mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Vio POV 1.5 Video Edit Software

I did some searching on this topic and admit I find it a bit confusing. I'm looking to do some basic stuff like edit legth and merge different clips together, add music over the trail noise (so you can hear both), add still pictures to the video in spots, and be able to create a DVD however that is less important. The most important thing is to retain the original video quality. I've played around with windows movie maker and the output video is not the same quality as the original.

Below is a sample video:
    http://www.vimeo.com/6026146

I have a PC with Vista. Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hi zx6rpete,
    I realise this is an obvious one to ask but have to had no luck using their provided s/w?

I have a POV 1.5 unit too and am having issues too with the supplied editing software being a little under-par for the tasks you've even outlined. I've tried other Adobe Premiere options and have come up blank for the best video editing software app to use.

I've tried converting the video to other formats outside of the xvid codec without much joy too.

Any advice from the folk in this forum would be majorly appreciated!!

Regards

Dave

mtbr member
    I use Pinnacle Studio 12 right now (I think 13 is the current version) as it is pretty easy to use and can do all of the things you mention. I first used Windows Movie Maker but, although very easy to use, it didn't allow me enough flexibility with the output format options. I haven't tried the HD version of movie maker that you can download as I didn't think it was worth it seeing as the POV1 isn't HD but that version does allow more control of the codecs, I believe.

I don't use VIO's software as it is not quite as accurate when cutting scenes as other software plus the output options are limited as mentioned above.

I'd like to try out Sony Vegas or Premier but I think I'll wait until VIO bring out an HD version (or I get tired of waiting for that and buy a different camera).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been playing around with the free trial version of Adobe Premier. Its pretty cool and seems to do what I need however these video editing programs seem to need ALOT of computer power. Mine is a 3 yr old average build and it runs the program very slow with frequent crashes. So I haven't decided to buy the program or use this as an excuse to buy a new computer. Anyhow below is a vid I was able to add a title, music, and edit out some sections.

http://vimeo.com/10917024

I may look up Pinnacle this weekend and see if they have a trial version to play around with.

Tool
    I use the free version of VideoPad. It's not feature rich, but it does all that you listed except create DVDs.

I don't have the same camera as you, but I always create my movies in .avi format with the xvid codec (I use the default xvid settings). My movies do not lose quality from the original footage, and for 720p movies, my file size is roughly 100MB/min (this is the most compressed I've been able to make my movies without obvious degradation).

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Videopad is exactly the answer I was looking for! That did the trick and its free. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks All! I've been able to work Pinnacle Studio 14 well enough to get by for the moment. I'm using an old AMD 3200 cpu with a gig of RAM i can't get too picky. Here's to posting some of the vids up shortly.

regards
    dave

Kaishingo
    Try avidemux. It takes some getting used to, but it's powerful stuff for freeware. VIO software blows.