Singletrack +1

Protune: What is it and do i NEED it?

So im not completely confident in what exactly ProTune "is". If im only using the GoPro, and not integrating other video from multiple sources, do i need to have it turned on? I've been using it, shooting in 1080p 30 fps and its got AMAZING footage. When I hit the higher speed trails, I'd like to run 720p @60fps to cut down on the choppiness and run more slow-mo. BUT do I need protune for any of this? What exactly is it tuning, and when using a video editor like iMovie '11 or final cut, is it necessary at all? Thanks in advance for clearing up my lack of understanding. I searched for a while, and continually got press release statements and "wow thats cool". But i dont understand technical jargon.
    1x9 Hardtail, yummy.....

re member
    "Protune is a suite of features designed to enhance an even more professional image capture from your GoPro, while still being accessible to every GoPro user. Protune has the strongest emphasis on image quality by increasing the data-rate (decreasing compression) from an average of 15Mb/s to 35Mb/s. Small artifacts that can occur in detailed scenes or extreme motion are gone at 35Mb/s. Next is adding the 24p frame rate (to the existing frame rate options), greatly easing the combination of GoPro footage with other 24p cameras, common to professional markets. Finally the Protune image is"......

from here

(article is about GoPro 2, but I'm sure it's the same thing with GoPro 3)
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

Ride More, Whine Less
    I, too, have looked for some information on protune in the new black edition. I didnt find much so i did some experimentation.

I've tried videos with the setting on and off. I'm not sure if I like it on. The colors seem off. But, I suppose the greater amount of data in the file will allow much more detailed post processing. The video does look smoother when you review the raw footage with protune on. Once you send it to YouTube, it may not matter that much.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Protune will allow you to capture much better video but it requires more work.

• Protune captures at a much higher data rate
    • Protune captures using a flat profile which means less artifacts after color grading
    • there is no in-camera sharpening or noise reduction. Again, less artifacts when color grading

The reason that most of the Protune videos look like crap is because folks aren't color grading, sharpening, or applying any kind of noise reduction in post.

Downsides to using Protune:

• Larger file sizes
    • shorter battery times
    • more work in post

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    With ProTune ON, you have more adjustability with Color Correction.
    Turn it ON and learn about color correcting it with Magic Bullet LUT Buddy or using Cinestyle effects. You can really do some good stuff to your footage.
    Or using Looks from Magic Bullet. Try some of their stuff.
    Plus like the users said above, it gives it a big bump in bitrate. 45Mbps to be exact. Up from the 25Mbps. Less compression and artifacts when doing high speed stuff or scene changes from light changes, etc.
    It eats up more batteries and disk space though. Get some of the Wasabi batteries, two extra batteries and a charger for $25 or so. Worth it. Ebay/Amazon have them.