mtbr member
    Apr 2014

POV Camera Shootout

First post. I thought this would be useful for anyone looking into a POV camera: The Best Action Camera: Spring 2014 Edition

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I own the garmin virb elite and the sony as100v (like the 30 but has GPS) and agree with much of what they say. Audio is lousy on the garmin, but I usually turn the audio off anyways. Image is sharp, and I love having the telemetrics to implant in the video. The Sony has the best audio I have experienced from an action cam. If I were going Zip lining I would grab this over the garmin. Indeed, I find it captures audio so well, I also use it on the bike as it captures that wonderful buzz of my I-9 hubs. When recording in XAVC mode I find the image quality to be on par with the garmin, and the anti shake to be superior---but, the lens correction on the gramin works very well--always trade offs, that is why I have 2 different cams.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    watched it,.. thought the Garmin was the best.. sound is about the only thing it fell short on.. and I have yet to see an MTB vid that the sound was worth keeping.. just annoying clicks and such.. the place I find the GoPro lacking it shape and usability.. it's to big and blocky to use in 3/4's of the places all the other "bullet" shaped ones will work... But the chest mount is bay far one of my favorite locations/views when done right.. helmet being about the worst.. just looses all the depth perception and terrain effects...

like he said thou.. they are all decent and are a BLAST to play with... not one is out right bad..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I went from a contour roam2 to a gopro3+ silver and loving the camara.
    great quality for POV shots and until now its been really strong taking some DH wipeouts.....

mtbr member
    While the GoPro's image is the best, I think all the upload sites pretty much neutralize that advantage to a large degree. For me, then, the versatility of my Contours still trumps the slight advantage in image quality. As an example, when riding with my daughter, I was able to lay my bike down facing up the trail, rotate the Contour's lens to upright (mounted to my headtube) and get upright video of her first attempt at a rocky climb. Then picked up my bike, rotated the lens back and off I went. I can accept the slightly lower IQ for versatility like that!

I really dislike the chesty perspective - the wide FOV makes the riders arms look like ET's! But that's just me.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    I ride with a Liquid Image Ego and the video quality is pretty good. The only thing is the auto zooming issues and it gives you a fisheye effect for few seconds while it zooms. The color is vibrant and is on par with a GoPro 3. I bought it because it was $150 and had good reviews so it was worth a shot. It hasn't disappointed yet, but I would still go with my Contour Roam.

LIC Ego