mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Too hot to ride so I went self filming - Berowra Trails, Sydney, Australia

Just a little short I made on my local trail, self filmed not much action but I welcome some feedback.
    It was 37c yesterday, so after work I was still hanging to ride but knew the heat would be bad. Fun though!

https://vimeo.com/82433365

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Nice job! Again reinforces my observation that POV footage should be used judiciously and that external shots are usually more interesting giving good feel of the trail, seeing as your video has no POV shots!
    Actually, what were you shooting with? I see you got some fairly narrow depth of field on some shots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Taroroot View Post
    Nice job! Again reinforces my observation that POV footage should be used judiciously and that external shots are usually more interesting giving good feel of the trail, seeing as your video has no POV shots!
    Actually, what were you shooting with? I see you got some fairly narrow depth of field on some shots.
    Funny you should say that as I was thinking of going out and reshooting a little bit of POV to add to it. There are a few really cool sections of trail that I can't get the angles without a second person which I don't really have on hand right now. It's too tight narrow to get a shot with a tripod mounted camera. Might need to build some funky rigs to shoot with off the trees.

But I do agree with you, there is a tonne of POV stuff out there nowadays and sometimes it's just too much.

Shooting with Nikon D600
    Nikkor 20mm f2.8
    Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8
    iPhone 5 (I snuck in 2 shots I filmed a bit earlier with iPhone on ground and in a tree.)

Was a fun little project though. Loaded all my gear into a camelback and tripod attached to bag with tiedowns, was a bit heavy but as I was start stopping it never felt too bad.

Just used the iMovie app on my ipad to do the whole thing and I was pretty happy with the editing output.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Cool, I have yet to try using something bigger than the gopro & action cams. I know how much work it is doing it solo, did a couple myself! With small cams I could get creative with mono stick, nylon straps and Velcro straps to branches. The Ultra mini pods were great for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    nice little edit... good to see you doing somthing differant,,, far to many boring pointless pov vids these days, 3rd person is defo the way to go... keep up the good work. look forward to seeing your next project.

JDM
    mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing. This looks like a fun trail with beautiful views.

passed out in your garden
    Ripper of a video, man l forgot how loud the crickets are in OZ, its been about 27 yrs since l lived in Normanhurst, used to go to that area to fish.

Thanks for the memories mate
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    Ripper of a video, man l forgot how loud the crickets are in OZ, its been about 27 yrs since l lived in Normanhurst, used to go to that area to fish.

Thanks for the memories mate
    Wow normo is just down the road,

Yeah almost need to wear ear plugs out there!

*those are cicadas though not crickets

passed out in your garden
    Cicadas, thats right, leaving their crusts all over the place, used to love sticking them on clothes
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

mtbr member
    Foxpuppet-
    Great video and after getting my first GoPro and various mounts I plan on shooting a similar video. A few questions about using IMovie..

1. How did you export the video so that you can edit it on your iPad?
    2. Were the on screen titles/credits also done in IMovie?

I just ordered a Joby Gorrilapod tripod and hope the weather warms up a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

I have a lightning to SD card adapter, you just put the card in and import the video files directly to the iPad.
    The tiles were done in the iMovie app. There are a few but fairly limited font styles and some different animated effects for the titles. Easy to use and polished results. I have a very good iMac with Adobe creative suite for editing but wanted to see how the iPad went and was very happy with the outcome.

mtbr member
    Thanks for answering my questions. I think your video was extremely well done and gave me some ideas.

Peter