mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Spring Mountain, PA: Be harsh...

Hey all,

Been working on this video for a little bit and am fairly pleased with the way it turned out. Please don't be gentle in critiquing it, this is the result of advice I've taken from you in the past. Help me get better.

Launch Bike Park - Final Cut on pinkbike.com

swkshepherd

mtbr member
    Cool video, I enjoyed it.

It's all about the FSR!
    Cool video, but the intro, wayyyyy too long. More than a minute of footage that really could just be cut out. Throw the parts of you working on your bike in, cut out the breakfast and driving to the trail filmed at a weird angle, and you have a pretty damn good video.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the advice. I received very similar criticism from my fiancee and roommate. Music choice feel appropriate for the style of riding and filming?

RideDirt
    Good video, just like others have said, cut out the driving and cooking part.. How does that mountain ride? Looks like some fun trails .

It's all about the FSR!
    Quote Originally Posted by swkshepherd View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I received very similar criticism from my fiancee and roommate. Music choice feel appropriate for the style of riding and filming?
    I feel like the music is appropriate. I like that style of singing/dubstep though, so I am a bit partial. There will always be critics of the song and style of music that you choose. I also like that you included the wipeout. Bike rides are rarely perfect, and I am glad to see that left in there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice breakfast haha. Video looked good, maybe a little less moving of the camera, but it looked great!
    '10 Trek 4300 Disc

Hazardous to your health!
    nice video i like it! the intro isnt bad but it is a little long, the only issue i see is i hate when people fade out the video before the turn/jump/trick/crash is done which u did at the beginng.

good vid man
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper: Captain Tires, Disc Brakes, 24 speed

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

Hazardous to your health!
    x2 on wipeout
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper: Captain Tires, Disc Brakes, 24 speed

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Good video, just like others have said, cut out the driving and cooking part.. How does that mountain ride? Looks like some fun trails .
    The mountain rides slow (as I'm sure you can tell from the video). It can be hit much faster than we do if you have some skill, but it is super technical and rough from top to bottom on just about every trail on the hill. Only 400ft of vertical, so it's small, but it is challenging riding no matter how talented you are on a bike. Only thing I wish for is a flowier jump line or 4x style track to give your forearms a break.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the positive comments, guys. I'll probably work on another video of the same hill this weekend, but on a different trail. I'll keep in mind your criticism and see if I can improve on it. I'll throw in a full-on crash reel at the end (during the credits) as that seems to be the prevailing philosophy. I'll also shorten up the intro, and cut back on a bit of the artsy fade in/out crap. Anything else?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah, I have to agree with skipping the breakfast, working on the bike, driving to the park shots. All the mundane activities everyone does aren't that interesting unless you can think of a way to throw in a surprise.
    Imagine a close up of eating bacon and eggs with coffee and as the camera slowly zooms out we see it happening on the chairlift on the way up the mountain.....you get it, something different but related.

Personally, I'd skip all the credits unless your doing a professional movie. I'd give a nod to the music and riding partner, but I'd leave out all the bike parts you use and giving thanks to your parents and all....it's not the Academy Awards ya know.

...Still I like the video and the different terrain, keep it rolling!
    Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nice job with the video, but the rider needs to go faster.

Nickel Havr
    Cool vid!
    I like it the way it is...
    Much better than my poor editing!

EDIT: You forgot to credit the music at the end...

Here is a vid I shot at Launch during Gravity East... So everyone can get an idea of the terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Frequent Crasher
    I liked it, would agree it was a touch too long. Good choice in music, I like the Jakwob Remix of that song, but think the "Dream dubstep" remix suits my taste better I think Dubstep lends itself to videos especially if you time the music to the video stream, like as the musical drop hits, you time it with the climax of the particular clip.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now,
    Someone please tell me it's not a train.
    -Cracker

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'll be sure to keep them in mind if we end up shooting this Saturday. We've improved dramatically since this video was taken, so hopefully we'll be hitting it faster. A buddy of ours actually raced Gravity East and ended up second place in CAT 3. That course was really gnarly. Anybody gonna be riding up there this weekend that wants to meet up and ride with us? We're always welcoming of some friendly advice and criticism and more riders to film.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'll be there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bengxe View Post
    I'll be there.
    I expect so... Just realized who you were. Felt like a moron...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I liked it. Keep all the elements of the intro, including the breakfast, just shorter. 5-10 seconds of breakfast, 5-10 seconds of bike prep, 5-10 seconds of trip there, then get to the meat of it. I also liked the dramatic switch from b&w to color, but I think it lacked impact. It was a cool shot of the bike landing in time with the downbeat, but it would have been really cool to have more overall color in the shot. That could mean adding more to the frame (like people in colorful clothing looking on) or maybe just a contrast and color saturation bump in your editing software would be sufficient. But yeah, cool vid.