Custom User Title

Rear view angles and whatnot

So I have an idea for what I want to do with my Contour Roam. I want to mount it so my camera faces backwards so Im getting a video of the trail leaving as Im riding. I made a test run of it earlier and I was wondering if there was any advice on placement or angle or whatever to get the neatest view. Should I move the camera further up/down the chainstay, or possibly place it elsewhere? As it was right where it was I was getting occasional strikes with my foot, but It still has fine tuning to do.

Slightly faster than a speeding snail.

newb
    Jun 2013
    This angle is cool for a couple shots but not for an entire edit. It creates a tunnel vision effect that can be hard to watch for a long period of time. That being said, mounting at a higher angle will lessen the negative effect.

Custom User Title
    I never thought about the tunnel vision thing. It would only be for a few shots anyway, pick and pull whatever I need from the video for a different view. Any other locations on the frame that would make for an interesting view?
    Slightly faster than a speeding snail.

newb
    Jun 2013
    Should be good for a couple shots. That same general position, but facing the rider is one of my favorites.

Last edited by stylEmon; 08-05-2013 at 01:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Rear view works OK, when camera is attached to seat tube and you stay seated all the. It doesn't look that good, if you just watch trail behind you, but when friends following you, you get good view of them.

Attach camera low in case you want to make an illusion that somebody is following you. Low mount catches your rear tire. High mount doesn't show tire and thus captures more clear view of followers. I think high mount is better for longer shots.

mtbr member
    I agree, it is a cool view, I've used it though on my chainstay. I use a small little keychain camera so I can move it to all kinds of places.

Here's a little experiment I did. The rear shot comes around 54 seconds in .

Last edited by gmats; 08-15-2013 at 07:12 PM.