1+1
    going for a ride

Vholdr ContourHD 720?

I'm on the verge to buy a POV camera. Pretty much narrowed it down to the contourhd 720(no, not hte 1080 cause it'll kill my comp).
    Would like to hear some personal experiences with this model and the pros/cons of it.
    I've read about it on review sites, but I want unbiased reports on this gadget before I buy it. If you guys have any other recommendations in the same price range, that'll be great too. I've also looked into the GoPro, but that thing is a bit bulkier. Would love to hear from people with experiences with both.
    Cheers.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1
    I'm on the verge to buy a POV camera. Pretty much narrowed it down to the contourhd 720(no, not hte 1080 cause it'll kill my comp).
    Would like to hear some personal experiences with this model and the pros/cons of it.
    I've read about it on review sites, but I want unbiased reports on this gadget before I buy it. If you guys have any other recommendations in the same price range, that'll be great too. I've also looked into the GoPro, but that thing is a bit bulkier. Would love to hear from people with experiences with both.
    Cheers.
    for the $$$ you will get the best bang for your buck with the ContourHD 720

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I wrote some of those reviews so please feel free to discount my opinion. I still think its a good cam especially at the pricepoint discounted at various vendors. My opinion is as stated in reviews
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Tool

+1 for the VholdR

I love my ContourHD 720.

The #1 reason I chose it over the GP was the view angle: 135 degrees from the VholdR vs. 170 degrees from the GP (this is in 720p resolution - the GPHD goes to a 130 degree angle when you shoot in 1080p). To me, 170 degrees is more a special effect rather than a primary shooting mode

Other things I like about the VholdR over the GP:

-Laser aiming lights to make sure you're getting the right angle
    -Better profile/shape for mounting on the sides of things (including helmet - a side mount gets the lens much closer to eye level than top mounting does)
    -Loud, audible confirmation of power/record status changes
    -Easy to operate Record button (very easy to start/stop w/o looking, including when helmet-mounted)
    -Battery life - I've recorded on and off for over two hours in 25 degree temps w/o problems (it was powered up the whole time).

Things I like about the GP over the VholdR (I have never used a GP):

-Potential to view footage in the field
    -Ability to delete files in the field
    -Available chest mount
    -Multiple resolutions/aspect ratios (although I wouldn't use any of them as much as I use VholdR's 720p/135 deg).

If you want to see a vid where you can compare the view angles, my most recently posted vid has ContourHD 720 footage sandwiched around GP 480 footage (keep in you only want to compare the view angles, not the resolution, and yes, the GP was pointed too low in this vid): Fort Rock MLK II

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Pete - one clarification. The GoPro's battery life and the ContourHDs battery life are roughly comparable in the cold.

Tool
    Thanks, Lee.

Have you used the cameras below 20F, and if so, did you run them enough to be able to say how much the battery life was affected by that temp? I've run my VholdR in 17 degree temps, but it was a boring ride so I didn't record much, and due to the wind chill that day I only stayed outside for about an hour.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Pete - as a matter of fact. This one video below I ran the Vholdr at -18 C - its a repost from this forum in another thread

. It was painfully cold to say the least. I also ran the GoPro at the same - 18. It was so freaking cold that I couldn't feel my fingers so neglected to switch them off. Both cams were running. I actually recorded 2hrs 18 mins of footage mostly of skiing then going up the chairlifts then swearing at how cold it was etc.

Icy Groomers on Whistler from Lee Lau on Vimeo.

1+1
    going for a ride
    Thanks guys for the info.
    I'm gonna grab me a contourhd for my bday.
    Will post up some vids soon.
    Cheers.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1
    Thanks guys for the info.
    I'm gonna grab me a contourhd for my bday.
    Will post up some vids soon.
    Cheers.
    Nice, you wont regret it! BTW, here is the newest Firmware Upgrade, all the goodies of the 1st firmware but it fixes the problem people were having with some 8gb MicroSD card brands.

http://vholdr.com/support/firmware