mtbr member

should I return the go pro camera I got...?

Hello, I've got some questions about this camera I just got, the go pro HD helmet hero and I'm not really that impressed! In fact im a bit piss off because I was really looking forward to making video.

So its pretty much been a pain in the ass from the start, the video was pixlated then I fixe it and now the video is more blurry than it should be in my opinion.
    Plus the contourROAM just came out!
    Id really like to keep this camera but I honestly don't know if I like it enough and want some advice....

The only reasons I got the go pro is because you can mount it on your chest, it come with a very durable case (not very quality, cheap plastic clip) and it comes with mounts and stuff
    Now the roam is out and when I mounted the go pro on my chest it didn't work so great
    Maybe I should work with it more but honestly it's like working with a dinosaur.

Should I go through the trouble to return it (or sell it on eBay)? Or just mess around with it more?

What's the contourROAM like? Better than the go pro?

Thanks! ODF97

mtbr member

Just my two cents......

It sounds to me like you want the Contour camera and probably won't be happy until you get that. I think you already know what you are going to do
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

you really didn't show us anything that helps us figure out your situation:

So its pretty much been a pain in the ass from the start, the video was pixlated then I fixe it and now the video is more blurry than it should be in my opinion.
    I don't know what to make of this. Could be the camera, could be camera settings, could be an insecure mount, could be the software you're using. It could be any combination of the above. You just don't give enough information. Not to mention, if you don't have an HD display to view the video, you won't even see it in its full glory in the first place.

It does really sound like you want the ROAM, anyway, and that no matter what anyone says, you won't be happy with the GoPro.

mtbr member
    I had a Contour ROMA (Used it on my Ducatis on the street and track) when it was branded under a different name "UHoldr". It was okay but, software was a pain (Maybe because it was still under devel??). BUt, having the lasers to line-up etc. was kinda cool. But, don't get it wet, etc.

I'm thinking of going to a GoPro!!

Nickel Havr
    I prefer my Contour (1080p & 720p) over GoPros...
    What kind of memory card are you running?
    It helps to run a class 10 card with a high read/write speed...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    I don't have either but I don't see how the ROAM is any more innovative or better than the GoPRO HD. I have friends that have the GoPRO so I have experience using it. Yes, the GoPRO has been out longer....a "dinosaur" as you call it. What technology improvements lead you to believe the ROAM would be any better?

I don't have any #'s to base my opinion, but I would bet that most vids you see are made by GoPRO cams as opposed to Contour. I know you don't like the chesty mount but I've seen hundreds of vids, and if done right, the chest view is the best all around perspective IMO. Doesn't appear you can do that with the Contour, but I'm sure people will try to jury rig it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    We use the Go pro Off road desert racing with wonderful results. Check settings, or possibly you have a bad unit. Should look pretty amazing. I have never used the contour however, so I don't know how it would compare, Good luck!

WLB
    It's a Mojo mang!
    There's a ton of very high quality video on the interwebz made w/GoPro. I have one and don't have any complaint about the quality. But you have to have the right display to view it in HD. Are you just plugging it into to a regular non-HD television to view it? If so, then yes, it will suck. And the HD output from anything else from a Contour to a Canon 5D will look sh**ty as well if not viewed on a HD display of some kind.

Take a look at this: HD stoke from Jackson Hole

to see what's possible with a GoPro. Take time to learn how to use it, how to edit & output video (what software are you using, makes a big difference) and then decide.

There's a lot of truth to the old adage that says "A poor mechanic blames his tools"

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    I had a Contour ROMA (Used it on my Ducatis on the street and track) when it was branded under a different name "UHoldr". It was okay but, software was a pain (Maybe because it was still under devel??). BUt, having the lasers to line-up etc. was kinda cool. But, don't get it wet, etc.

I'm thinking of going to a GoPro!!
    Vhodlr was Contour's old brand name. The cameras all look basically the same. The ROAM is a new model claimed to be waterproof to 1 meter.

You do not have to use the bundled software either.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Also: I think a lot of people get a camera and think that creating interesting, high quality mtn bike films is easy. It isn't. Making good films is work, and the camera generally doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

Keep the GoPro, and practice practice practice using it.

mtbr member
    well I returned it... Oh well :/
    Should I get another? Lol maybe it was me but the last straw was last night the 3M mount, not kidding either it popped right off my helmet!

Do the contour handle low light better??
    If it does I'll go with that and get it now.

If you guys really think the go pro is better, I'll get that when I feel like I know a little more.

More info?
    Okay so first it was working great then the video started looking like digital camouflage, so I contacted gorpro support, told me to update firmware, I did and it still was crap, exept when it's in 1080p mode.... Or when I put it through an mp4 converter, and that seems ever more weird to me...

Here is the video I fixed.
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

You guys tell me what you think, get the go pro again and mess around with it more or get the contour roam?
    I have no real formed opinion about the two camera besides that fact that the go pro has no instructional video that I could find to set up a go pro.. Reason I returned the camera so fast is because I didn't want to damage it and then best buy wouldn't take it back.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Oh and I'm using a HP G60-243CL notebook pc, windows vista. I think it's a 2008 still runs pretty fast
    And one more that is, for that 22 second video that all I did was put it through a converter it took 17 minutes to upload. Like really?? Wtf!
    I was using a wifi connection but I was right new to the router.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    ISTR the GoPro being BETTER than the Contour cams with low light, but I have not investigated that lately.

So is the main problem you were having the noise that comes up around 0:17 into that video?
    If so, were you using a memory card recommended by GoPro? Specifically, what "class" was it? (high class is better, "better" meaning faster for the camera to write to). It looks like maybe the camera was not able to write the video fast enough.

I also find it odd that the video you uploaded was shot at a standard def aspect ratio (note the black bars on the side, know as "pillarboxing").

As for long upload times, you don't give us any information that would help us determine if that is not normal. "wifi" means many thing, and runs at many speeds. Some useful info would be how fast your internet connection is, as determined by a site like Speakeasy Speed Test.

mtbr member
    I have Kingston class 4 32GB SD card, go pro said that the SD card us fine..
    I have a linksys router with 1.5 Internet, that's all I know about the Internet.

We aren't really able to tell if anything is wrong with your camera image quality since that video is playing in 720p. However from what I can tell it looks like any loss of quality is likely due to poor lighting conditions. Try taking it outside and recording a short video in proper sunlight then upload it to YouTube in 1080p.*

Please let us know if you have any further questions.*

Many Thanks,

GoPro Support.

And the other one regarding the SD card:
    Sorry to hear about that.*

Your SD card should be good if you are using a Kingston class 4 card. If you could please upload a video demonstrating this problem to YouTube we can review it and better assist you in troubleshooting.

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware to see if that fixed the problem?

Many Thanks,

GoPro Support

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg View Post
    I don't have either but I don't see how the ROAM is any more innovative or better than the GoPRO HD. I have friends that have the GoPRO so I have experience using it. Yes, the GoPRO has been out longer....a "dinosaur" as you call it. What technology improvements lead you to believe the ROAM would be any better?

I don't have any #'s to base my opinion, but I would bet that most vids you see are made by GoPRO cams as opposed to Contour. I know you don't like the chesty mount but I've seen hundreds of vids, and if done right, the chest view is the best all around perspective IMO. Doesn't appear you can do that with the Contour, but I'm sure people will try to jury rig it.
    me calling it a dinosaur is the settings is a pain. the buttons lag and the way the sat it up was the cheapest i know but its kinda lame that they didn't put more time into it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Here's my .02 cents from when I experimented with the GOPRO HD.

My Co-worker was experiencing the same problem with it being all pixalated. I recommend him invest in a nice SDHC card. Something that writes pretty fast and is of course, above a Class 4. I let him borrow my SDHC card from my DSLR which writes at a pretty fast rate. Card was a 8GB card and writes at a rate of 30MB/sec (Now I believe you can get a 32GB that writes at approximately 45MBs/sec for around 120) Anyways, after he tried mine, same camera, there was no pixalation or delay of the video.

The next day I brought in my GoPro to give it a try and same problem, his card made the video all pixalated while my Fastwriting low capacity card, created the video and images just fine. SO with that said i would try experimenting with different SDHC card to see if the issue is the Camera or if it is Memory card itself. It seems as if most of the problems from either recording or transferring it to the computer, could be due to a crappy SDHC memory card.

Even if you returned the camera, I would still highly recommend it over the Contour having gotten a chance to use both cameras. BUT of course, each person has their preference on what they think is better.

If anybody else is experiencing this problem, give my solution a try. If it doesn't work... email go pro lol

BTW i saw this thread a couple days ago and it gave me the itch cause I couldn't respond to it due to my other account(s) not being able to get the confirmation emails... changed emails and voila! account created

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Make sure your shooting at 720p because you get 60fps and you can do slow motion if wanted.

your computer specs are just okay. they'll "work" but laptops are generally not ideal for video editing. Video editing is very hardware-intensive (especially processing and memory). The more memory you have, the faster the processing will go. Your machine does appear to support HD, though, so that's good.

Once you've finished processing your video and you're ready to upload, you've gotta realize something: HD video file sizes are enormous. It will take a long time to upload them.

Overall, your clip is what I would expect for a 720p video. It looks like you were recording in the 960p setting, which would explain the pillarboxing if you did not have your aspect ratio set correctly in your editing program.

You still don't say which editing program you were using for it. You say that the problem goes away when you use an mp4 converter. you wouldn't by chance be using windows movie maker, would you? if that's the case, it might just explain the problem. you need a program that can natively work with the h.264 compression that the GoPro uses. a crappy freebie program like WMM may not necessarily handle h.264 compression well. I use Sony Vegas HD Platinum, and so do many others...but there are other very good programs available, too. Most of them offer free trials you can use to test them out before you buy one.

a class 4 card should be plenty fine. 1080p records at a data rate of 15Mbit/sec, while the card is capable of 32Mbit/sec data rate. I would try a better program before buying a new card. It's possible you've got a bad card - it happens, but I'd want to be sure that's the problem before buying a new one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ^Agreed. Video Editing/graphic design are very hardware intensive. I thought my laptop did the job, until I built my computer last year. boy did it run flawlessly. Anyways, natehawk is spot on!

mtbr member
    sounds like your doing it the hard way. Download a decent editing program and get a decent computer an good to go. I've never had any problems with my video on my go pro, I recently started using the Powerdirector 9 ultra on my 3 year old dell latitude 830 running windows xp pro an it does it just fine. Rendering a 4 min. video take about 40 mins.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp