mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Which Wearable Gimbal Do You Use?

So the title says it all... which wearable gimbal do you use. How do you like it?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've got the GoPro Karma with the extension cord. The stabilization is very good but the audio with the Hero 5 is poor. The extension cord allows for the battery to be placed in a pack or pocket. If I was going to do it all over, I'd probably go with a Evo SS and and older GoPro.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    EVO SS Great so far,,,I'm concerned about sweating on it. Trying to make some sort of a shield to go around it to stop that. No clue how the other people are not sweating all over their gimbals-salt water is bad for sensitive electronics. Gimbal requires a bit of tweaking in the App settings to get dialed in. I'm still trying to figure out how to adjust the settings. I've asked, and apparently NOBODY makes changes to the settings in the app...Audio kind of sucks but I knew that ahead of time,,,There's a 3.5mm audio out jack on the gimbal. I wish they would have put the hardware and firmware in the gimbal to allow audio IN so we could just plug a small omni lavalier mic into the gimbal and be done with it. I think thats one of those things that would require extreme engineering to bypass the Gopro proprietary BS mic adapter since noone has come up with a solution for this and it's 2018!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Thanks for the replies. I was looking at ghe Yi 3 axis Gimbal. At $99 its not a big risk and seen some video on youtube. Not to bad. I will check some video on the EVO and Karma. I have a Yuneec Pro gimbal but its handheld and not sure of snyway to mount it. Plus it would be costly if I crashed and damaged the gimbal or camera that actually goes on my Typhon drone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mypupdaisy View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was looking at ghe Yi 3 axis Gimbal. At $99 its not a big risk and seen some video on youtube. Not to bad. I will check some video on the EVO and Karma. I have a Yuneec Pro gimbal but its handheld and not sure of snyway to mount it. Plus it would be costly if I crashed and damaged the gimbal or camera that actually goes on my Typhon drone.
    Are you sure? Yi looks like junk IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl6O-l-3ld8

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Wow, yeah the Yi has some issues. Thanks for the link.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    EVO SS/Zhiyun Rider. Karma is a joke. And a bad one at that. This and the other popular gimbal (cant recall brand, Feiyu I think) are so much better designed for being mounted on anything but a fancy selfy stick. Especially for our purposes as riders.

Thing is, Hero 5/6 is stupidly heavy, no gimbal handles them well. Thats why the audio issues and gimbal freak outs. Its not the gimbals. Its the weight of the Hero 5 and 6 (mic placement doesnt help).

I have several cameras these days, most of which dont get used:

Ion Air Pro wifi: first one I ever owned, still works somewhat

Gitup Git 1 and Git 2: some of the better low cost but not stupid cheap cameras

Yi 4k (solid camera for the price, couple annoying glitches) this is the camera I only use for my gimbal now. Bought it when I bought my gimbal.

Hero 5 Black: great but heaviest action camera I have ever seen. Not sure how a simply rubber coating can add so much weight. Always have problems using it with gimbal. But for daytime use I dont find a gimbal required if trails arent really rough. Built in stabilization does rather well. I use this camera for about everything EXCEPT gimbal footage. Ive had what should have been great footage trashed because gimbal cant deal with the weight under rough conditions.

My educated guess was the hero 5/6 was designed all about their drone along with the gimbal. Make the camera able to survive crashes along with other basic use. Karma gimbal was never designed along with Hero 5B to be used together with mountain bikers in mind.

If you want to use a gopro and a gimbal, avoid the Karma and get a Session 5B. $100 off right now, really fighting myself not to buy one as I need another camera like another hole in the head.

If your not dead set on a GoPro (dont need the absolute best video quality and options) then the Yi 4k works very well for the task though many are going to get angry when they read this. Sorry guys but I have them. GoPro is the better camera but Yi 4K is a close 2nd and deals with gimbals 10x better than GoPro is anywhere close to right now l

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

ultra grumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    ...GoPro is the better camera but Yi 4K is a close 2nd and deals with gimbals 10x better than GoPro is anywhere close to right now l
    Any point in getting the waterproof case for the Yi if it's only going to be used with the gimbal?

Also, it looks like you may have ended mid-sentence. Any other tidbits of wisdom? Thanks!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    No the end of sentence was a fat finger, small screen issue lol. Last part was simply to be "IMHO".

As for case, nope. I have a case for mine but never use it since I use my 5B for everything else.

Truth be told, I regretted not returning my YI 4K (I had planned to but missed the deadline, way more cash than I wanted to drop of camera gear buying 2 cameras in a month) till I started looking at why the 5B and gimbal dont play nice.

Yi 4K will piss you off possibly if you get the sd card error. Dont be cheap on the SD card. Highest bit rate and 32gig capacity. Avoid the error by refraining from power on/off cycles too close together and stop/start recording commands too much.

Latest ones may be fixed, but I dont stop recording unless I stop for a few minutes. Dont turn off unless Im done or sitting at a "rehydration stop" (aka break out the beer from our packs) and make sure its a few minutes before turning back on.

Also, dont be cheap on gimbals, there are a lot coming out now but the Yi is an example of difficulty getting them right. EVO SS/Zhiyun (exact same gimbals) and Feiyu. Feiyu has issue of connector coming loose inside, easy fix but can happen. Does NOT fit Yi 4k/H5B as of last check. Again an update version may be out now, my info is about a year old. Bought my stuff at end of 2016.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

ultra grumpy
    Wow, lots of good info there! I only have an old Sony action cam right now and last I checked gimbal options seem close to nonexistant (looked ~6 mos ago). I figured if I can switch to something 4K and work in a gimbal without breaking the bank it might be better to drop the Sony.

I'm definitely aware that cheapo cards are a waste, but is 32gb the max for the Yi?

I'll check out the 2 gimbals you mentioned, thanks! Tech moves fast, but from overseas it can definitely be a gamble.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    No 32gig isnt max, should have said minimum capacity. Max I think is 128. 16 fills up REALLY FAST when you arent emptying the card constantly.

Yes tech moves fast but gimbals are a niche market. Find plenty of cheap crap easily but few companies invest in good design thats "easily" wearable.

My favorite part of those gimbals, batteries are rechargeable lithium Ion cells that are easily acquired. Zhiyun came with a charger and 2 sets of batteries for the price. Feiyu I remember it came with a case, not sure about the rest since it got sent back when I figured out it fit the old Yi, not the bigger 4K (and of course wouldnt fit H5B either)

GoPro recording 4k is better than Yi in 4K and better in low light but the slight compromise is worth a gimbal doing its job well.

That said, in the next couple weeks Ill tell you how the Session 5 and Gimbal do. Sold some stuff unexpectedly without getting hammered on price so grabbed a Session 5 before they went back to normal price.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Gopro 5 Session will record at its highest bitrate (60MBPS) when you run it 4K30. Any resolution OTHER (Meaning Below 4K) you lose video quality (45MBPS and below). The difference is very noticeable too. I run both of my GP5 Sessions with Samsung 128gb Pro micro SD Card and a Sandisk Extreme Plus 64gb.

I record everything bike related in 4K30 with the GP5 Sessions. Feel free to check out samples on my youtube channel and go for it.
    www.youtube.com/armenian

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Actually 45 is enough for 1080.

The only difference to be seen is playing 1080 video on a large 4K designed screen. 60 is because 4k needs that because of the number of pixels being larger. Has nothing to do with 1080 only being 45.

The quality difference lies in the resolution and the screen its played back on. A youtube 4k video has issues watching on say, my phone. (One video of yours I watched was as bad as chinese camera bit rates). Brand new S8. Cant compare playback levels of 1080 and 4k on a 4k TV. Will be a big difference. Just like the mess I just watched on my phone.

Some of it is that youtube sucks in that regard.

Last edited by RAKC Ind; 1 Week Ago at 08:14 AM.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Actually 45 is enough for 1080.

The only difference to be seen is playing 1080 video on a large 4K designed screen. 60 is because 4k needs that because of the number of pixels being larger. Has nothing to do with 1080 only being 45.

The quality difference lies in the resolution and the screen its played back on. A youtube 4k video has issues watching on say, my phone. (One video of yours I watched was as bad as chinese camera bit rates). Brand new S8. Cant compare playback levels of 1080 and 4k on a 4k TV. Will be a big difference. Just like the mess I just watched on my phone.

Some of it is that youtube sucks in that regard.

Do some more research I'm not sure exactly what your argument is in your previous statement, so lets list a few facts:

When you upload your 4K video to youtube, Youtube detects the 4K resolution and offers a 4K Higher Playback bitrate = Sharper Image quality on BOTH 1080P AND 4K displays

4K Youtube delivers a higher bitrate no matter what resolution your monitor is.

Both of the above statements are facts from source Linus Tech Tips.
    The latter fact is also listed on youtube itself and should be known if you create content regularly (most people have no clue).

Digging deeper into how the sensor on your gopro works, the signal to noise ratio refers to a sensorís ability to receive more light and deliver more of the actual image, or signal, than noise. A larger sensor can deliver a greater signal to noise ratio. As the sensor gets smaller, the signal to noise ratio lessens. Hence why the higher bitrate is due to the increase in resolution AND more data collected from the source.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Was never saying you are wrong. But youtube doesnt give you the high bit rate clarity all the time like you think. That was simply what I was pointing out. And was staring at a full example of that. Your videos look great in 4k. But I sat and watched 2 of them that looked as bad as low bit rate chinese camera stuff when watched from my phone. Not something I expected as its not normally an issue.

To combat these issues you have the option to determine what how important 4K really is to those who watch your videos. If a large number will be doing so from smaller devices that are only 1080 and max bit rates become a hinderance then it becomes possibly a better choice over loading in 4K.

Now if youtube is able to make money off you, then that changes a bit. Which is why you see adds and brand videos that are always flawless regardless of the device its being played on.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Was never saying you are wrong. But youtube doesnt give you the high bit rate clarity all the time like you think. That was simply what I was pointing out. And was staring at a full example of that. Your videos look great in 4k. But I sat and watched 2 of them that looked as bad as low bit rate chinese camera stuff when watched from my phone. Not something I expected as its not normally an issue.

To combat these issues you have the option to determine what how important 4K really is to those who watch your videos. If a large number will be doing so from smaller devices that are only 1080 and max bit rates become a hinderance then it becomes possibly a better choice over loading in 4K.

Now if youtube is able to make money off you, then that changes a bit. Which is why you see adds and brand videos that are always flawless regardless of the device its being played on.

Try manually selecting the higher quality you're probably set at "Auto 480P". I always select 4K manually. Could also be your mobile carrier limiting your bandwidth as well. Even landlines at different times of days when demand is high. A normally crisp clear video will have artifacts introduced into it to keep up with the demand.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    My settings are automatic best quality available, phone test was on home network.

Its a stupid issue I see a lot. My home network I will stream 4k UHD in the movies worth it and youtube videos look great. I also upgraded my service (including buying own new equipment that can handle more than our house will ever use as we stream for TV, wont pay insane cable bills).

Even our phone service is top of the line Verizon (big group plan combined across 3 households so bill isnt bad at all per line) unlimited.

I had even expected better in a more populated area (St Louis when we visit), still same issues.

Thats the tough part of videos for us here as mtbrs. Unless your out in the open desert type terrain with limited contrast scenery especially near by, we max the bitrates out trying deal with all that. Thats why 28/30 fps is nice, it helps. Guys get all about 60fps and then wonder why you end up with what looks like crapped out, low bit rate video. Bombing through the woods at 60fps max resolution on a sunny day and suddenly what is expected to be amazing video looks like crap on all but the best display and internet connection.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

2006 Yeti AS-X
    If you are running a Hero 4 or older on a chest mount, I would say you would really benefit from a gimbal. The Hero 5 and 6 Black, the EIS works pretty well (The Hero 6 EIS is pretty much super close to gimbal quality) that the need for a gimbal is almost negligible. Not saying it is better than a gimbal but I am saying for the price you pay for the camera, gimbal, and batteries for the setup, the increase in quality is so negligible as to wonder if the cost is warranted.

When I use my Hero 5 or 6 Black on my chesty mount, I ensure my chesty harness is tight as I can get it and the anti-vibration insert is on the J-Mount and use my GoPro tool to ensure the camera is toight and my footage comes out super smooth even on roots and rocks. (I shoot at 1080 / 60).

On my bike mounts, I run Hero 3+ Silvers and as I said above, use the GoPro Tool to make sure they are super toight so they don't move around and my footage comes out really good - the full suspension bike really helps take out the bumps and jitters. I do get the occasional jitters on that footage but that is to be expected with the older GoPros as they have no EIS.

Just some food for thought.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Feiyu tech WGS with a GoPro hero 5 session. Sadly the waterproofing on the 5 makes the sound crap and the gain means you hear the gimbal motors. Use a secondary sound recorder with a smartlav+ mic.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    The nice this is that the new gopro mounts that come with the 5 and 6 already have the inserts built in.

I agree that the EIS is good, but only during the day, try running it alone in low light/at night. Talk about hard to watch as the EIS seems to almost freak out at times.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

2006 Yeti AS-X
    The nice this is that the new gopro mounts that come with the 5 and 6 already have the inserts built in.

I agree that the EIS is good, but only during the day, try running it alone in low light/at night. Talk about hard to watch as the EIS seems to almost freak out at times.

I haven't done any night riding / low light with the camera yet. I did see some Youtube videos of folks saying there were some issues with it - not sure if it was just his camera or a Hero 6 wide issue.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I have the 5 and it does, going to guess the session will too but Ill find out tonight for sure on that.

Thats why I came up with my "system". Since gimbals and hero 5/6 dont play well, I use th YI 4K. As you experience, the EIS on the GoPro does well by itself in daylight conditions. Except when it gets rough as I ride HT or rigid in the case of my fat bike.

I have debated on either going superview or narrowing to see how things respond.

The problem is the EIS uses entire image and crops the edges as needed. Bike lights there is the hot spots of some degree that is the main focus of the camera. The down side of electronic.

Cant lie, hauling a gimbal around on a chest mount isnt the most comfortable thing. Me being a clyde and hauling up sustained climbs to get to the good stuff. Breathing heavy and cranked straps to hold everything tends to suck after a while. ESPECIALLY in winter riding gear... Hoping as I push my weight lower as I have plenty I can loose yet, that will become a non-issue.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com