mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Vertical lines in video recording

Just bought a used ContourHD cam and took it for a first recording today. When I played it back, a single purple vertical line randomly appeared and disappeared throughout the footage. Does this mean I have a defective camera?
    Granny gear lover

No, that's not phonetic
    Does it coincide with the sun appearing in the frame or other extremely bright lights/highlights?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    yes, riding directly against the sun. hoping it's the effects of the sun and not the camera.
    Granny gear lover

No, that's not phonetic
    My GoPro has never shown much in terms of lens flare or artifacts from sunlight hitting the capture element directly, but other people have mentioned purple or white vertical lines in the video image extending from the sun/light source with their GoPros. I assume Contours would behave similarly (inconsistently). It is basically the image sensor freaking and producing artifacts. I have plenty of footage looking towards the sun with both dark foregrounds (riders in shadow) or light foregrounds (snow) and have never had artifacts in my footage, but as I said, other people have. Maybe try a different camera. I doubt this would be considered a defect by a manufacturer, but as a consumer I would not be happy about it.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

I get those, but in red...

I have the Contour GPS and get a few random vertical lines that flash by for a very short time, but they are usually red. I'm thinking its not a defect in the camera only because mine aren't always in the same exact place... sometime a little more to the right or left...

Mine looks like this... skip to about 4:27 or 4:28, it flashes by quickly so don't blink!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    correct not a defect. mine exhibited that as well (purple lines). a protective filter such as the one sold by the same people that sell the xvue contour mounts takes care of it nicely.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    ArmySlowRdr - thx for the suggestion.

Dave94024 - looks like you're into video editing just as much as you're into riding. Where is that located? The terrain looks a lot like the trails here in SoCal.
    Granny gear lover

mtbr member
    John K – No, video editing is new to me… I think that was my second or third video I edited. You can probably see the others if you click on that to go to Youtube and see my channel… No, at first I’d just use the software that came with the Contour to make an “awesome” clip… essentially just making one smaller segment cut from a longer video… I did a series of those and stored on Contour’s storyteller site but could never get my own family to even want to watch them! I mean, they wanted to see what my rides were like but thought the (raw) footage was too boring to watch!

So out of necessity, I just recently started editing them so I could show the wife and kids what I did! Now after all that, they tell me I’m going through those rocky sections too slow to be exciting… I’m in the market for a different camera mount. Probably one of the Ram Mounts that I can get lower on the bike rather than on top of my head… I think that together with a faster speed will excite the family more. The things we do…

That trail is up North from you… Bay Area: South Bay. Santa Teresa Park.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I can relate. When I recorded while it was mounted to the helmet (not with the official vented helmet mount, but the goggle strap mount tied down to the helmet), the playback looked slower than I was actually going, and was very shaky in bumpy sections. I just bought the flex strap mount and mounted it to the down tube - no more shaking, and looks like I'm going fast. You can see a sample of me here:

Peters Canyon MTB. - YouTube

(Youtube's embed code not working for some reason)

Btw, is the Contour supposed to come with software? I bought the ContourHD used on ebay and it didn't come with any software.
    Granny gear lover

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John K. View Post

Btw, is the Contour supposed to come with software? I bought the ContourHD used on ebay and it didn't come with any software.
    yup, online: Contour | Storyteller

it's nothing great. Just so you can upload a clip but I don't think you can splice multiple clips together. Free is free.

And yes, I get the purple lines when I end up shooting into the sun. I just try to avoid it.

mtbr member

Online, free... and that's about what's worth...

yup, online: Contour | Storyteller

it's nothing great. Just so you can upload a clip but I don't think you can splice multiple clips together. Free is free.
    Yup... and you get what you paid for No splicing. No music... you can upload the entire clip or one short (contiguous) segment to their storyteller site thing...

I have the GPS camera and it shows me where I am on a MAP and my speed/elevation which is cool... and if I want a list of the videos on my computer I can see them by file name, date or what's also cool is that I can see a map with a indicator on the map for each of the videos - so if I'm looking for clips from a particular trail and I haven't changed the file name, I can easily find them through the PLACES view... That's almost only what I use it for... finding the clips to plop into my Abode application for editing...