mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sony Action Cam?

Does anyone have one, and if so, how does it compare to a GoPro?

I've read the reviews but would like some input from another fellow rider who has actually used the cam or owns one.

Thanks!

I ride a Swarf
    Hi,

I have one. It's ok...not bad but not great, but in hindsight I think I'd rather have the gopro 3 black.

720p at 30fps is overly compressed, at 60 and 120fps its better but no sound. 1080p is better from a compression point of view.the built in steadyshot is quite good but narrows the field of view too much for my taste for biking. The housing on mine just encrouches into the shot so can be seen in the corner of video in hte 170 degree setting. The lens and housing fogs up (my old gopro hero HD did too though). Wireless to my iphone is quite good, but I think the gopro 3 remote + app is better.

the action cam form factor is probablt better for side mounting on a helmet but no good for chest mounting.

The gopro has far more mounting options (gopro and third party)
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart B View Post
    Hi,

I have one. It's ok...not bad but not great, but in hindsight I think I'd rather have the gopro 3 black.

720p at 30fps is overly compressed, at 60 and 120fps its better but no sound. 1080p is better from a compression point of view.the built in steadyshot is quite good but narrows the field of view too much for my taste for biking. The housing on mine just encrouches into the shot so can be seen in the corner of video in hte 170 degree setting. The lens and housing fogs up (my old gopro hero HD did too though). Wireless to my iphone is quite good, but I think the gopro 3 remote + app is better.

the action cam form factor is probablt better for side mounting on a helmet but no good for chest mounting.

The gopro has far more mounting options (gopro and third party)

Thanks for these inputs! I'm planning to get one for my adventure next week and your info here is convincing for Sony Action Cam --wink
    Last edited by wink23; 03-13-2013 at 10:46 PM.

Fartographer
    In case you haven't seen it, I just published an Mtbr POV camera shootout today and the Sony Action Cam was a top pick for best value. It had the second best video quality and costs $150 less than the GoPro Hero3 Black. The GoPro Hero3 Black was the overall winner and is by far the most versatile, but I think the Sony is very good - especially for the money. Here's a link to the shootout:

POV Action Cam Shootout – Which Camera Is The Best? | Mountain Bike Review

Right now, I think the biggest issue with the Sony is the lack of mounting options. They need to work on that to make it a really serious competitor for mountain biking. The chest mount is never going to happen, though. Only the GoPro's lower-profile form factor is safe for chest mounting, and even that is somewhat risky. I wouldn't want to superman hard onto a rock with a GoPro on my chest. It is the best mounting angle, though.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member

Sony Action Cam?

You said it John. I've been looking at the Action Cam as well, and come to find that you can pick one up for $180 on amazon.

So, for the same price of a gp black, you could have 2 Sony AC 10s and a tank of gas to get you there.

ps. I don't understand the mounting issue. You can build your own RAM system and attach it to anything. Even a tripod.
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just got an ION Air Pro and it works quite well.

It comes with a bunch of mounts, does 1080P/30 with sound, and is priced right.

I've been researching these too... with the horrible reviews on the GoPro Black over at Amazon, I'm staying away from that one. I think I'm going with the JVC or Sony... with the good reviews, and biggest of all price, you can't lose.

Since I'm such a computer dork as well... I made this print out to see the actual size of the Sony... feel free to print it out and fold it up. The measurements should be spot on unless your printer scales it down funny.

Click on the image to enlarge: imageox - upload. share. a simple free image hosting and photo sharing cloud service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Since I'm such a computer dork as well... I made this print out to see the actual size of the Sony... feel free to print it out and fold it up. The measurements should be spot on unless your printer scales it down funny.
    Nice!
    Casey Greene - Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association
    http://greenecasey.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    lol, go pro just used DMCA abuse to take a review down they didn't like. Sony already offers a lot better value with truer white balance (which can be adjusted in post process anyway). Giving money to companies like this leave such a sour taste in my mouth, makes me decision easier.
    GoPro_HERO comments on GoPro doesn`t like you to use their name. DMCA abuse.