Carbon & Ti rule

Videoing at night.

Hi

I hope you can help me, I like using my Gopro 1080 HD Video camera on my MTB & have been using it as a Helmet cam.

As I do more than half of my riding at night I have been thinking that I would like to start doing some filming at night.

So wanting to know some tips if any one has some, to save me some setup time ??

Light on helmet ,Camera on bars . ETC

I have many light options I can use so will need to play around with.

Light options I have

3600 lumen LED
    1850 lumen Hid
    2x 900 lumen Hid

What & were would work best ??

Many thanks in advance.

sore member
    Go with the brightest, most floody lights you have and set the camera exposure to the max.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Go Pro does not film well in low light at all- even "dusk" will be complete black on GoPro. Go with BIG lumens if you want to get decent vid.

My Utube @ 600 Lumen - GoPro mounted on handlebar & Lights on helmet

MTB Foxboro Under the Lights.mpg - YouTube

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by zxces50 View Post
    Go Pro does not film well in low light at all- even "dusk" will be complete black on GoPro. Go with BIG lumens if you want to get decent vid.

My Utube @ 600 Lumen - GoPro mounted on handlebar & Lights on helmet

MTB Foxboro Under the Lights.mpg - YouTube
    Thanks that should work fine for me, As my big light is 3600 lumen & lights up everything like daylight over a very big area.

sore member
    The more lumens, the better....

I shot some night video with a Drift Innovation -- which has a "night mode". Even with night mode on and max exposure compensation, with 3 Magicshines at full power to light the path, the resulting video was 3 tiny circles of illumination bobbing around in a sea of pitch black.

The results were better at dusk.

Good luck with the filming. Let us know how it turns out.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    The more lumens, the better....

I shot some night video with a Drift Innovation -- which has a "night mode". Even with night mode on and max exposure compensation, with 3 Magicshines at full power to light the path, the resulting video was 3 tiny circles of illumination bobbing around in a sea of pitch black.

The results were better at dusk.

Good luck with the filming. Let us know how it turns out.
    I hope to have a go Wednesday night, Hoping my light will work very well, as it just has the 1 very large beam of light approx 15 foot wide & supper bright just infront of the bike.

Light freak

My GoPro does just fine at night

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    One tip for nightrides (with the GoPro at least) is to set a very narrow FOV angle. this way your "spot" of light in front of you takes up as much of the frame as possible.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by -bb- View Post
    One tip for nightrides (with the GoPro at least) is to set a very narrow FOV angle. this way your "spot" of light in front of you takes up as much of the frame as possible.
    Thanks for the tip, I have a very good light & can't believe how much of it does't show up on the video.

Because the hot spot is so big it looks like that is the only light you can see when riding & it is a flood beam so you can see everything from the hot spot back to the bike.

Jet9 RDO - YouTube
    Last edited by muzzanic; 12-05-2011 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I have a very good light & can't believe how much of it does't show up on the video.

Because the hot spot is so big it looks like that is the only light you can see when riding & it is a flood beam so you can see everything from the hot spot back to the bike.

Jet9 RDO - YouTube
    Chalk that up to the wide angle lens of the GoPro added to the fact that it looks like the camera is exposing for the bright center of your light throw. Which I would consider better than having the outer edges exposed well and the center of your frame completely blown out. You have to keep in mind that the camera (all digital cameras to some extent) can't properly expose for nearly as big a difference in light (dynamic range) as your eye and even though your light is a flood, it's still brighter in the center.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalDangit View Post
    Chalk that up to the wide angle lens of the GoPro added to the fact that it looks like the camera is exposing for the bright center of your light throw. Which I would consider better than having the outer edges exposed well and the center of your frame completely blown out. You have to keep in mind that the camera (all digital cameras to some extent) can't properly expose for nearly as big a difference in light (dynamic range) as your eye and even though your light is a flood, it's still brighter in the center.
    I also had it on 48 frames per secound & I think I should have had it on 30 fps