WNC Native

Question about GoPro Wide Video Upload quality issues

So far I REALLY like my GoPro Wide camera! At first I couldn't find a format to save it in Windows Movie Maker that didn't downgrade the quality. Then I found where I needed to download Windows Media Encoder and make a custom profile to resave the WMM project into a movie file with the same size & setting as the actual original video file. So I was very happy that I wasn't loosing quality there.
    Next I was told that Vimeo.com was one of the better hosting sites. However every video I load is nowhere near the same quality after it is uploaded. Is there any tricks to uploading so the video doesn't loose quality. Is there a difference in uploaded quality between the vimeo basic account and the pro account?

It is a big let down to have a camera that takes nice videos, but only being able to share blurry crappy quality videos. Below are 2 samples of what my uploaded videos look like.

FATS Upper Skinny Trail Part 2 from nitrousjunky on Vimeo.

This is a section of the Upper Skinny connector trail at Forks Area Trail System (Going from Brown Wave back to the parking area).

FATS Upper Skinny Trail Part 1 from nitrousjunky on Vimeo.

Upper Skinny Trail in Forks Area Trail System (Going toward Brown Wave Trail).

Last edited by nitrousjunky; 04-06-2010 at 04:11 AM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    What are your settings to render your file? Are you following the recommended settings from Vimeo re HD uploads? Sorry to ask such obvious questions but there's not enough information in your question

You're right, your video quality is off. It's very pixelated which shouldn't be the case for such a big file. I have uploaded smaller files without the artifacts and pixelation you're experiencing
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

WNC Native
    Settings are as follows to the best of my memory (I'm at work, not home):
    Size- 512x384
    30 fps
    5000K bit rate
    video quality setting of 90 (i think).

I do not have the GoPro HD, this is just the GoPro Wide.

The video file looks good when played with Windows Media Player (same quality as the original clips played in windows movie maker), the quality just isn't there after uploading though.

Tool
    What codec are you using?

I've had the best luck with the Xvid codec - good balance between file size and quality, and no detectable degradation in quality when uploaded to Vimeo or YouTube.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile
    What codec are you using?

I've had the best luck with the Xvid codec - good balance between file size and quality, and no detectable degradation in quality when uploaded to Vimeo or YouTube.

-Pete
    I'm saving my WMM project into a movie file through a custom profile setup in windows media encoder (with setting adjusted to match the actual original camera file settings).

Sorry, I'm a newbie at this video stuff. So I'm assuming the windows media encoder is what your referring to as a codec.??
    Are you suggesting compressing the file before uploading??
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    I'm saving my WMM project into a movie file through a custom profile setup in windows media encoder (with setting adjusted to match the actual original camera file settings).

Sorry, I'm a newbie at this video stuff. So I'm assuming the windows media encoder is what your referring to as a codec.??
    Are you suggesting compressing the file before uploading??
    Yes, the windows medial encoder in this case would be a codec (short for code/decode - in other words, compression algorythm).

Nope - you don't want to compress again before uploading (WMM is already compressing via the codec when you create your finished movie).

Sorry, I don't have any experience specifically with WMM. I don't have access to Vimeo from where I am, and don't recalll whether they are independent of codecs or not. The info I offered is simply a configuration that is working, so it could serve as a potential starting point if nothing else. You would likely need to download the Xvid codec if you wanted to try it - it may not change a thing, but it fairly easy to try (just google 'xvid codec' - there are many download sites available).

-Pete

WNC Native
    Thanks Pete,
    I will download it and try it, it would be nice if it worked. Any specific settings you are using with the Xvid?

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    Thanks Pete,
    I will download it and try it, it would be nice if it worked. Any specific settings you are using with the Xvid?
    I use the Xvid codec defaults. While I use a different video editor than you (free version of VideoPad), I suspect the defaults are driven by the codec and not the editor. That's a long way of saying I'd start with whatever defaults it has in WMM and see what happens.

-Pete

WNC Native
    Any other ideas??