beautiful jackass

Uploading to Vimeo, Youtube, while maintaining quality

My wife gave me a GoPro for Christmas, and I recently edited together my first footage using Windows Live Movie Maker, and converted the resulting .wmv file to .mp4 using Handbrake. The video looked great on my PC, but when I uploaded it to Youtube and Vimeo, the result was a compressed mess:

Video in question

How do you all maintain quality when uploading to streaming sites?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have the same question. I loaded a 30 second clip to Vimeo from my library and it stunk. The cam setting was 960-30

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Winblows editor won't render to MP4 ???

I generally render as :

WNC Native
    I got aggravated and sold my last GoPro due to this. I've been thinking about giving it another go, so I'm in to see what is said on this.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Not to point out the obvious but vimeo actually has a guide on what settings to use. Would it be too much trouble to take the time to read those guides?
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    and just because some people here can get snarky if they don't get appropriate handholding start here TUTORIALS: Vimeo HD exporting guides from many editors in the Cameras and Editing Forum on Vimeo

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I was trying to be nice though and distill the most relevant vimeo link.

This 'N' That
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey View Post
    My wife gave me a GoPro for Christmas, and I recently edited together my first footage using Windows Live Movie Maker, and converted the resulting .wmv file to .mp4 using Handbrake. The video looked great on my PC, but when I uploaded it to Youtube and Vimeo, the result was a compressed mess:

Video in question

How do you all maintain quality when uploading to streaming sites?
    I am working on a mac using iMovie. using youtube, what I had to do was export my movie using quicktime at a high enough resolution. I haven't used handbrake in a while but i would think it would also have these resolution settings. As long as it was shot in the correct format and exported in the correct resolution, youtube should give you the option to switch to hd settings at the bottom of the player once uploaded. from there it is a matter of using the right code to embed it to the forum. thats where I'm running into trouble. have a feeling its the length of the hd video i am trying to upload

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Of course you can just upload it raw and do a good job of editing it on the fly. I have had good luck lately with quicktime pro.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Are the original videos in SD? are you down converting from HD?
    Have you tried uploading a section of raw footage?

My first guess would be that when you go through the conversions (from raw, to MovieMaker, then to MP4) you're getting the issue.

pretty much ignore what LeeL pointed you to as that is strictly for HD and don't give you any hint about poor quality issues. If you do a google search there are a bunch of stuff about this but nothing seems like a real answer (though I did a quick scan so some of them might have something useful)

The biggest thing I can think of is that either it's getting done during file format conversions, or you are converting from one frame rate to another (recorded in 24fps and converted to 30.. or the other way around)
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuitous View Post
    Incorrect.The OP's video is from a GorproHD (or HD2) in 960 mode so Leel's link is spot on.
    the file he is uploaded to Vimeo is in SD (640x480) so as I stated the HD info doesn't matter when uploading no matter what his camera is. and I wasn't dish-in Leel, just read the links he provided and they offered no info other than HD stuff and had little to do with the original question

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuitous View Post
    This is incorrect as well. upconverting or downconverting 6 fps will not cause the poor quality issues that are evident in the OP's video.
    Sorry I tried to help... maybe you have an actual answer to his question instead of pointing out what others are guessing might help..?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Deleted to save reader the BS
    Last edited by thomllama; 01-23-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Deleted as Fortuitous was blocked

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    deleted to save readers time and BS
    Last edited by thomllama; 01-23-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Deleted as Fortuitous was blocked

RideDirt
    Looks like we got a tough guy on the net being a bully on a keyboard LOL , i love our society OP is looking for some simple help , not some nut swinging answers Fortuitous . Your sitting there bashing someone else's try of help , unlike you who thinks your the man by trying to correct and down talk to someone else thats not in your physical presence and has nothing to do with any direct contact with the OP.

Get it ? a thread is made for different suggestions , thoughts, ideas, and help. Should it be right or wrong its still thankful that a member went out of his way to TRY to help and not be some fantasy character like you. Your dismissed , have a nice life loser.

Mr. Knowitall
    The issue is the low resolution of the uploaded file. It doesn't matter if it is HD source when the file being uploaded is SD. What are your Live Movie maker settings? Remember that tour project needs to be HD. If you edit in SD, you will export to SD, no matter what. I also do not think Movie maker will do HD without tweeks..

Some pointers from me.

Mountain Man Dan
    Just get some better software. It's free for a reason!
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    A quick search found this information about using WLMM and GoPro HD:

Windows Live Movie Maker for GoPro Hero HD

Has some good information.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website