Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    There are detail changes between the 1 and 2. Most noticeable being a lock for the on-off slider on the 2. Useful if you just toss the camera in your pack between uses. The 1 is easy to accidentally turn on.

No need for the waterproof kit unless you use it in the water.

Also looks like the water sports kit includes only the surfboard mount
    Thanks Shiggy, when I was asking about a difference I meant the original Roam, since Amazon has different descriptions for the different prices I just wanted to make sure all the Roam1 cameras are the same, it's just the accessory packs that are different.

I thought the case might be nice to keep crap from scratching the lense. How have yours held up?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Thanks Shiggy, when I was asking about a difference I meant the original Roam, since Amazon has different descriptions for the different prices I just wanted to make sure all the Roam1 cameras are the same, it's just the accessory packs that are different.

I thought the case might be nice to keep crap from scratching the lense. How have yours held up?
    The price of the waterproof ROAM kit has gone up 20 dollars since I bought mine a couple months ago. Apparently it's quite popular still. I could have gotten one with a bunch of mounts for that price.

Relevant stuff below

That thing on the front of the ROAM is actually a lens protector so it's okay for it to be scratched.

A new lens protector is 5 dollars from Contour's website while that waterproof enclosure is 40. I'd go for the regular version with useful mounts unless you're specifically going snorkeling or diving.

Slightly related, a lens cover is also 5 dollars.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Turn your Contour Roam into a Contour Roam 2.

The differences are the accessories.

The stock lens cover does not get scratched, and it is replaceable. I carry a microfiber cloth to wipe the lens on the trail: dust, rain, mud--no problem. There is a rubber lens cap for transport protection.

The profile and rotating flat mounts are good for a helmet, but is use the Flex mount and Rollbar mount much more.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The differences are the accessories.

The stock lens cover does not get scratched, and it is replaceable. I carry a microfiber cloth to wipe the lens on the trail: dust, rain, mud--no problem. There is a rubber lens cap for transport protection.

The profile and rotating flat mounts are good for a helmet, but is use the Flex mount and Rollbar mount much more.

Thanks all I ordered the last one at $139 with the normal mounts, went ahead and bought the Bike mount kit for $59 since the flex mount alone was $27

Should have put more thought into before I hit the button. Since I ended up ordering the bike mount kit anyway, I should have bought the cheaper one with the waterproof case, that way I'd have it, spent a little less and still had all the bike mounts.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Can someone explain how I can do this on a MAC or is it the same directions

Quote Originally Posted by esteroali View Post
    Can someone explain how I can do this on a MAC or is it the same directions
    No difference. I use a Mac.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks to everyone in this thread. Got my camera and mount kit today. The update to Roam2 firmware went flawlessly. So it saved me a bit of cash. Can't wait to try it out on my next ride.

Question for you all. Which mode do you use 1080p @ 30fps or the 720p @ 60 fps? Wondering if the higher quality makes up for the slower frame rate as long as you don't want to do slow mo effects.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Thanks to everyone in this thread. Got my camera and mount kit today. The update to Roam2 firmware went flawlessly. So it saved me a bit of cash. Can't wait to try it out on my next ride.

Question for you all. Which mode do you use 1080p @ 30fps or the 720p @ 60 fps? Wondering if the higher quality makes up for the slower frame rate as long as you don't want to do slow mo effects.
    Be sure to reformat the card.

I have noticed better quality image at 60fps vs 30fps @ 720. Have not tried 1080
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Be sure to reformat the card.

I have noticed better quality image at 60fps vs 30fps @ 720. Have not tried 1080
    And it seems the sound is better, too. I haven't messed with the mic sensitivity, so the "factory" setting is more sensitive than the ROAM 1's.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    New member and I found this how to after purchasing the Roam. I got the ROAM within the past two weeks. I did all of the steps and after I hit the "Status" button my camera completely and totally died. It doesn't turn on at all, it doesn't show up on my computer when plugged in, I can't format the SD Card to return to the original settings. Any suggestions? Do you think Contour caught on to this and this is the solution?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    As a quick follow-up, the only thing that seems to get any response out of the camera is hitting the reset button which makes the battery light flash red? Any ideas? I'm not really trying to shell out another $100 for another camera.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just did mine tonight and works fine

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well, then I guess that's not the issue. I did everything step-by-step and formatted the card prior to the whole process. Now, the camera is completely dead(I don't know that it was fully charged before but it shouldn't have been very low either). Like I said, the only response I can get out of it is the battery light lights up red when I hit the "Reset" button but that is only while it is plugged in. I'm going to let it charge overnight and see if that does anything but I'm concerned as it died right after the update(the blinking yellow). I'm wondering if any more tech-savvy people have any idea what is wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Additionally, the biggest complaint I've read about Contour is how awful their customer service is.... so, I'm not looking forward to that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Did you reformat the card after the update?

Not reset, but reformat.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nothing happens at all when I hit the format button either. Even with the card out, the camera is completely dead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    okay, i ordered one from amazon... will be here today.

can't wait to try this!

joel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadent3 View Post
    Nothing happens at all when I hit the format button either. Even with the card out, the camera is completely dead.
    Try fully charging the camera before you do anything else.

Put the card (in an adapter, most likely) in your computer and copy the FW_RTC.txt to your desktop (or wherever you want it), then format it (FAT or FAT32) then put the two files back on the card (FW_RTC.txt and the firmware file) and try and restart the camera. Then reformat using the "FORMAT" button (NOT the "RESET" button!!!) and it should work fine.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'll try that when I get back from work, but even out of the box the camera would turn on without a card in it. It literally does nothing at all after I charged it overnight.

I'll try that when I get back from work, but even out of the box the camera would turn on without a card in it. It literally does nothing at all after I charged it overnight.
    Did you read this?
    http://help.contour.com/customer/por...ge-or-power-on

You have to press the reset button for a loooong time.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    No luck yet, the card comes up in a Card Reader just fine with all of the info on it, it just seems to be the camera itself. It's possible that it is completely dead if the charging cord is bad because I haven't had it all that long so I may have used up that initial charge by now. I will try to find another cord and go from there, but this isn't looking good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    However, it definitely seemed to be charging in the past and now it does not charge at all when plugged in nothing lights up. I think it's screwed, not sure if it had anything to do with this update, but it was blinking yellow(after updating and pressing status button) and then it just died completely. I guess I'm gonna have to give their customer service a try and any replacement will take forever as I got it off of Amazon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I can now attest that their customer service is not great. All tech support is done on a call back basis so you have to leave a message and they will get back to you "in the order that your call is received." Fantastic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I guess I'm gonna have to give their customer service a try and any replacement will take forever as I got it off of Amazon.
    i would simply return it to amazon and order a new one.

when returning to amazon tell them DOA or whatever and you can print the return shipping info out and drop off at a UPS or whatever you choose.

then get back online and order a replacement for yourself.

i just picked up my contour and will charge it before trying the update.

the packaging pretty cool - lol.

i got the contour roam waterproof for $129 from amazon.

i didn't know it came with the water proof case!!!

joel

However, it definitely seemed to be charging in the past and now it does not charge at all when plugged in nothing lights up. I think it's screwed, not sure if it had anything to do with this update, but it was blinking yellow(after updating and pressing status button) and then it just died completely. I guess I'm gonna have to give their customer service a try and any replacement will take forever as I got it off of Amazon.
    Replace through Amazon.
    mtbtires.com

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast