Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JAvendan View Post
    okay, i ordered one from amazon... will be here today.

can't wait to try this!

joel
    i charged my camera using a wall outlet... took a bit of time.

i had already inserted the 32gb micro sd card into the slot, read and reread the directions about formatting the media.

after the green light lit up i grabbed the camera and connected to my mac... mac os x 10.8.4.

i had downloaded the firmware and copied it to the micro sd card and modified the file to tell the camera to update its firmware.

dismounted the camera from the mac and started it... it did its thing and after a few seconds the firmware updated!!!

i messed with it a bit.

i learned that rotating the lens thingy changes the orientation of the lens - ha ha.

also, the low light performance is not that great indoors.

i will test tomorrow outside leaving the white balance to auto.

thank you for this thread!!!!

joel

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So what's everyone's opinion on doing the roam2 firmware upgrade vs not doing it? I'm expecting mine to show up today. I will be mounting it on my archery bow for hunting whitetail deer among many other uses depending on its performance. So low light needs to be filmable. Just wondering was it real worth the risk. Thanks guys. Great info here

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Also does anyone know if u can plug the camera into a phone and view the videos? I looked a little on the android market and didn't find anything yet but that would be awesome. Or even if u could just upload them to the phone through USB and then view them. Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Seemed to work fine for everyone but myself. I'm going to try a couple more troubleshooting options, maybe wait for their tech support to call me back, and then most likely end up replacing through Amazon. I already used a helmet mount so hopefully that won't be an issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadent3 View Post
    Seemed to work fine for everyone but myself. I'm going to try a couple more troubleshooting options, maybe wait for their tech support to call me back, and then most likely end up replacing through Amazon. I already used a helmet mount so hopefully that won't be an issue.
    You could always order new one first then stick the new helmet mount in there.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Turn your Contour Roam into a Contour Roam 2.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunt2005 View Post
    Also does anyone know if u can plug the camera into a phone and view the videos? I looked a little on the android market and didn't find anything yet but that would be awesome. Or even if u could just upload them to the phone through USB and then view them. Thanks again
    I don't know about plugging directly into a phone.

But the low performance inside my house just walking around was not very good using my house lights.

The camera was set for Auto.

Also, I am running with low watt bulbs for energy conservation

I just tested outside using a bike mount... Camera was still set to auto.

Looks great!!!!

I really was surprised with the quality for what I paid. I had a $50 Amazon gift card and $25 'credit' via my Amazon credit card - winnah winnah chicken dinnah

Good luck w bow hunting and I'm sure you'll be testing before you go out.

Joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So basically its worth a try? And if the results r less than expected, I can just hold the reset button and it will go back to the original firmware?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

So basically its worth a try? And if the results r less than expected, I can just hold the reset button and it will go back to the original firmware?
    I would say it is worth it.

Unfortunately, I don't know that hitting the reset button will bring you back to the original firmware... I'd rather not test

Maybe someone has tried???

Joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Mine arrived yesterday and I just installed the Roam2 firmware right off the bat. Records fine at 60 fps. Don't have anything to compare it to. Agree low light not so good but had it out on the boat today and in bright conditions looks great! Had it in the waterproof housing which it came with ( surprised!) on the Amazon deal for 129...
    Beats the go pro at 300 bux!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by esteroali View Post
    Mine arrived yesterday and I just installed the Roam2 firmware right off the bat. Records fine at 60 fps. Don't have anything to compare it to. Agree low light not so good but had it out on the boat today and in bright conditions looks great! Had it in the waterproof housing which it came with ( surprised!) on the Amazon deal for 129...
    Beats the go pro at 300 bux!
    The lighting setting can be changed.

Experiment. They make a difference on the trail, too.

Note that full HD-1080p 30fps mode uses a 125 degree field of view while action HD-720p 60fps uses 170 degrees
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Can the cameras audio "beep" noise still be turned completely off with the newer firmware too? Very important while hunting.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The lighting setting can be changed.

Experiment. They make a difference on the trail, too.

Note that full HD-1080p 30fps mode uses a 125 degree field of view while action HD-720p 60fps uses 170 degrees
    good to know... i will see about changing the settings.

i think i will leave the camera at 760p 60fps.

just looks gorgeous!

i agree about the price compared to the gopro, too.

the best deal out there... FTW!!!!

joel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

Can the cameras audio "beep" noise still be turned completely off with the newer firmware too? Very important while hunting.
    Yes
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    The light settings can be changed. But it's still a camera designed for daylight videography, so it will have some limitations as you might expect.

Here is a night video I shot with mine. It's 720p/30fps and I used manual settings of Lighting: 60, Sharpness: 3, Exposure +1.

The first and last parts were in a park (Garden of the Gods) with no external streetlights, so the only illumination was from other riders and my Niterider Rage (HID helmet light). You can see it mounted below and in front of the camera in some parts of the video. The sections lighted by streetlights came out pretty darn good, however, for what this camera is.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    The light settings can be changed. But it's still a camera designed for daylight videography, so it will have some limitations as you might expect.

Here is a night video I shot with mine. It's 720p/30fps and I used manual settings of Lighting: 60, Sharpness: 3, Exposure +1.

The first and last parts were in a park (Garden of the Gods) with no external streetlights, so the only illumination was from other riders and my Niterider Rage (HID helmet light). You can see it mounted below and in front of the camera in some parts of the video. The sections lighted by streetlights came out pretty darn good, however, for what this camera is.
    Those are the same as the preset "dusk" setting. You can run the expose up to +4. Not a big difference, but a difference.

This is raw video. Night ride on an open hillside. Camera on the headtube. Default setting, 30fps. LED lights on bar and helmet.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    That's pretty good. On my road bike I don't have a ready mount. Down on the headtube, I suspect it would have picked up a bit more. Did you have that one run up to +4 exposure?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    That's pretty good. On my road bike I don't have a ready mount. Down on the headtube, I suspect it would have picked up a bit more. Did you have that one run up to +4 exposure?
    Used the same settings as daylight. Will change them for another night ride. But that is pretty much how it looks while riding.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Ordered the Roam yesterday from Amazon and it was here today! I have already done the update and it seems to be working. I have made over 100 MTB vids with the Contour HD and love the 60fps. But I"m looking forward to the Roam with the auto power on, the waterproof and hopefully more dust proof.
    Also, my experience with Contour has been great. They have replaced the HD 2x's each time in under a week, paid for shipping and replaced rather than repaired. And the cameras had been used very hard and I'm impressed with the camera and with the warranty, but can't speak to phone support beyond replacement. I can't wait to take the camera out tomorrow for the lunch ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I don't know about plugging directly into a phone.
    well, i found this...

iPad mini usb camera adapter -contour roam camera - YouTube

not a phone and not android based.

but i think it will show some possibilities

joel

well, i found this...

iPad mini usb camera adapter -contour roam camera - YouTube

not a phone and not android based.

but i think it will show some possibilities

joel
    You can use the USB adaptors to download video and view it on the iPad. Can not change camera settings or view the video directly from the camera.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by K2D2 View Post
    Ordered the Roam yesterday from Amazon and it was here today! I have already done the update and it seems to be working. I have made over 100 MTB vids with the Contour HD and love the 60fps. But I"m looking forward to the Roam with the auto power on, the waterproof and hopefully more dust proof.
    Also, my experience with Contour has been great. They have replaced the HD 2x's each time in under a week, paid for shipping and replaced rather than repaired. And the cameras had been used very hard and I'm impressed with the camera and with the warranty, but can't speak to phone support beyond replacement. I can't wait to take the camera out tomorrow for the lunch ride.
    The Roam is vastly better than the HD. My HD videos are fuzzy around the edges. The Roam is sharp in the whole frame. Longer battery life, too.

I do wish the Roam had the 2 mode switch of the HD.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

First effort with my new Roam and trying out my new ramp!

I ordered the Roam on Monday from Amazon Prime, got it on Tuesday and was able to go for a ride at lunch yesterday and edit some video last night of me hitting my new practice ramp on my E29 and my usual lunch loop. Here's the video.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I ordered the Roam on Monday from Amazon Prime, got it on Tuesday and was able to go for a ride at lunch yesterday and edit some video last night of me hitting my new practice ramp on my E29 and my usual lunch loop. Here's the video.
    that's awesome!!!

if i rode at lunch it would be on the streets

also, i bought the contour bike mounts and that's a very cool set.

i love the extra long strap and the helmet mount is awesome.

i can't wait to play around some more!!!

joel

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks, just re-read this and have noticed that too and I'll let it go a little longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    One thing I've found running 720p/60 fps "Action HD" mode: let the camera run a few seconds longer (than you typically would with the Roam v1 firmware) before turning it off. A couple of awesome videos ended up a bit too brief :/

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

i recorded my ride with my roam with the roam2 firmware...

the ride was about 1 hour 15 minutes.

i noticed that the video was split over 2 files.

the first one being about 45 minutes or so.

is this typical?

thank you,

joel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast