Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    official eMpTyBRain

Trouble with Contour Roam! HELP!!!

I need help from the Contour camera experts out there.

First of all, yes I am aware that Contour has gone bye-bye.

I have a basically brand new Roam. I cannot trust whether it's actually recording anything though. I always charge it before use. I go through the regular routine of pushing in the button to turn it on. I see the green battery light and green power light go on and then it beeps and those lights go off. I then slide the record switch and it beeps likes it's recording. When I slide the switch again to stop recording it beeps twice, but sometimes the second beep is long? It has a formatted 32GB mini SD card in it and it has recorded just fine several times.

Yesterday and other times recently, when I connect to Storyteller, all I see is gray areas for the recording sessions. There is something there and it will import something but it is not viewable, just gray screen. What is going on with this thing?!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Front Range, Colorado
    Take the lens cap off.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

official eMpTyBRain
    ^niiiiice.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing operator error of some kind. There is no button to turn the camera on, it's always "on", you just slide the record switch forward and it's off to the races. Of course, the simplicity makes the potential for operator error pretty remote.

So, lens cap isn't an out of line thought!

Where do you have the camera mounted? Could the lens be pointed at something gray? Are your videos all shot from the same mount?

Try recording something while holding it in your hand so you know where it's pointing.

Can you download the videos to your HD and play them with Windows Media Player? Maybe your copy of Storyteller got corrupted.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I'm guessing operator error of some kind. There is no button to turn the camera on, it's always "on", you just slide the record switch forward and it's off to the races. Of course, the simplicity makes the potential for operator error pretty remote.

So, lens cap isn't an out of line thought!

Where do you have the camera mounted? Could the lens be pointed at something gray? Are your videos all shot from the same mount?

Try recording something while holding it in your hand so you know where it's pointing.

Can you download the videos to your HD and play them with Windows Media Player? Maybe your copy of Storyteller got corrupted.
    Wait a darn minute?! You don't have to push the black button on the back of it before you use it for the first time in a series of recordings?! You most definitely do on the HD model. What am I doing to to it by pushing the black button, turning it off??? It beeps like it's recording but it's gray (computer screen gray) when I upload it. If you'd like I will take a screen shot and post it.

This aside, Storyteller does continue to work once it's downloaded with or without Contour support, CORRECT? And, can we still upload recording to the Contour website or is that dust now???

psycho cyclo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Wait a darn minute?! You don't have to push the black button on the back of it before you use it for the first time in a series of recordings?! You most definitely do on the HD model. What am I doing to to it by pushing the black button, turning it off??? It beeps like it's recording but it's gray (computer screen gray) when I upload it. If you'd like I will take a screen shot and post it.

This aside, Storyteller does continue to work once it's downloaded with or without Contour support, CORRECT? And, can we still upload recording to the Contour website or is that dust now???
    On Roam v1, you do not have to press the black button on the back ever If you don't want to... I press it on vey rare occasions to make sure my horizontal line is correct. Slide the switch on top to record and slide it back to turn it off. RTFM (read the fffffriendly manual )
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    On Roam v1, you do not have to press the black button on the back ever If you don't want to... I press it on vey rare occasions to make sure my horizontal line is correct. Slide the switch on top to record and slide it back to turn it off. RTFM (read the fffffriendly manual )
    I did read it but I must have gotten the function methods mixed up between it and the Contour HD. Why would they change the way it's used in the first place???

official eMpTyBRain
    I read the user guide for my Roam. If it works simply by sliding the records switch then I have think the unit is faulty because it's idiot proof where the user is concerned. I use a Contour handlebar mount exclusively. All of my videos are shot with mount. Do mounts go bad, LOL?! I'm getting close to throwing it against a wall as hard as I can and recording the whole thing with my superior HD model and then posting it on the Contour website.

Front Range, Colorado
    Start your troubleshooting by removing the lens cap. Don't just dismiss the obvious.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Start your troubleshooting by removing the lens cap. Don't just dismiss the obvious.
    Oh stop! These don't use a lens cap!!!

Front Range, Colorado
    Oh stop! These don't use a lens cap!!!
    Well then don't try to remove what's not there, you could damage it worse. Just STOP! Before you get in over your head.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Mine has a nice rubber lens cap. That might make a nice gray image if you left it in place.

Are you sure your lens has a clear field of view when it's in the mount? Nothing could be obstructing the view?

The button on the back simply turns on the laser for you to align the camera's orientation by rotating the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by ContourROAM Manual
    Pressing the Status Button will:
    - Activate Laser Line for 15 seconds.
    - Display current battery and memory status.
    Perhaps you should just reformat your SD card (using the camera's format button, of course) and see if that helps. You didn't mix up you SD cards between the two cameras, did you?

And while you're at it, you may as well reset the camera, too. In fact, I'd do that first and then format the card.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Mine has a nice rubber lens cap. That might make a nice gray image if you left it in place.

Are you sure your lens has a clear field of view when it's in the mount? Nothing could be obstructing the view?

The button on the back simply turns on the laser for you to align the camera's orientation by rotating the lens.

Perhaps you should just reformat your SD card (using the camera's format button, of course) and see if that helps. You didn't mix up you SD cards between the two cameras, did you?

And while you're at it, you may as well reset the camera, too. In fact, I'd do that first and then format the card.
    The camera mount positions the camera above the handlebar with a completely clear line of view. No obstructions whatsoever.

No, I never switch cards. In fact I never took the card out since I installed/formatted it. But I think you may be on to something here. Reformatting will most likely fix it THIS TIME. But what could have caused this to happen in the first place??? I can no longer trust this camera even if I can successfully reformat the SD card. I feel that it will happen again and again...

