Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: V.i.o. Pov.1

"Its All Good"

New question here. V.i.o. Pov.1

Have done some searches for any information on the POV.1, cant seem to find anything

Has anyone got one of these yet, or anyone seen one in action..

Am at that point where by I purchased a Sony HDR-HC3 HDV Handycam for when my daughter was born etc, but I did a focken stupid thing and didnt check if there was an external lense jack, of which there isnt..

So have begun searching again for some kit...

Not sure if I get a very good quality lense and purchase a cheapie video camera or look at the POV.1..

Any information from those that have some actual experience with the POV.1 would be much appreciated.

V.I.O POV.1
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Twin Six METAL
    The POV1 is amazing. You will be floored by the quality. I can't afford one, but a good friend of mine just started filming with one, absolutely amazing. DVD quality on a big screen. Unmatched by anything else available!
    SpeedWorks Coaching Services
    http://www.speedworkscoaching.com

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by sworkspilot
    The POV1 is amazing. You will be floored by the quality. I can't afford one, but a good friend of mine just started filming with one, absolutely amazing. DVD quality on a big screen. Unmatched by anything else available!
    Thanks for the feedback sworkspilot, I cant afford one either unless it is great great... I am generally not a fan of recording digitally so to speak.

Does your good friend ride with you, does he hang out on MTBR at all? Has he got any footage...

Really want to know this is a good tool or piece of kit. 850 smackers, is significant....

Main areas I want assurance is going in and out in trees etc... The big changes in light etc...

Thanks again
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    You can check out the video quality of the camera here.
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com/
    There is another one similaer to POV1 which is called Elmo SUV-cam.
    http://www.elmousa.com/cctv/index.html

Peace

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think you are missing how to do a wide-angle on your HC3. A Raynox HD5050 is what I use on my HC7. All of the HC series have a threaded front, so you screw the WA into the front threads.

The actual hard part comes on the mounting. I use a Bonehead Composite HC3 box (about $185) side mounted to a fullface.

"Its All Good"
    gsellis, understand that point, but I am not wanting to mount the whole camera to my helmet. I fall off to often...LOL.... and the weight of it is not comfy after constant rides...

designer, thank you for the links, will check them out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My rig is 6 lbs (with counter-weight), so I understand the comfy thing. My neck is always a little uncomfortable the next day. And I ride a lot more carefully with the helmet on

"Its All Good"
    dsellis, I hear you, just under 3 Kg is not feather weight...

I have found some great information with the replies to my request for info... I ma absolutely spewing inside re my video camera like yours not having a AV in jack.... Stupid miss for me when I made the purchase, I do like the footage this camera can take though..

Hence why this POV 1 seems so simple....

The Designer, great link to the helmet camera review site, if indeed it is your site, great work, really good reviews with the information that is wanted so to speak....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    On a tanget, no one has messed around with an Aiptek A-HD yet. I know that it gets some blocking if you film streams (a sample was posted in DVInfo.net - looks like an issue with the processor not being able to do the compression - could do the same on a bike with all the movement). BUT, it is a $119USD in Best Buy stores. SD memory, 720p. The audio sucks, but that does not count for much. The negative is that the battery life is less than a full SD card can do IIRC.

Paper Street
    I have a POV. It's easy to use, rugged, good looking, but suffers from some of the same problems lipstick cams suffer from. Would I buy one again? Heck yeah I would.

You can see some helmet cam footie here:
    http://web.mac.com/adamson.m/iWeb/Si...123FC3980.html

And here:
    http://web.mac.com/adamson.m/iWeb/Si...49D82341B.html

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by zdfg
    I have a POV. It's easy to use, rugged, good looking, but suffers from some of the same problems lipstick cams suffer from. Would I buy one again? Heck yeah I would.

You can see some helmet cam footie here:
    http://web.mac.com/adamson.m/iWeb/Si...123FC3980.html

And here:
    http://web.mac.com/adamson.m/iWeb/Si...49D82341B.html
    Hi ya zdfg, thanks a bunch for posting this up. Looks real good, take on board oyur points about lippy cameras, this aside though, I like the simplicity etc of this set up..

How long does a set of batteries last? Has the cordless remote given any gip, from the viewpoint that there is no light which tells you if it is recordning

Cheers
    Whafe

Paper Street
    Hey Whafe,

Glad I can help. 850 is a lot to drop on something you don't know anything about.

The remote device works about 50 percent of the time, maybe less, and seems to work best with a fresh set of batteries installed. When the remote doesn't work I just have my friend start it for me, stuff it in my pack, and then take off. The remote makes the camera beep when it starts recording.

I have been using the lithium AA's and they work great, but are expensive. One set per ride to be on the safe side, and I do some 6-8 hour rides. The camera isn't on the whole time, but there is always juice left afterwards.

The complete kit comes with 2 different mounting brackets, but I would just go with a velcro set up in order to get an "angle strip".

The SD slot and the whole set up is clean, and really slick. The best I have seen so far.

"Its All Good"
    Thanks again for that info on batteries etc.... Mmmm my next visit to the US of A may have to get me one.....

Cheers
    Whafe

Paper Street
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Thanks again for that info on batteries etc.... Mmmm my next visit to the US of A may have to get me one.....

Cheers
    Whafe
    Look me up if you come up into the Pacific Northwest. I'll take you riding.

Best,

ZDFG

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by zdfg
    Look me up if you come up into the Pacific Northwest. I'll take you riding.

Best,

ZDFG
    Thanks for that offer, can you be more descriptive, what are in the PNW?

Will let you know if I can mak something

Cheers
    Whafe

Paper Street
    Everything from Pemberton B.C. south to Oakridge in Oregon.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey guys-

I just ordered one of the new vholdr cameras coming out from www.vholdr.com. Less expensive than the others, and supposed to be GREAT quality.

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    hey whafe here is a pretty good in depth review of the POV1

http://helmetcameracentral.com/2007/...-video-system/

check it out,
    tep

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by tep

check it out,
    tep
    Have to say tep, a fantastic review. Product seems good, but he amount of information int he review, along with the way in which the information was relayed is awesome..

Thank you for that, very much appreciated

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tep

check it out,
    tep

Think about this: since the reviewer sells the unit that they have reviewed, what good would
    it do them to give anything but a stellar review...unless the unit absolutely sucked?

Right. So, obviously this is not an unbiased review. There's money at stake.

Believe what you want, but what I have stated above is absolute fact.
    -- Evil Patrick

My Music

My Videos

Ride everything! Remember, Elvis died pushing.

mtbr member
    Here's my review but I'm new to this video thing and not at all techy. I ordered a POV 1 before they even shipped and I have been quite happy with it. The video quality is not stellar, at least on the default settings that I use, but adequate for my purposes, sharing on the web. It did take me a couple of frustrating weeks to work out the following bugs: The batteries dont last long at all; I was using Duracell AA's and you have to put in new set EVERY time you go out, and carry spares. If you leave them in the camera it drains them. My high speed 2 gig memory card doesnt work, have to use the standard 1 gig. Sometimes it pops out, but maybe I didnt have the cover screwed on tight. The wrist switch is VERY unreliable and like ZDFG I have stopped using it. I use the "universal mount" which is a piece of rubber, some velcro and some duct tape. That said, as you can see by my videos, I've had a lot of fun with it and for me it was worth the $$. Here's my latest effort:

http://media.putfile.com/Wasabi-78

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I have to be honest, I didn't make it far into that review.

The POV1 had just been announced when I was ready to upgrade from my samsung helmet cam, in fact there already ads out with pictures of it. So I called Viosport to ask about it, they said that the highest video quality would be from a viosport adenturecam 3 combined with a traditional DVD videocamera. However, the POV1 would be easier to use, lighter/smaller and possibly more durable.

The reasoning I heard from viosport and others, is that flash based memory has not yet been developed to a point where it can capture video as well as digital tape (i.e. DVD)

I am super happy with my current set-up (adveturecam3, Sony DCR-HC85, otterbox), and it's extremely easy to use with the viosport LANC remote. It is a big heavy set-up though. The one thing I would do differently if I was starting from scratch is get a smaller camera with fewer features. I chose the DCR-HC85 because it had a 3.5" screen, manual focus ring, and a lot of other features for higher quality video. Well all those features make the camera larger, and the external input bypasses most of them.

Paper Street
    FM's helmet cam stuff is really good. I've been a fan for a few years now, but I'm still probably not going to be a 'digger'

The difference in quality between your stuff and the stuff I posted using the POV is evident. That stuff on the POV was filmed at the highest capture settings and refresh rate of 30 frames per second, which was a significant improvement over the Samsung for sure.

Plus, FM you really know how to use your arms and legs while riding over rough, rocky Northshore/Garbanzo terrain to smooth out the sequences. <<>>

My guess would be if you want higher quality look elsewhere, but if you want ease of use, ruggedness, and dependability use the POV.

Paper Street
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsyouruncle
    That's a joke alright...

After all, it's easier for some folks to blame their equipment rather than blame their poor technique.
    It's easier for some folks to chest beat without offering up evidence of their own skills.

Paper Street
    No doubt about it Bobster, that's a great video, something to aspire to. I spend 10 months out of the year in the middle east dodging flying metal, so I'm not exactly living the dream if you catch my drift? When I quit my day job I'll work on my technique. I'll be looking for your contributions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast