PMK
    mtbr member

Split screen video / how much computing power

So we rode the tandem at Alafia FTF 2012. On the Saturday ride at Balm Boyette, I ran two identical VIO POV 1.5 (non HD) cameras. One on the Captains helmet and one on the Stokers helmet.

We got some good video, obviously as typical it does not do the drops any real justice, but that's ok.

So with the VIO's, I used the remote, captured all video simultaneously, pushed on button, both cameras fired and recorded.

We had two sound tracks also.

For whatever reason, Sony Vegas codecs will not play VIO soundtracks, so I took the Captains version with the better sound quality, and converted it in AURA.

I then brought the two original videos onto the timeline, plus dropped in the converted video. Deleted the converted video but kept the audio.

In Vegas, I produced the split screen effect.

Problem is, for the larger files this takes a lot of horsepower to play without getting splits in the video / audio.

This first video is shorter and so far has worked fine, even rendering into a DVD that is TV capable. The longer videos, will drop sound off the tail end of the video and I have not been able to get a TV playable version on disc yet.

Any thoughts tips or pointers.

This video is the best one so far, I will post a second once I shorten it to under 500.

https://vimeo.com/53747686

PK
    Last edited by PMK; 11-19-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm not familiar with the camera you're using or Sony Vegas but here's my input for what it's worth. Are you only having trouble with playback of a dvd in a dvd player? Or playback on your computer as well? Even with split screen and extra audio file, that's not really a lot for most modern machines to handle. A rendered file is still just one video with audio track. Playback of your project in Vegas is another thing, but 2 SD video files and an extra audio track shouldn't bog things down. My guess is that it's an issue with export, disc burning, or your dvd player. Without seeing your project or how you're exporting and playing back, I couldn't give you any specific advice. Are you using an export option in Vegas that burns a disc, or are you exporting a particular file type and then burning a disc using another app or your OS?

PMK
    mtbr member
    Sorry for the slow reply.

As best as I can sort this out, I have exactly matched the ending points of all items via a snap to point setting. After accomplishment of this, I render using Vegas. That is by design of the Vegas program.

When rendered into an MPEG-TS (m2ts), the rendering process somehow misaligns the endppoints.

I switched to a more typical MPEG2 (mpg) and have now had the endpoints align, with a smaller file so I assume less video quality, but not bad.

The camera setups I am using are what were probably the best cameras a few years ago. The VIO POV 1 and 1.5. These are non HD but run the latest firmware updates.

In regards to disc burning, it seems the easiest currently on my computer is via WMP..

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!