One thing I never liked about these Contour cameras (at least the original models) is that you could not pause and resume recording with them. I think I read somewhere that the new models can do this, though. I think I'm gonna shop for a different brand, but not GoPro. There is another high end brand out there that allows you to view/edit on the spot and it is controlled by a controller you wear on your wrist. I have seen the footage from these and it is top notch quality. Don't care how much it costs.

mtbr member
    One thing I never liked about these Contour cameras (at least the original models) is that you could not pause and resume recording with them.
    So just how long are we gonna go with this game, anyway?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

The camera mount positions the camera above the handlebar with a completely clear line of view. No obstructions whatsoever.

No, I never switch cards. In fact I never took the card out since I installed/formatted it. But I think you may be on to something here. Reformatting will most likely fix it THIS TIME. But what could have caused this to happen in the first place??? I can no longer trust this camera even if I can successfully reformat the SD card. I feel that it will happen again and again...

One thing I never liked about these Contour cameras (at least the original models) is that you could not pause and resume recording with them. I think I read somewhere that the new models can do this, though. I think I'm gonna shop for a different brand, but not GoPro. There is another high end brand out there that allows you to view/edit on the spot and it is controlled by a controller you wear on your wrist. I have seen the footage from these and it is top notch quality. Don't care how much it costs.
    If those features are important to you, you bought the wrong camera.

Move the slider switch forward to record. One beep and the red light comes on.
    Move it back to stop. One long or two short beeps and the light goes off.

No need to "pause." Just combine the clips in your editing software.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    If those features are important to you, you bought the wrong camera.

Move the slider switch forward to record. One beep and the red light comes on.
    Move it back to stop. One long or two short beeps and the light goes off.

No need to "pause." Just combine the clips in your editing software.
    My camera reacts exactly as shiggy has described with all the beeps and lights but it does not record anything that can be viewed. I tested it last night and nothing. No viewable video.

skiahh, why are you calling this a game??? I posted this thread with hopes that someone here had experienced exactly the same thing and had some insight and or recommendation since there is no longer a support crew to contact from the now dead Contour company. I'm a bit upset as I should be, and I'm venting. Someone may still reply who indeed has been through this. I can't be the only one out there.

mtbr member
    What firmware version is loaded? Maybe try updating it or reloading it

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    What firmware version is loaded? Maybe try updating it or reloading it
    Thanks for your reply. It's got the original firmware that it came with. It worked fine for a short while. I think I've used it on about 3 or 4 rides and it started acting up two rides back. It recorded the first few clips, but then it started recording with no sound and gray screen after that. When I discovered this, I did a quick test recording at home and it worked fine so I figured it was a fluke. But my last big ride was a total loss. The odd thing is that there is something recorded on the memory for every time I switched it on. I can attempt to upload what ever is there and it goes as fast or as slow as the amount of space used or the amount of time I recorded. So there are files but they can't be opened/viewed.

I'd like to upload a screen shot but image upload is off again....shiggy? Please help?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    1a. reload the firmware. downloadable firmware from contour is v1.11
    1b. upgrade the firmware to ROAM2 v2.16

CONTOUR | Firmware Updates

2. reset the camera by depressing the reset button

3. reformat the card

personally, i upgraded both my ROAMs to ROAM2 firmware.

report back!

joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

official eMpTyBRain
    OK, I am stuck in the firmware download process. I have downloaded ROAM2 firmware onto my system but it appears that my system does not have the text editor application I need to open the ROAM2 firmware. What do you guys suggest? Free if possible, please?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    windows... use notepad or similar.
    mac... use textedit.

1. download ROAM2 firmware
    2. format microSD using camera
    3. copy ROAM2 firmware to microSD card
    4. rename firmware file by removing the '2'
    5. edit file changing the N to Y
    6. disconnect camera
    7. push button, i think, and wait

joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

re member
    What brand card? I believe more issues with recording or lack of are caused by SD card issues a lot more than actual camera issues.

In other words, try a loaner SD card and see if problem "magically " goes away.
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    What brand card? I believe more issues with recording or lack of are caused by SD card issues a lot more than actual camera issues.

In other words, try a loaner SD card and see if problem "magically " goes away.
    I read somewhere that the Sandisk Ultra card will have issues without the latest firmware. I have this card and have done the Roam 2 hack but have not had any outdoor time with the camera. It's been working fine when the kids goof around inside with the camera.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    I read somewhere that the Sandisk Ultra card will have issues without the latest firmware. I have this card and have done the Roam 2 hack but have not had any outdoor time with the camera. It's been working fine when the kids goof around inside with the camera.
    I have a 32GB sandisk ultra w the ROAM2 firmware.

No issues.

Joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

mtbr member
    I'm using the same card and so far (very little usage) have had no issues myself but here's what Contour states:

While these cards were previously incompatible, Contour+2 cameras, as well as ContourGPS and Contour+ cameras, we have since updated our firmware to make these cards compatible. Our QA team verified that this fix worked, and I have personally seen these cards work in these models. This being said, we are getting a few scattered reports from customers that the Ultra cards are not working with their cameras - even when the firmware is updated. We're looking into this here, but in the meantime I would recommend testing your Ultra card to make sure it isn't faulty. You can do so with a free PC-only tool that can be downloaded here: http://mympx.org/plugins/p13_downloa...3_versionid=14

John Nov 30, 2012 11:34AM PST CONTOUR Agent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast