird hardware acceleration issues. Played back using Media Player Classic and it's nice and smooth. Cool!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

SD cards and old PC

Just something I discoverd about SD HD cards and Go pro.

I was having issue with my maxiflash 16 g that I got from point of view cameras
    the video was choppy and sound was off. They replaced the card, but the problem was still there.

what it turned out to be was more my PC and the mpeg-4 file type.

My PC being a few years old . this solved the problem

http://webvideouniversity.com/blog/2...video-cameras/

If you plan to edit your Go -pro videos, sony vegas 9 does have the ability down downgrade if not for a better word. After conversion. sound and video were perfect.
    I sure there are other software that can also do this. but for me and My older pc. this program is not a hugh memory hog.

I did buy a kingston 16 g class 4 card though. I will have to do some more testing to see if there is a differance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast