PMK
    mtbr member

VIO POV (non HD) and Sony Vegas 10 platinum hd

I have searched here, the internet and even Sony for a simple answer.

Vegas brings in the video but no audio. AVI file.

Someone on the net posted needing a certain codec package. QDesign MPEG Audio codec. Says this makes Vegas plug and play. Yet to find it in a means to be able to get it.

Most folks say this codec, and they are likely correct, say the codec is in the k-lite package.

I have that, but it refuses to show up in the sound list in device manager.

The person on the Sony (musicvid) site says to get a hold of Avidemux as that will allow you to split the audio and video and bring them in separate. Got that but still trying to figure out how to make it work.

Best so far has been to just convert the entire AV to NTSC and that seems to work.

Anyone got an easy solution?

The goal is to setup several POV cameras, start them all at the same time via a same signal remote, bring them in and keep one audio track that is exactly linked to all the video, allowing different vantage oints from one ride.

This topic is one of those, I can make it work...but can it be easier?

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    VIO POV 1.5 Audio in Sony Vegas Pro – FIX | MadStu's Little Internet

You can try that. I remember when I had the POV several tricks worked with varying degrees of success to include changing a "switch" with xvid, renaming the extension to MP4 and using one version older of the QT codec, reconverting with a program like super which caused a slight audio/video synch issue... maybe above will be a solution for you.

I am no longer using my POV1.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    VIO POV 1.5 Audio in Sony Vegas Pro FIX | MadStu's Little Internet

You can try that. I remember when I had the POV several tricks worked with varying degrees of success to include changing a "switch" with xvid, renaming the extension to MP4 and using one version older of the QT codec, reconverting with a program like super which caused a slight audio/video synch issue... maybe above will be a solution for you.

I am no longer using my POV1.
    Thanks
    That MadStu link is one I had found and tried. Madstu is setup where you need to register with his site, so basically the link is pretty much dead. I did spend several sessions of searching for the Tsunami codec, but all efforts so far look bleak. The Tsunami info posted shows it was from around 2004 and is now no longer developed.

Other reads say the K-lite package has the same contents, but for whatever reason, the codecs do not list in device manager for this computer running on Vista.

On a side note, when you did use your POV, were you running any of the firmware upgrades?

For now it just seems best to convert and bring in the video / audio together converted. I'll continue looking for a better method but this seems best so far. Just time consuming.

PK

mtbr member
    Had the same problems just couldnt get the sound to come across into Vegas.
    Tried all the codecs and conversions and have now given up.

On the recommendation of someone else who also had the same issues and couldnt find a fix Ive switched to Adobe Elements.
    Possibly not as good as Vegas but at least I can get Video & Sound

PMK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by griffter18 View Post
    Had the same problems just couldnt get the sound to come across into Vegas.
    Tried all the codecs and conversions and have now given up.

On the recommendation of someone else who also had the same issues and couldnt find a fix Ive switched to Adobe Elements.
    Possibly not as good as Vegas but at least I can get Video & Sound

I would hold off on giving up on VEGAS. For me ADOBE was horrible with another camera set of downloads.

FWIW, I have an email into VIO about this and will share their answer.

Honestly though, it is a small inconvenience to convert the raw VIO footage ad import that. It plays fine and is in a format (VEGAS) which I find easier to use.

Currently I convert using AURA. I had that program from my vholdr (the model before contours and contourHDs) days. This was how they recommended I get around using their exclusive editing software. IT works.

If nothing else besides cool videos, I certainly have learned a LOT about codecs and some of the issues they create by not having standards. Kind of lick the MTB days of 1", 1 1/8", and 1 1/4" steerer tubes.

PK

mtbr member
    Ive still got Vegas and am only just learning Adobe.
    If I can get Vegas to work then it would be my preference.
    Im looking to buy a 2nd cam which can be mounted on the bike without wires (Drift Stealth or similar)

Can you detail how you convert and get the audio & video into vegas.

PMK
    mtbr member
    FWIW, my goal is to set up several VIO's, start them all simultaneously. This will allow one common audio track (the best from the bunch) and the ability to get different camera angles from the same ride. These can easily be worked as they will all be the same format and codecs.

So far, an easy way to use a VIO capture is to convert it. As I mentioned, I have used AURA. Not saying it is best or great, but it does work with minimal fuss.

Go to the link and download the free version.

Free MOV to AVI converter - Download Free MOV to AVI converter

Once you get that opened, you will see where in the upper left it has "add video". Click and then go find what you want. For me it seems best to desktop a folder with what you are after, then finding it is pretty easy as it's not buried.

On the screens right side you can accomplish a drop down menu (Output Profile). Scroll down to "DVD video NTSC Movie (*.mpg)".

Next click "convert"

These simple instructions are shown in plain view.

It takes a short while depending upon how much footage you captured.

This does work for me. I'm running Vista, (not my favorite), and have had it work for me.

I heard back from VIO, tried one suggestion with no luck, as time permits I'll see if their other idea is good.

BTW, I'm guessing you picked up your VIO 1.5 on eBay. I had a couple I was watching, and for whatever reason totally missed one on account of forgetting it was 24 hour time and the other was by having the wife bid...she waited until the last second to not be out bid and did not get the bid in place in time. I've actually done pretty good now on average, with an assortment of lens angles, mounts and cable lengths. Being injured has capturing on hold for a bit, but I should be able to build / modify the mounts for this planned 5 camera run. Time will tell.

PK

mtbr member
    5 VIOs !!!!
    I must admit once you get youre first camera then you suddenly want another to open up the possibilities. I definately want another, and whilst VIOs are great the only downside is the wire.
    On the head it doesnt matter, I just wish all the manfactures kept to one spec for recording format and for the remotes.
    I was considering a Stealth due to its size/weight and the ability to tuck it under the seat or on the frame, but the remote isnt compatible with the Vio's :0(
    Guess I could always get another VIO and use the bottle holder on the frame !

I did get mine on ebay, and managed to negotiate a "buy it now cash" price from the seller who then took it off auction :0)

Will give the instructions ago tonight but they sound easy.
    Let me know how you get on with the other VIO suggestion

re member
    I had that problem with Sony Movie Studio, and this fixed it for me....

guerillabill's Channel - YouTube

I used to have to rename the .mov to .mp4, with mixed results.

I think the same thing he does in the video would also result from installing an older version of quicktime, but I just did this and now it works fine. The native .mov files from my contour camera work fine now.

EDIT: I just noticed you were referring to trouble with AVI files....I don't think this applies in that case.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Didnt help but them Im running:
    Itunes v10
    Quicktime v 7.7.1
    Vegas 9

PMK
    mtbr member
    Didnt help but them Im running:
    Itunes v10
    Quicktime v 7.7.1
    Vegas 9
    Aura didn't convert and provide a file that would import, or the other one shown on you tube?

PK

mtbr member
    Sorry PMK, crossed threads.
    Yes converting the files using Aura works fine
    Only downside is that it takes time for the conversion and you end up with 2 files (Original & Converted).
    Havent checked if there is any drops in quality but it does appear to be a work around.

PMK
    mtbr member
    Sorry PMK, crossed threads.
    Yes converting the files using Aura works fine
    Only downside is that it takes time for the conversion and you end up with 2 files (Original & Converted).
    Havent checked if there is any drops in quality but it does appear to be a work around.

Yes it does take time.

Yes there are now two files.

If storage space is a problem, you might consider an external hard drive.

As for the time it takes, I add the videos by highlighting them into AURA. Once stacked and the conversion format is selected, I hit convert and leave them be for a while.

FWIW, as for quality drops, other recorded media (from the VHoldR and my Tachyon XCHD) have shown no detectable drop in quality.

As for the 4 or 5 setups run simultainiously consider a tandem MTB, the goal is Captain helmet facing forward, stoker helmet facing aft, one camera mounted aft on the lowermost frame tube but looking forward for close ground shots and steering, then two mounted on the bottle cage area capturing legs, drivetrain and suspension, plus trail.

This is an idea of one view. Not done with a VIO since I did not have them then.

Santos Spider Kingdom XC trail on the Ventana Tandem on Vimeo

You can also see other videos from the tandem, some looking forward others aft.

PK