Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: RIP Contour

  1. #1
    workin' it Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,104

    RIP Contour

    Contour Closes Doors, Turns out Employees

    guess that really only leaves GoPro but what other options are there?
    Try this: HTFU

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    209
    I'm sad... I have a +2 since january and it is good, but the lack of support (updates) and accessoires were disturbing. Guess I won't get them any time in the future. Should have bought a gopro... (only because of support) Marketshare is so critical, smaller industries struggle to make profit. But contour had +$27m I think so they wanted to get out without loss.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    163
    well that sucks!

    i really like their product and was looking forward to the replacement to the contour+2.

    hope someone picks up the contour brand...

    joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

  4. #4
    see me rollin, they hatin
    Reputation: NicoleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,401
    gah. i just bought one on killer sale, but now i fear i'll have trouble getting accessories. there is a plastic piece that likes to break near the mounting track. mine hasnt broken there, but others have. i'd hate to have to buy a new camera because of that.
    fap

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    I'm going to grab up another ROAM because I think they're better than GoPro because of how you can mount them. I realize I'll be on my own as far as warranty goes, but the one I've had for a year and a half now and it's been pretty bulletproof. And with the ability to update to ROAM2 configuration, getting another for a hundred bucks is a no brainer.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    Wow, I've been reading some of Marc Barros' blogs and I think I know at least one reason why they closed up shop.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  7. #7
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    22,088
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Wow, I've been reading some of Marc Barros' blogs and I think I know at least one reason why they closed up shop.
    Share it with us please!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    163

    RIP Contour

    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I'm going to grab up another ROAM because I think they're better than GoPro because of how you can mount them. I realize I'll be on my own as far as warranty goes, but the one I've had for a year and a half now and it's been pretty bulletproof. And with the ability to update to ROAM2 configuration, getting another for a hundred bucks is a no brainer.
    i was really looking forward to the replacement of the +2.

    i would like the cool features of the +2, but like you say, for about a $100 i can get another ROAM and update its firmware to the ROAM2.

    joel


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ccaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,714
    Where do you get one for $100 :-0 ???

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Where do you get one for $100 :-0 ???
    amazon.com

    i bought directly from amazon for $105 not including tax.

    i also bought a 32gb microSD card.

    this is my second camera the first one i bought was about $112 before tax.

    there is a vendor on amazon that is selling for about $103 right now.

    joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Share it with us please!
    You can read some of the blog posts yourself and see what you come up with. One Entrepreneur's Perspective

    Quote Originally Posted by JAvendan View Post
    amazon.com

    i bought directly from amazon for $105 not including tax.

    i also bought a 32gb microSD card.

    this is my second camera the first one i bought was about $112 before tax.

    there is a vendor on amazon that is selling for about $103 right now.

    joel
    Just ordered mine. $102.00 including the watersports kit (surfboard kit, underwater case). If you're a Prime member, no shipping.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    163

    RIP Contour

    [QUOTE=skiahh;10592928
    Just ordered mine. $102.00 including the watersports kit (surfboard kit, underwater case). If you're a Prime member, no shipping.[/QUOTE]


    yes, that's the one!!

    $102 $103... pOtato patato - lol.

    i decided to spend the extra $ and buy direct from amazon... makes me feel better

    joel

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ltdan12a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    135
    Meh.... Could have been a little more classy about it with regards to their employees... Could you imagine showing up at work to find the doors locked and the lights off? How about all those people with cameras in for repair? Nobody is saying anything right now....

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Contour Closes Doors, Turns out Employees

    guess that really only leaves GoPro but what other options are there?
    https://isawusa.com - More like the GoPro than the contour.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    Quote Originally Posted by NeOhMb View Post
    https://isawusa.com - More like the GoPro than the contour.
    Am, no. If you're a Contour fan you're not going to get a GoPro clone. Why would you do that when you could just get the original?

    No, I think our (i.e. Contour fans) only choice now is the Drift Ghost. Drift HD Ghost | Drift Action Cameras Still has the rotatable lens and increasing mount options.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  16. #16
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,027

    RIP Contour

    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB View Post
    gah. i just bought one on killer sale, but now i fear i'll have trouble getting accessories. there is a plastic piece that likes to break near the mounting track. mine hasnt broken there, but others have. i'd hate to have to buy a new camera because of that.
    I have four Contours and no rail breakage. Even if it did, first, the other side would still work, second, the Newer models have the universal tripod mount thread in the bottom.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  17. #17
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,027

    RIP Contour

    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Am, no. If you're a Contour fan you're not going to get a GoPro clone. Why would you do that when you could just get the original?

    No, I think our (i.e. Contour fans) only choice now is the Drift Ghost. Drift HD Ghost | Drift Action Cameras Still has the rotatable lens and increasing mount options.
    Yup, I would be buying a few Roams right now if I had the spare cash.

    I also have an older Drift. Good camera, but I was not able to justify the higher cost for the latest models compared to the Roam.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    Agreed. If I had more disposable income right now, I'd probably order another 2 to go with the 2 I have.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,523
    sorry to hear this,,, i to was a huge contour fan, and have 2 of the older models my self, (720 and 1080) not only am i a contour fan, but i am lucky enough to know some of their staff and have stayed with and ridden with them a few times in whistler, they are a great bunch of people, superfriendly and very helpfull, they deserve better than this. hopefully contour will do as raceface did and rise from the ashes to come back bigger stronger and better than before, and hopefully all the staff can get their jobs back,

  20. #20
    Ride More, Whine Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,990
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    You can read some of the blog posts yourself and see what you come up with. One Entrepreneur's Perspective
    I quickly skimmed this blog. Very interesting thoughts.

  21. #21
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,176
    His blog teaches more than all of MBA school.

    Well there are still choices...

    For years it was helmetbulletcam (something like that) and vio.

    I have not been impressed with the reviews of any of these cams and although I love Contour I will say the slide switches, "retaining strap", flex mount, and vent mount were all TERRIBLE almost to the point of being useless.

    Will wait until my Roam quits and then see what's out there.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    His blog teaches more than all of MBA school.
    Really? I'm surprised coming from the Army you'd get that. Reading the blogs, with the overwhelming sense of defeatism and utter lack of anything resembling leadership, I can see why things went the way they did.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    I have not been impressed with the reviews of any of these cams and although I love Contour I will say the slide switches, "retaining strap", flex mount, and vent mount were all TERRIBLE almost to the point of being useless.

    Will wait until my Roam quits and then see what's out there.
    I love the slide switch. One quick on/off motion I can do while moving and not having to pay attention. My flex mounts have been perfect where I have mine mounted. The vent mount works, but I don't like the helmet viewpoint all that much any more. What's the retaining strap?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  23. #23
    North Van/Whistler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,535
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Really? I'm surprised coming from the Army you'd get that. Reading the blogs, with the overwhelming sense of defeatism and utter lack of anything resembling leadership, I can see why things went the way they did.
    The way Barros ran Contour and the way he utterly rolls over and accepts aching kicks in the balls again and again show me that he is utterly incapable of building a company. In short i agree
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

  24. #24
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,176
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    ...... What's the retaining strap?
    The safety cord ---forget what its nomenclature is.

  25. #25
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Reputation: ArmySlowRdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,176
    I did not get anything close to that as the take away.


    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    ..... Reading the blogs, with the overwhelming sense of defeatism and utter lack of anything resembling leadership,.....


    ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Turn your Contour Roam into a Contour Roam 2.
    By Krunk_Kracker in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 154
    Last Post: 08-02-2014, 02:35 AM
  2. Contour HD First Try
    By lanceuppercut in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-13-2011, 12:40 PM
  3. Contour HD First Try
    By NastyNick in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 08:55 PM
  4. Go Pro or Contour HD ??
    By ccaddy in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 01:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •