Thread: Sony AS100V

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Sony AS100V

I picked up a Sony AS100V camera and took it out for a test ride. I also have a Garmin Virb Elite (have posted videos).

I ran the sony in Pro mode (50MB), steady shot on, Vivid for the color setting, 30FPS. The camera also has GPS, but I did not do any overlays for this as it obscures the bottom 20% of the video and I wanted to look at video quality.

Audio quality may be the best I have heard from an action cam. I am ring studs and you can tell. Industry nine wheels/hub and you can hear the hub well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Video quality is about the same as the Garmin when looking at post production videos on Vimeo (1080P on Vimeo). I am not really surprised by that since bit rate gets decreased for posting on hosting sites. The Garmin has lens correction and it works very well, and I like it. The steady shot on the Sony is a bit better than the Garmin--although it will be another 45 days before I get the Sony out on the trails to really test it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Here is a video using both the Garmin Virb Elite and the Sony AS100V. The sony is mounted under saddle, so the scenes looking back are with it, and the scenes forward, are the Garmin.

mtbr member
    I'm camera shopping and the Sony does impress me. I also really like the JVC Adixxion. Not sold on the GoPro these days...there's so many others on the market that are competing and doing a damn good job. The bad thing is though, I really need to get something from REI because I have a dividend and 20% coupon which really puts the JVC at the top of the list. But the Sony (non-GPS) is dirt cheap at $139. Not eligible for the coupon though...maybe because it's on sale, not sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I was hoping REI would have gotten the AS100V in time to use the 20% off, but it did not look that way, and I had some Newegg points their were going to expire, so I got mine from Newegg. You are correct--lots of good options out there. I also considered the Ion Pro 3, but I really am liking the steady shot of the sony and garmin.

mtbr member
    If the AS100V has GPS then the 20% off wouldn't apply anyways. I don't know the reason, but you can't use the discount on anything that has GPS. I just ordered a Garmin 510 from there this evening and no discount. I used a return credit to pay for most of it. I figured if I get it there and it drops in price significantly, I'll return it and buy another one for the lesser price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Here is a link to my first ride with the Sony.
    I have my angle mounts all wrong, but you can get an idea for youtube quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qCQ03sOfhE

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hi
    I have this cam but I can't use pro mode because my media micro sd is not compatible (micro sdhc extreme plus 32go)!! What card do you use??

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Here is a recent descent off of Rocky Knob MTB park in Boone, NC. I have included it because we have more color now than two weeks ago. I think it gives a better idea of the cameras capabilities. While I cannot compare it to a GoPro, I have to say I am very happy with my new toy.
    This was shot in Pro Mode with stabilization on. However, Youtube just doesn't do it justice.

PBJ Descent v2 - YouTube

I have found the best placement so far is off the handle bars with the camera inverted. This is the mount I am using.

Amazon.com: Flashpoint Camera Bike Bracket Mount for 31.8mm Handlebars, Allows the Mounting of Ballheads: Camera & Photo

I wish I could find a good mount in the chest area, but the ergonomics of the camera don't make this easy.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Stream, I cant watch the video due to copyright and it being locked from australia. But when im doing downhill over lots of small bumps I find that my camera struggles, im using the headmount strap on the helmet but I think I might have to go with the adhesive strip, in your video is It shaky at all? Im not sure if its because its on my helm or because its not secured enough.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Korbzy,
    I have been shooting in Pro mode with stabilization on and I have had good success. My terrian is very rockyalso and I am pleased with the results. I have been using a handlebar mount, so maybe that make a little difference. When I dropped down to the 720 240 mode without stabilization I notcied a substaintial difference. It was hard to watch.
    I am going to test out a chest mount, though in just playing around with it last night I felt silly wearing it. I'll let you know.....

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Give a helm mount a go, with the strap if you have one. I much prefer side helm view. Ill try and upload a segment of mine to show you.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf-6aqMahSM

this is a sample of run with promode 30fps with stabilization on

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Here is the Sony AS100V with GPS overlay. The sony software is very slow at combining the video with the GPS, and the data is not customizable (unlike dashware or garmin's editor). Overall though, it produces a good result.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by orind View Post
    Here is the Sony AS100V with GPS overlay. The sony software is very slow at combining the video with the GPS, and the data is not customizable (unlike dashware or garmin's editor). Overall though, it produces a good result.
    Yeah, that feature is kind of a tease, because while it does work, it has a lot more potential than we are getting out of it. I am hoping for a software update since Sony seems to be getting serious about the action cam market.