Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Video Editing-What will I need?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tdatu 
#1 ·
Just recently got into the helmet cam thing
Up to this point, I have been doing editing by dumping the video from the Video cam to a VHS tape, just starting and stopping the VHS machine.
I would like to get into doing the editing with a home PC
Anybody care to give me some advice on what the computer/software requirements might be?

#2 ·
Got XP?

If you have Windows XP then you already have Windows Movie Maker on your computer. Start with that. Be sure to update to the latest version though. Dozens of cheap video editing programs out there. Try google, I got this: http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com

But if you think you might become serious then get Adobe Premier Elements so the transition to Pro will be easier. And get the fastest computer you can afford because it will never be fast enough. I have some video how to tips on my site.

#3 ·
What kind of camera are you using? A DV (Mini-DV or Digital 8) camera will have a IEEE 1394 Firewire port which may be labeled iLink. You then want a firewire port in your computer. This is the best transfer method. If you have to get a firewire card, try to find one with a Texas Instruments chipset. I know that Adaptec uses TI. Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS sound cards come with a port too that is well suited.

With Firewire, Windows Movie Maker will recognize the camera and allow a dump to the computer. Be warned that standard digital video (DV-AVI) runs 13GB of space per hour of tape.

Edit suites are a personal thing and everyone has their own choice. I use Avid Liquid which shares its engine with Pinnacle Studio 10. Avid does have a free editor that is similar to Avid Xpress called Avid Free DV. Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere are stardard selections with a basic suite for under $100. Ulead has another editor that folks like. Some of them have free trial versions if you want to test drive.

#4 ·
You're in luck, now these days strong computers can handle video editing for
a cheap price. I have an AMD 3000+ CPU, Ram 1gb, 120 gb + 200 gb hd, nvidia fx 5200 256mb video card. This is my system set-up and its sufficient enough for heavy editing+special effects work.

tip: firewire to firewire interface is the best connection between pc and video cam, but you need tons of HD space(like mine, but its cheap now too), also buy higher end video card than what I have because it will help to render any effects you applied on the video.
If you'd like to learn editing, I suggests to study Adobe Premiere Pro, but this apps is expensive because it's for professionals. Email me, I may consider selling you my Premiere Pro for a flea market price.
aite..I hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.