mtbr member

Trip Report: The Last Best Lookout (and practicing with new video equipment)

Just picked up some new camera equipment in the last few months to shoot mountain bike trips, but the snow's not quite ready for that yet in Montana. And being super impatient, I took it all out for the first time last weekend for an overnight ski to a fire lookout to get some practice.

Here's the results

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any suggestions. Really trying to get ahold on this whole video thing before the season hits

ps. The new equipment I got, a Glidecam 1000 hd & Manfrotto 561bhvd-1 monopod, is for stabilization. After my last video I realized this was the main aspect I could work on.
    Last edited by flumphboy; 03-15-2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling :P
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    overall id say that was a very good effort, the ski vid was great, and the scenary looked amazing. the views from the look out are breathtaking.
    as for suggestions not much really, just cut all dead time between shots, and choose your camera angles carfully. for mtb vids, low angles usually work best. take your time when setting up the shot, and try not to go to far away from subject you are filming, the last thing you want is for your subject to appear as a tiny dot on the screen.
    keep up the good work and i look forward to seeing your next vid.

mtbr member
    Ya, your right, mtbing is going to be a bit different. It's going to be quite the challenge to pick up all that fast movement up close. And, right now I don't have a very long-range lens for the NEX 5n I shot the above video with. It was pretty much shot between the lengths of 10mm-18mm. Maybe even a 50mm prime wouldn't be bad to throw in the mix. Ive also been thinking about picking up a couple Sony Action Cams to help with the downhill footage. Just to get some different angles. Maybe even some zipline footage.

Anyways, thanks for the kind words and advise, and Ill make sure to post my next attempt up here.
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    its always good to have a selection of lenses for the camera, we have a small fish eye, 10mm-22mm 17mm-50mm 70mm-200mm
    these cover most bases for mtb video. we use a cannon 7d.
    helmet cams, or pov cams are good for getting differant angles and views. but in my opinion its been done to death now. i mean just look in this forum now at how many dull boring pointless vids go up each week. thats why i always like to see 3rd person type vids. specially when shot from a decent camera, and well edited. by all mean get a pov. sony go pro contour vio what ever your choice. but keep the footage to a minimal to give maybe a riders perspective on a fast steep seation, or a technichal section. dont do a full lengh helmet cam run just cause you have the camera and feel you have to use it. mix it up and keep your intended viewing audiance excited. remember the most important thing though, is to go out and have fun, good luck. and i look forward to seeing you next vid.