mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Sony Imagination Studio 3.0 ?

I wanted to start putting together video edits from my Contour. I saw this software for $20 and thought it may be a good start. I am not savvy with video editing but have decent computer knowledge. Really looking to just put clips of rides together and add music.
    Would this be what I need?

Thanks!

Airborne Flight Crew
    Haven't used it. For Windows Machines, Windows Movie Maker is free, and has decent basic editing features. If you're on a Mac, imovie seems fairly easy too. Sorry, no experience with the sony stuff...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    as with most things, when it comes to editing software you get what you pay for!.
    you can get very basic software for free, like jh said, movie maker or imove that come with pc and macs, or there are basic ones that can be downloaded for free,
    these will allow you to do the very basics, like cut video and string clips togeather,
    for the price your looking at its gonna be a pretty basic package, it probably will do for what you want it for, one thing i will say though, now im not sure if it will do it or if its been sorted now but from experiance, and appollogies if i am wrong here,
    but i have 2 contours, older ones hd 720 and hd 1080, and use sony vegas 9 platinum, when i upload contour footage into vegas there is no sound, like i said the cams and software are 4 years old now so im sure the newer stuff should be fixed, but you may want to look into it.

my advice would be, if youre gonna get into editing , as you advance and your skills improve your gonna wish you had better software, so it could be worth spending a bit more now to get a better programme, as i said before you get what you pay for,
    at that price your only gonna get a very basic package, it will do what you asked in your thread, but only very limited, it will probably let you cut and crop clips togeather and put basic transitions and titles in and maybe background music,
    a slightly more advanced one will allow you to do more, cut clips and put them togeather, better transitions and effects, maybe colour corrections, keyframing, better titles, and back gound music,
    then there is the professional software that pretty much lets you do everything, but at a price lol...
    now i am not condoning this and it is illeagle lol. but if you look in the right places you may or may not beable to get professional software for free, seek and thee will find, lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    as with most things, when it comes to editing software you get what you pay for!.
    you can get very basic software for free, like jh said, movie maker or imove that come with pc and macs, or there are basic ones that can be downloaded for free,
    these will allow you to do the very basics, like cut video and string clips togeather,
    for the price your looking at its gonna be a pretty basic package, it probably will do for what you want it for, one thing i will say though, now im not sure if it will do it or if its been sorted now but from experiance, and appollogies if i am wrong here,
    but i have 2 contours, older ones hd 720 and hd 1080, and use sony vegas 9 platinum, when i upload contour footage into vegas there is no sound, like i said the cams and software are 4 years old now so im sure the newer stuff should be fixed, but you may want to look into it.

my advice would be, if youre gonna get into editing , as you advance and your skills improve your gonna wish you had better software, so it could be worth spending a bit more now to get a better programme, as i said before you get what you pay for,
    at that price your only gonna get a very basic package, it will do what you asked in your thread, but only very limited, it will probably let you cut and crop clips togeather and put basic transitions and titles in and maybe background music,
    a slightly more advanced one will allow you to do more, cut clips and put them togeather, better transitions and effects, maybe colour corrections, keyframing, better titles, and back gound music,
    then there is the professional software that pretty much lets you do everything, but at a price lol...
    now i am not condoning this and it is illeagle lol. but if you look in the right places you may or may not beable to get professional software for free, seek and thee will find, lol.
    Thank your for the advice.
    I bit the bullet and purchased the software already. I noticed that the newer version was $180 so I thought I was getting a great deal.
    I had a tough time figuring out the free Windows movie maker and gave up. It irritates me that Contour Storyteller has no editing functions. I think I will use this as baby steps to get to better quality edits. It also does some photo shopping so guess is could cut my teeth with that too.

Thanks for the help guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    if it retails at that price it should be reasonably good then,,,,
    have a look on youtube for tutorial vids, thats how i learned to use vegas. i really want the pro version but wasnt into the 500 bucks price tag lol. though it can be had cheaper now,
    have fun learning and good luck lol... now the fun begins lol, and it becomes a very time consuming process,
    just remember to go out have fun filming, dont forget to get creative, dont be afraid to experiment with various angles, to see what works and what doesnt, then when editing be very critical as to what makes it into your final cut or end project.... it's a steep learning curve, just have fun while learning thats all we did,,,,
    i look back at our earlier work now and cringe with embarrasment lol. i have much better footage that i binned off and will never use as i now deem it unworthy, than most of them earlier vids we posted on youtube lol.....
    but as i said before its all about learning, good luck,

re member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    ....when i upload contour footage into vegas there is no sound....
    Hey man, try renaming your files from xyxyx.mov to xyxyx.mp4. Then drop it on the timelline, see if you have sound then. I ran into this with the home version of Sony Vegas and this fixed the issue for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Hey man, try renaming your files from xyxyx.mov to xyxyx.mp4. Then drop it on the timelline, see if you have sound then. I ran into this with the home version of Sony Vegas and this fixed the issue for me.
    thanks for that,,,,,

i know in the past i have tried it but it didnt work, i even downloaded an update that was supposed to sort it out, but all it did was give me sound and lost the video lol. so i kind of give up, if i want sound i let my brother col do it on his macbook pro,,,

do you just rename them, or do you have to convert them to,,, is it as simple as just changing mov to mp4

re member
    In my case, it was a s simple as renaming (changing the file extension) from mov to mp4.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo