Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

smallest, most unobtrusive helmet camera?

14K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  adriano 
#1 ·
I am not looking for the ultimate HD resolution. All I want is a really small camera to be mounted on the helmet or, even better, on the handlebar (where it should ideally "camouflage" itself as a front light).

The reason, as you have probably guessed, is not so much the documentation of my trail exploits, but rather my growing disgust with the careless and dangerous behavior of motorists during my daily commute.

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Contour's are the smallest with the Drifts right there with them... there are "key chain" camera's that are super tiny but they don't have the record time/battery life...

Go pro's are kinda big and blocky...

there is a new-ish cam that is actually used by police a lot now... looks kinda like a blue tooth ear unit for your phone.. loops the ear /glasses... can't remember the name...

there are bike glasses that have a cam built in also...

look here for variety...

Sports & Action Cameras| B&H Photo Video

#5 ·
I am not looking for the ultimate HD resolution. All I want is a really small camera to be mounted on the helmet or, even better, on the handlebar (where it should ideally "camouflage" itself as a front light).

The reason, as you have probably guessed, is not so much the documentation of my trail exploits, but rather my growing disgust with the careless and dangerous behavior of motorists during my daily commute.

Any suggestions?
My Contour is often mistaken for a light.

#8 ·
hey collideous got vids to see? would love to see what it looks/records like in those mounts you show...
Only one so far, a road ride.

The spider mount works surprisingly well. Here are a couple of photos of the camera mounted to my bike. When you twist the bendable legs together, the Spiderpodium won't move a bit. It's also an ideal gizmo to attach the camera to branches, fences or place it on rocks or any other surface. Reviews on Amazon are mixed. Some people report that the legs break. At the moment I can't comment on that.

#11 ·
Do you really think a motorist is going to notice a camera, think twice about it, and drive any different because of it?

Seriously, you could probably strap one of the old school VHS recorders to your bike and I still doubt they would drive any different.

#16 ·
I'm also looking for one and my reason is the same: disregard of traffic rules by motorists.

The reasons why I want a small and unobtrusive camera are that it would be on me at all times and I care somewhat about looks, but also if someone confronts me and hurls insults and threats, them noticing the camera could escalate the situation. I'd rather have them mouth off and leave, and then use the video as evidence.

Right now a small thing called MD80 has my attention, but I'd rather buy a tube-shaped ("pen") camera that has the lens forward along the long axis of the camera.

To reduce the need for super wide angles, make sure I record as much as possible and reduce vibration, I'm going for a helmet mounted one. Goggles aren't excluded, but any good ones are significantly more expensive.

#17 ·
Our local newspaper publishes bike-related articles every second week or so, e.g. reporting the inauguration of a new bike path etc. And every single time, with remarkably predictability, a chorus of commenters launches invectives against bikers (1)being careless, (2) disregarding traffic rules, (3) hampering motorists, (4) causing waste of public money because of the bike lanes, (5) not having to pay "bike taxes", and much more.

When I commute to work, however, what I actually see are motorists constantly blocking intersections, speeding within residential zones, cutting off bikes and pedestrians, honking around like drunken chimpanzees, and disregarding stop signs. And mind you, this is in Zurich Switzerland - an allegedly civilized place!

So, I thought that a little documentation of this kind of "daily terror", with occasional emails to the local police dept., may not harm...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.