Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    VP/ Terrain Designer

Radio Controled Zipline Dolly

So after spending some time at the computer, and in the machine shop. I have finally finished prototype #1 of my R/C zipline dolly. It uses a brushless motor and LiPo battery system. As it sits, it can easily reach 35mph. After doing more R&D, we have definately found some things that need to be improved and fixed.

This is just a few quick clips of Christian Wright, Sam Dueck, and Carson Storch warming up for "Best Trick" at the UpsideDown UnderGround Jump Jam at Jamie Goldmans house.

R/C Zipline GoPro Tests on pinkbike.com

Last edited by NastyNick; 04-30-2011 at 09:36 PM.
    Braun Enterprises LLC, Building Cool Stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That looks really great
    Wish i had that much time too... Actually i do

No, that's not phonetic
    That's some fantabulous work there. I am looking forward to seeing some footage from that, and also some video from someone looking at that shuttle working (not footage from the shuttle, but rather video OF the shuttle).

I need to really work on my dremel skills to match that contraption.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    That is really nice work!

Will the (speed) controller be handle-bar mounted?

What? No gyro....booo

ps. Do you have plans to sell these in kit form once perfected?

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaveOn
    That is really nice work!

Will the (speed) controller be handle-bar mounted?

What? No gyro....booo

ps. Do you have plans to sell these in kit form once perfected?
    LOL! Yeah the next revision will have a gyro on it, plus pan/tilt; we're also working on wireless video transmitter. Video coming up.
    This is just a few quick clips of Christian Wright, Sam Dueck, and Carson Storch warming up for "Best Trick" at the UpsideDown UnderGround Jump Jam at Jamie Goldmans house.

R/C Zipline GoPro Tests on pinkbike.com

Yes, that's fonetic
    Dayum. Where does Jamie Goldman live??? Over the top job on the dolly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    very elegant design!!

I hope you're going to include some sort of charging system to take advantage of the free energy on the drop down the zip line!! add that and you'll be able to run that thing all day long!

only other thing i would chang is to make the 2 main pulleys fully captive, as it stands now, all the stress is ion one side of the 2 main axles

Haha ignore me, just realized you weren't building a zip line dolly but a video camera platform!

VP/ Terrain Designer
    So here are a couple more pics and vids.

R/C GoPro Dolly Movin' on pinkbike.com

A little longer edit.

UDUG 2011, "Best Trick Warm-Up" on pinkbike.com

mtbr member
    Looks Great, I am planning something similar, how would you do the wireless video transmitter? Really wana know?

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterWest
    Looks Great, I am planning something similar, how would you do the wireless video transmitter? Really wana know?
    I cannot tell you how to do wireless video. I have allready released a little too much info on this thing. I guess you'll have to wait and buy one. I'm not trying to be a dick; just trying to protect my intelectual properties. I hope you understand. Thanks for your interest.

mtbr member
    Its chilled bru, want to use a wireless video transmitter for a rc helicopter mounted camera

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Its chilled bru, want to use a wireless video transmitter for a rc helicopter mounted camera
    Oh gotcha. There are allready some wireless video units for large rc helis. Rediculously expensive though. We are shooting for simplicity, and ease of use. We dont want a product that requires months of training, to use it properly. R/C helis+wireless video= 10 channels of radio control. Now ya need 2 people to run the system; and know what they're doing.

mtbr member
    So its not as simple as the pilot seeing where he goes on the laptop screen? Do you have any tips for this project, or somewhere were we could get the information necessary to do this?

VP/ Terrain Designer
    No, thats completely possible. The limiting factor is $$$. You could spend 20,000 on a crazy high tech heads up display system; and another 25,000 on the camera and pan/tilt/focus/zoom carrier. Here are some links
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/dedicam...pery-2010.html

Pivotal figure
    Very nice setup, did you have to machine the drive wheels or were you able to find some off the shelf parts? I like that you can get such high speed out of it, definitely gonna have to modify my rig...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Very nice setup, did you have to machine the drive wheels or were you able to find some off the shelf parts? I like that you can get such high speed out of it, definitely gonna have to modify my rig...
    100% custom fabbed. We are changing the drive system to something more reliable, solid, and simple.

Picture Unrelated
    So its not as simple as the pilot seeing where he goes on the laptop screen? Do you have any tips for this project, or somewhere were we could get the information necessary to do this?
    Not sure how crazy you want to get but here's a link to the FPV (first person video) section of RCgroups.com. I've had an insane desire to build an FPV quadcopter somewhere down the line. There's a lot of great information over on that site or you could probably search fpv/rpv for more information.

Sick dolly, btw.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Let There Be Dirt

$$$?

Are you looking for investors for your zipline dolly?

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    That is awesome!

Idea for future:
    Not sure if you noticed but once you put the pan/tilt and Gyro on to it and then through in some wind, the video camera will start swinging side to side....

If you duplicated the Pully system above or below on a second zipline the you could add vertical tension to help limit the side to side swing.
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Yes, we are aware of this. Thats what the gyro is for. A dual line setup is only slighty more stable that a single line and a gyro. We are looking for simplicity, ease of trasportation and setup. Currently I can fit everything I need to set it up; into my hydration pack.

mtbr member
    are you building this with the hopes of selling it to the general public? or is it for personal use only? Either way it's awesome and I wish I had one

VP/ Terrain Designer
    Yes to both. We plan on having 2 models. A POV cam specific, and a DSLR specific. The DSLR model will have the addition of a pan/tilt/roll mounting system, and possibly some kind of wireless video downlink or FPV(First Person View) system.

mtbr member
    Sweet setup!
    Just erase the cord in post-prod

mtbr member
    FYI, I know a guy who has a set up 'similar". He uses a 900mh transmitter to broadcast the video to an lcd screen so he can see what's going on at all times. I got a hack to allow live transmission of video from the video port of the gopro, and sends that signal to the transmitter. Very cool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That is awesome!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast