Trail Cubist

Replay XD1080: The New Standard

I just found out about the Replay XD 1080 camera...and all I've got to say is that it is MUCH better than the GoPro! Why? The single biggest reason is LESS DISTORTION. I've griped various places about the ridiculous spherical distortion of the GoPro cameras. Sorry, but when I'm riding through the woods in real life, the trees don't bend in toward me like I was on LSD. *:facepalm:

Here are a couple of screenshots comparing the distortion of the Replay vs. GoPro...

And here's a sample video...it's motorcycling (not mountain biking)...but notice how little distortion is present.

When it comes to field of view and distortion, more distortion (wider FOV) actually straightens out twisty roads/trails and reduces the sense of speed.

Considering the cost of a ReplayXD1080 is LESS than a GoPro HD...I'd say the decision is a no-brainer. And Reply is smaller, lighter, and easier to mount in a variety of places.

I'm getting one!
    Scott

PS - No, I don't work for Replay XD. I've just been irritated with the GoPro "Bubble View" of the world (and baffled at why nobody seems bothered by it)...so when I saw an action cam manufacturer that actually didn't fall for the "ultra-mega-super-uber-wide-angle" trap, I said "Hooray!"
    Last edited by SWriverstone; 09-30-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

No, that's not phonetic
    Your link is broken.

That camera looks pretty interesting indeed.

Trail Cubist
    Thanks---fixed the link.

Regarding ease of operation, their website says...
    Simple, two-button ON/OFF and Start/Stop make the Replay XD1080 camera easy to operate. Simply turn it ON and Press Record to Start. The built-in LED & Vibration Feedback tell you that you’re ready to go.
    So I'm guessing this is a LOT easier to operate (even with gloves on) than the GoPro.

I like aspects of the GoPro's design. And the ReplayXD is NOT 100% waterproof (just water resistant). And the GoPro still offers the clipon LCD, which is really nice (except when I tried using it, I was pi$$ed-off that they didn't include some way to actually REVIEW your footage on the LCD---WTF? )

But for me the field-of-view is the dealbreaker for the GoPro. I once emailed them about it (this was a couple years ago) asking them why they don't offer interchangeable lenses, so you can have a narrower field-of-view if you want it. Their response? "Nobody wants a narrower field of view. Everyone loves the super-wide-angle." (Well, the masses aren't exactly known for intelligent decisions...)

Sometimes the GoPro's ultra-mega-hyper-uber FOV is good---I certainly can't find fault with your Turner DW 5 Spot example, tscheezy. But for capturing twisty roads on a motorcycle or twisty trails on mountain bike, I think the 170-degree FOV is way too wide.

GoPro makes piles of other accessories for their cameras---how hard could it be to develop an interchangeable lens? In one stroke, they could instantly be way ahead of the competition...but they seem to lack vision in that area...

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

mtbr member
    In looking a t the site, says it records in: H.264 Codec, Quicktime .mov file type.
    Been a while since I've messed with video. Is this 2 separate file types, or is it just .mov (using h.264)?

Also, what are you using for a helmet mount? Is it a adhesive type mount?
    How is the low light recording?

Trail Cubist
    I don't actually have one of these yet (but am planning to buy one soon). Regarding the video format, it's just one: H.264 is the compression codec, and Quicktime/MOV is just the "wrapper" around that codec.

As some already know, working with .mov files can sometimes be a pain on a PC (it's a native format on the Mac so no problems there). If you have a new, fast system running the latest version of Premiere Pro, Vegas and other editing apps, you should be able to edit H.264 .mov files no problem.

Scott

No, that's not phonetic
    But the GoPro offers the same 135 deg FOV as the Replay if you shoot in 1080p (R5) mode. Only the lower res settings (R2-R4) use the 170 deg FOV on the GoPro. The barrel distortion is still there in R5 though, albeit less pronounced.

The file type is probably just like the GoPro: it's a .mov Quicktime file that uses H.264 compression. It's one file, and really pretty common.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Apr 2011

Contour GPS

Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone View Post
    ....and all I've got to say is that it is MUCH better than the GoPro! Why? The single biggest reason is LESS DISTORTION...

When it comes to field of view and distortion, more distortion (wider FOV) actually straightens out twisty roads/trails and reduces the sense of speed.
    This is nothing new - Contour ran 135 degree lenses in their cameras for years and they are still available in the Contour GPS.

The advantage of a 170 degree field of view is that it makes the video look smoother (and get's more peripheral action in the shot). The trade of is that things look a bit further away and the twists and turns don't seem as sharp. Personally I think the smoother video you get from a 170 degree lens outweighs the other disadvantages, especially for mountain biking where things get pretty rough.

The top 3 manufacturers (GoPro, Contour and Drift) now all make their cameras with 170 degree lenses. I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of people prefer this view, myself included, but I guess some people will want the narrow field of view...... which you can still achieve with the big 3. Put them in the 1080p mode and your field of view comes down to about 130 degrees.
    Matt Fitzhardinge
    Launch Helmet Cams
    We'll beat any online price for mtbr.com members!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I can't find any reviews for the camera. Hot Rod magazine had one but their review was very weird. Their video review would say one t hing, their print review would say the opposite.

Trail Cubist
    I think the Replay HD is pretty new (hence the lack of reviews). And who knows? They might not be able to crack the "Microsoft of helmet cams," aka GoPro.

I know much of this is subjective and highly dependent on use and conditions...but I've never heard great things about the Contour cameras, and the Replay is considerably smaller.

Regarding the GoPro's 130-degree FOV at 1080p...it seems almost nobody uses that, preferring the mega-ultra-see-behind-your-back mode.

Yes...the ultra-wide FOV does smooth things out somewhat, but IMO the drug-induced quality of severe spherical distortion isn't made up for by the smoother shot.

I also realize most people don't care about quality---they just want some rough reproduction of their ride---which is fine.

I'm still looking for a helmet cam that accurately reproduces what I'm seeing with my own eyes while riding...and sadly that's not here yet...

Scott

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm tempted to get the replay because of size, 720p at 60fps and their sun visor clip. But the cam is 299 and the adapters are all $$$$! Like 80$ or so for the handle bar adapter.

Would have gone for the new ContourRoam myself but the lack of 60fps killed it for me.

Gopro is 3 years old and due for a revision any day now and I don't think I can wait.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone View Post
    Simple, two-button ON/OFF and Start/Stop make the Replay XD1080 camera easy to operate. Simply turn it ON and Press Record to Start. The built-in LED & Vibration Feedback tell you that you’re ready to go.
    So I'm guessing this is a LOT easier to operate (even with gloves on) than the GoPro.
    That's exactly what the GoPro has, two buttons, and I never take my gloves off. The only issue I have is forgetting to turn it on or off...

And I love the 170º FoV. I run mine in 720p at 60 fps BECAUSE I get 170º.