Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mulleticious
    I had similar issues to you. Tried several different types of software without satisfaction, including AVS (which you can get free). Eventually upgraded my PC - needed a new one anyway. As I understand it, what makes a major difference is a good graphics card. Adobe Premiere Elements is hungry software and really benefits from this type of hardware. Probably not what you want to hear, due to the cost - just my 10c worth. The bottom line is that HD editing is a whole different ball game to SD, and having the right kit helps a lot.

www.swampclub.org
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    I wasnt aware AVS cost. I know I paid 80 bucks or so for neoscene.
    I understand MPEG Streamclip is the same, and is 100% free.
    True. There is a workaround to use AVS Video Editor for free, but I really didn't want to go that route.
    "Wish not so much to live long, as to live well." - Benjamin Franklin

www.swampclub.org
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerfrater1
    I had similar issues to you. Tried several different types of software without satisfaction, including AVS (which you can get free). Eventually upgraded my PC - needed a new one anyway. As I understand it, what makes a major difference is a good graphics card. Adobe Premiere Elements is hungry software and really benefits from this type of hardware. Probably not what you want to hear, due to the cost - just my 10c worth. The bottom line is that HD editing is a whole different ball game to SD, and having the right kit helps a lot.
    Thanks for the tips, but my video editing machine is a high-end 64bit Dell XPS using the top i7 processor and 8G of RAM. Resources are definitely not the problem.
    I did finally figure out the issue with Adobe PE8 though. While installing the Windows codec pack for Windows Movie Maker on Windows 7, it noticed that one of the codecs installed by PE8 was bad and automatically replaced it after asking me if I wanted to."LOL" (Laughing at myself).
    I've read a hundred different posts from people with the same problem. Fixed by Windows 7 automatically. Nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just go to the Go Pro User Forum (no relation to the company) and you will find all of your answers.

The problem is that with PCs, depending on which codecs you have (and the overall speed of your CPU and video card) you will have to convert and transcode the MPG4 video format that GoPros' record in in order not to lose and video quality AND be able to edit with seamless (read, not choppy) video with most video editing programs.

Good luck.

All Mountain
    Dec 2010
    hell windows movie maker works. Ive used vegas 9 and its pretty awesome. i want to buy it but dont even have the little bit of money it costs ha. damn having to pay for school.
    AIM - Mr.AllMountain@yahoo.com is the screen name

Hit Me Up

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    If you are a college/university student, a parent of a college or university student, or a teacher, you can get Adobe Premier Pro CS5 and After Effects Student Edition at a big discount... Check out Adobe.com or Amazon.com for Student Edition pricing.

Premier CS5 and After Effects CS5 are 64-bit applications. Premier Pro CS5 also takes advantage of CUDA to accelerate its playback engine. If you have the right hardware, editing GoPro videos is much faster... even with multiple layers and special effects. No need to do any transcoding and pre-rendering to preview smoothly. A real time saver.

Here is a sample of a multilayer video I am talking about that Premier Pro had no problem editing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw_I_c3iYfc

Video has continuous 3 layers, 2 x 720p (front and back camera) plus the telemetry info.

mtbr member
    Just got my Hero2. Don't have any software to edit with. Searching the open source market. Why can't anything ever be simple?

dumb ass
    [QUOTE=Lawson Raider;6387138]
    2) If you are a WinXP user, download the plugins (http://www.papajohn.org/Downloads/) and install so it will write in 1280x720 format. Save the plugins in the C:\program files\Movie Maker\shared\profiles (if the directory doesn't exist, create it).

#2 link doesn't work. i went to papajohn.org and founs a bunch of downloads.

which 1 do we need??

thx
    Baby seal walks into a club.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    my go pro hd is coming on its way... what are current (free if possible) solutions to editing videos???

thanks...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

GoPro Editing Help

Quote Originally Posted by Jengah View Post
    I'll apologize in advance and take all the crap you want to throw at me, but I need to learn video editing for dummies. I've read most all the threads about editing and software (VLX, QT, Vegas 9, etc...) but no one really explains step by step how to do this.

Here's my prob. I've got the HeroHD, have recorded videos in what I beleive is the highest setting, but no matter what I do I get choppy video.

I'm on a P4, 2MBRAM, PC. It's not Ferrari, but not a slouch either.

Can someone point me to a tutorial or take the time to give me the basic steps needed to get the video to look good? I don't know if the record rate is too high for my computer or software (I've got Movie Maker, VLC, Vegas 9) or if I haven't converted correctly, whatever...

Here's what I was able to do so far on YouTube.(it's of me crashing)

group ride run - YouTube

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Just a suggestion, but maybe you'd be better off using a service for editing your gopro videos, especially if you're feeling overwhelmed/frustrated by the different editing options and obstacles. My buddy uses this gopro editing service and gets great edits. Personally, I've never used them with my own footage because I actually enjoy the editing process, but could be worth a try.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionSportsJunky View Post
    Just a suggestion, but maybe you'd be better off using a service for editing your gopro videos
    Wow, resurrecting and answering a question from two year ago...

It seems like your answer is sincere, but it sure is odd answering it when the question was raised so long ago. How about posting some links to your buddy's videos that he has created? And maybe one or two that you have created? That would give us a better feeling that your post and that your not just peddling a web site service.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Why not use Windows Live Movie Maker?

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ve-Movie-Maker

Before you go all video editor elitist and mock it, give me a good reason why WLMM wouldn't do a good job with GoPro footage.

And it's FREE

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post

Before you go all video editor elitist and mock it, give me a good reason why WLMM wouldn't do a good job with GoPro footage.

And it's FREE
    I DO now! I have given up with Adobe Premiere Elements 9 a while ago because it's sh!te and so difficult to use. For a while though, there was no WMM that could handle HD, which is when I bought Elements. But that was a few years ago now.

www.swampclub.org
    My thoughts exactly.
    FYI... The newer GoPros (HD) and Windows Movie Maker (for W7) are a good, simple combination.

Quote Originally Posted by hanskellner View Post
    Wow, resurrecting and answering a question from two year ago...

It seems like your answer is sincere, but it sure is odd answering it when the question was raised so long ago. How about posting some links to your buddy's videos that he has created? And maybe one or two that you have created? That would give us a better feeling that your post and that your not just peddling a web site service.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    what about no transcoding, no laborious work, just natively import and edit in pro way. that's the gopro video editor-the best gopro video editing program up-to-date.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

And it's FREE
    Because.

Premiere for editing, After Effects for compositing, Soundbooth for sound effects, and either FL studio if I'm creating my own music.. Once all is said and done, mix it all back into Premiere, save it, and render out using Media Encoder.

The cool thing is that it uses a dynamic link server, so I can import the different projects into the different programs, and if I update something in 1, it updates in the others. Not too mention you don't need to render it out before doing something in another program. Great feature. And yes, I'm an Adobe fanboi

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuyOnABike View Post
    Because.

Premiere for editing, After Effects for compositing, Soundbooth for sound effects, and either FL studio if I'm creating my own music.. Once all is said and done, mix it all back into Premiere, save it, and render out using Media Encoder.

The cool thing is that it uses a dynamic link server, so I can import the different projects into the different programs, and if I update something in 1, it updates in the others. Not too mention you don't need to render it out before doing something in another program. Great feature. And yes, I'm an Adobe fanboi
    I'm sure every one of those programs do a great job, no doubt. But yikes... that's a lot of steps for GoPro footage. If you're mixing footage from other cameras, different frame rates, higher level audio... I understand.

But is there anything you've found with Windows Live Movie Maker that wouldn't accomplish the same end result that you typically produce in your GoPro footage?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda Byrant View Post
    what about no transcoding, no laborious work, just natively import and edit in pro way. that's the SPAM LINK gopro video editor-the best gopro video editing program up-to-date.
    Why are you posting spam in this forum?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm sure every one of those programs do a great job, no doubt. But yikes... that's a lot of steps for GoPro footage. If you're mixing footage from other cameras, different frame rates, higher level audio... I understand.

But is there anything you've found with Windows Live Movie Maker that wouldn't accomplish the same end result that you typically produce in your GoPro footage?
    My titles :P

One thing that actually comes to mind is a better way to handle stabilization of the footage.

I do admit though, that for the average person, the creative suite package is way to excessive. As an video enthusiast though, it allows for a bit more professional look with my videos (disclosure: I don't have a GoPro currently, but getting one "soon". I'm referring to other videos that I've done).

www.swampclub.org
    Good tip. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by changjiangchang View Post
    i believe the gopro video editor wins, it's free, powerful than windows movie maker, sony vegas, adobe and other so called top-ten editing software. there are just many video effects you can choose from, no conversion needed, replace background music, cut, split, merge with other projects, burn to dvd, upload to youtube, you know. one you just can't miss.

Maromero
    Why are you posting spam in this forum?
    Do you consider free software SPAM?

mtbr member
    I'm still a video editing newb, considering I've only had a video camera since Xmas... So far I've been using WLMM, and it's getting the job done. What I would really like though is a USER MANUAL!!!! I hate trying to stumble through things....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    Do you consider free software SPAM?
    No, not at all. In fact I use MPEG Streamclip as do a bunch of other folks here.

But a new forum user posting their first comment which pushes a product is fishy. And if you look at the site there is a "Buy Now" button. But the purchase button and even the entire site is misleading. The buy link indicates a subscription fee and nothing about the software.

Then if you click the download link a file named AVSVideoEditor.exe is sent from another site. If you search on that name you find that the app is actually from the other site, the official site for that app. So what gives? Is this site trying trying to trick users into purchasing their "subscription" by making folks think they are supporting an app that's from another company? That's what it appears to be doing. Finding suckers that will purchase a "subscription" fee for another company's product.

So I stand by my SPAM comment. Ignore that site. If you want the actual app then go to the official site.

Btw - Why are you supporting the SPAM site?

Airborne Flight Crew
    yeah, have to agree, that was sorta spam Every link on that page links to an AVS product, none of them link to Cineform Editor - the actual GoPro software (if you hover over the links before clicking, you can see the url it will take you to in the status at the bottom of your browser).

While the AVS software WILL edit GoPro files (hence "gopro editor"), it's not the actual product.

Cineform Studio - also free - and downloadable direct from the GoPro website works pretty good, but its not really the same sort of editor as WLMM or even Premiere. Still it does some nice things with GoPro files and is worth the download price of FREE...

GoPro CineForm Studio
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

www.swampclub.org
    No, not at all. In fact I use MPEG Streamclip as do a bunch of other folks here.

But a new forum user posting their first comment which pushes a product is fishy. And if you look at the site there is a "Buy Now" button. But the purchase button and even the entire site is misleading. The buy link indicates a subscription fee and nothing about the software.

Then if you click the download link a file named AVSVideoEditor.exe is sent from another site. If you search on that name you find that the app is actually from the other site, the official site for that app. So what gives? Is this site trying trying to trick users into purchasing their "subscription" by making folks think they are supporting an app that's from another company? That's what it appears to be doing. Finding suckers that will purchase a "subscription" fee for another company's product.

So I stand by my SPAM comment. Ignore that site. If you want the actual app then go to the official site.

Btw - Why are you supporting the SPAM site?
    Although I agree with much you have said here, I do not see the original post as SPAM. SPAM by definition is either bulk or automatic posting, or unsolicited information, and the original post is neither. It may be worded strangely, but is no doubt relevant in this thread and may be helpful to many people. If it works as described, I would consider this software if I needed to purchase some.
    NOTE:
    The linked-to software is NOT FREE and there are no 3rd-party reviews on this software that I could find, so buyer beware.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast