mtbr member
    Aug 2009

REI $239.99 GoPro Helmet Hero HD

In case people are looking for a deal from a reputable dealer: http://www.rei.com/product/794062/go...e-angle-camera

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Impulse buy. I picked one up along with a bunch of other stuff at REI's sale. Time to sift through this thread and get some pointers.

Unfortunately, I am a mediocre weekend warrior and I'm sure no one will be impressed/entertained by my MTB videos unless I crash something fierce!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I know right. Only a very close circle of acquaintances look at mine and I have a feeling they don't watch all the way thru..haha

Quote Originally Posted by nevermiss
    Impulse buy. I picked one up along with a bunch of other stuff at REI's sale. Time to sift through this thread and get some pointers.

Unfortunately, I am a mediocre weekend warrior and I'm sure no one will be impressed/entertained by my MTB videos unless I crash something fierce!

Trail Ninja
    Almost all stores have it for $240 now. I think GoPro is coming out with something new to warrant this sale. You can get the motorsports version (suction cup mount) cheaper at overstock.com with a 20% coupon code 206777, which makes it 195 shipped (48 off + 2 SH).

Personally, I'm upgrading to the Drift HD170 Stealth with extra lith battery for $250 + 8 SH -- deal thread: Drift HD170 Stealth POV Cam + extra lith batt $250 + $8 SH (ends Mon May 23 noon EST). GoPro's low light performance is terribly poor and the mounts have a tendency to break (search "broken go pro").

My advice for videos... they can be used for review, if you want to see areas you can improve or see your technique (give your buddy the camera to film). Or if you want to venture into going public, basically, think who your audience is and edit in what they want to see and not just glorify whatever subject. Also, get lots of mounts. I recommend the tripod mount adapter and a gorillapod (copy-cat version would work fine). Watching a ride from a single camera angle (chest mount) makes for a rather boring video unless you're Brian Lopes and really riding hard through Whistler's A-line or something.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    Almost all stores have it for $240 now. I think GoPro is coming out with something new to warrant this sale. You can get the motorsports version (suction cup mount) cheaper at overstock.com with a 20% coupon code 206777, which makes it 195 shipped (48 off + 2 SH).

Personally, I'm upgrading to the Drift HD170 Stealth with extra lith battery for $250 + 8 SH -- deal thread: Drift HD170 Stealth POV Cam + extra lith batt $250 + $8 SH (ends Mon May 23 noon EST). GoPro's low light performance is terribly poor and the mounts have a tendency to break (search "broken go pro").

My advice for videos... they can be used for review, if you want to see areas you can improve or see your technique (give your buddy the camera to film). Or if you want to venture into going public, basically, think who your audience is and edit in what they want to see and not just glorify whatever subject. Also, get lots of mounts. I recommend the tripod mount adapter and a gorillapod (copy-cat version would work fine). Watching a ride from a single camera angle (chest mount) makes for a rather boring video unless you're Brian Lopes and really riding hard through Whistler's A-line or something.
    Thanks for the great post. I should have done more research before my impulse buy

I'll see how much I used the GoPro and decide if I want to purchase teh DriftHD170 later or wait and see what GoPro and Contour have coming out in the next 6-12 months. I do like the waterproof case that comes with the GoPro. I see us having some fun with this at the lake for tubing, skiing, and wakeboarding this summer.