mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Vegas Pro 12 help - video pixelation after a flash transition

just made my first MTB video here - Switzerland Mountain Biking - YouTube

I used a couple flash transitions - during the first into the train station clip, i don't get the pixelation, but in two other clips (transitions into mountain biking), i do

anyone have any ideas? thinking it was the video itself, i trimmed the mtb scenes to start at a later part in the video, but i still get the pixelation...however, if i render just a small portion of that section (rather than render the whole video), i don't get pixelation

thanks

Airborne Flight Crew
    What I noticed while watching: (breathtaking landscapes and trails and riding, btw!)

The opening train ride & train station time lapse are very smooth - both in action and tonal qualities.

@ about 20 seconds the scene changes to a timelapse over the river, and it feels choppy compared to the others. Maybe that's just the way the recorded intervals play.

In contrast, the riding segment looks very grainy/pixellated - like you noted. It appears the camera is on a different setting, maybe 960 (assuming you're using a gopro?) with a different frame rate?

If you pause the mountain scenes or train rides, the paused image still looks smooth. When you pause the riding footage, it still looks grainy while paused.

What camera are you using? Is all the video captured with same camera, and settings? Can you export a segment of the riding to Youtube and have it come out clear/non pixellated?

Not sure what your output settings are - but I try to encode or export/save my videos at the highest data rate I can. Some guidelines I've read say to use a variable data rate (VBR) with a setting on "2 pass", whatever that means. But lately I've gone to a constant data rate (CBR) set anywhere from 10 to 20 Mbps (I think?). I know its overkill, but I figure if Youtube or Vimeo is going to resample my video anyhow, I want to start with as much video information as I can.

Difficult to say what's causing it. I quit using Vegas (for the most part) due to rendering issues. Others seem to be able to get great output, but mine always felt choppy. I use premiere now.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    thanks for the reply

1) timelapse @ 20 seconds - it was just recorded at 30 second intervals, hence the choppiness
    2) all riding was recorded 1080p, wide view, 60 fps
    3) i will work on the exporting some riding shots to youtube and see what it gives me, but youtube pretty much plays what my rendered video plays (as far as pixelation in certain areas)
    4) when i have time, i will also render both as VBR 2 passes and constant bit rate...VBR is currently set to 20 mil max bps and avg 15 mil bps one pass

also, i used the stabilizer fx on all riding scenes, if that has anything to do with it...tried looking for free third party stabilizers, but no luck

my gf has premier on her mac, but then i have to both learn mac and premier and only use it when i'm at her place

Airborne Flight Crew
    Makes sense as far as the timelapse goes...

If what you see on youtube is pretty close to what you see on your screen, the bitrate is probably not an issue.

The landscape shots are so clear (not the still images, but the moving images from the train) compared to the riding footage, but you say they're captured at the same settings. Based on that, I'd say the stabilizer fx is causing the drop in resolution, otherwise, the footage should look equally crisp. It such a night and day difference, between the train stuff and the riding.

I suppose you could also try running the train footage through the stabilizer and see if that causes it to degrade. Sorry, no simple answers...

My guess is that the stabilizer is your culprit.

(working on a mac is not so bad - I used to use one at work, but have a pc at home. Its much easier than you imagine at first. Access to your GF's computer when you need it is probably a more difficult task! )
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website