Thread: POV Camera Help

mtbr member

POV Camera Help

I'm looking to buy my first POV camera to record my mountain biking. I don't really want to spend more than $200 though. I was looking at the GoPro Hero 3 - White Edition, Contour Roam 2, and Sony Action Cam HDR-AS10/B. I like how the Sony cam has a stabilizing feature because I don't want any extremely shaky videos. The Contour Roam 2 looks super simple to use. I'm not too concerned about picture quality, because they all do 1080p at 30fps and 720p at 60fps, but I think the Sony cam doesn't do audio with 720p at 60fps...I'm still trying to decide on which one to purchase. Does anyone have any of these cameras, or maybe have a different camera to suggest?

-Thanks!
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    I spent $320 for a Hero 2 in July, and now they have a Hero 3 for 200 bucks and it has wifi?

mtbr member
    I've got the Contour ROAM and really like it for a number of reasons. First - and a major point for me - is the rotatable lens. That enables me to mount the camera virtually anywhere, at any angle and still be able to shoot upright video. That's a big deal for me.

The simplicity of the ROAM is a nice feature. Slide the switch and you're recording, slide it back and you're not.

Compactness and "sleekness" is also a big deal for me. It doesn't stick out like the GoPro does, whether on top of your helmet, on the side of your helmet or mounted to something else. You can lay it on its side on the top of the helmet, for example, and it doesn't stick way up, waiting to grab a branch.

Biggest downside? A non-replaceable battery. That means that on a long multi-day trip, for example, you'll need a way to recharge to keep using it since you can't bring a bunch of batteries.

It also has limited adjustments (that require a computer to adjust), but that's also a good thing, since you're not tempted to mess with it!

GoPro will have slightly better video. Well, OK, the Black and Silver will have much better. White will be slightly better, though I'm very happy with the video quality of mine. I do hope Contour can step up and squeeze a better sensor into the barrel, though... I don't want to give up the rotating capability!

Video from my ROAM here: Ute Valley Ride - YouTube if you want to look. Camera is mounted alongside the headtube of my bike and, with the Lefty, I get an unobstructed view forward. It didn't work that way with a regular fork.

I've got some from my helmet mount and the frame mount. I love the wide open view of the helmet mount, but the videos just aren't as stable, so the frame mount wins. The Sony's stabilization might fix that, but it doesn't have the rotatable lens and sticks out like the GoPro, for what that's worth.

When I get another cam, it'll most likely be another Contour... but I do have to say the Hero 3 Black takes some stunning quality video, so there is a possibility of that.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    dont bother with the sony camera.. the reviews i have seen dont rate it very well for biking. there arent many mounts available, and the mic is coverd cause of the waterproof casing. search on here for the review.

i would go between contour or go pro. my self am a contour user, had a bad experiance years back with goslow bought one of the original hero cams and it broke after 6 weeks, so i purchsed a contour and never looked back, the guys at contour are great and their customer care/warranty is awesome to.
    i have to say though the new hero 3 does look good. and i could be tempted, but i dont really need anymore helmet cams lol. considering we have contour hd, contour hd 1080. vio pov 1.5 and vio pov hd. ha ha,
    only you know what your need are for the camera, buy which ever one suits them needs best.

sore member
    Drift Innovation HD. Does 1080p @30/24fps, 720p @ 60/30/24fps. Comes with video preview screen & remote control. Replaceable Li-ion battery. Lens is rotatable. Standard camera mount. Water resistant. Can be had on Ebay for around $200-$250. New "Ghost" version was just introduced this month, so expect price of older version to drop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NFLcheesehead1 View Post
    I'm not too concerned about picture quality, because they all do 1080p at 30fps and 720p at 60fps,...
    Same resolution/frame rate doesn't mean same image quality. I recommend comparing videos shot with each camera to see which one looks best to you.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalDangit View Post
    Same resolution/frame rate doesn't mean same image quality. I recommend comparing videos shot with each camera to see which one looks best to you.
    Yep, just like the megapixel fixation with still cameras, there is no inherent link between quantity and quality.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    You can go to youtube and search "compare gopro" and see a bunch of comparisons of image quality for old and new gopros and the competition.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've carryed a sonyhandycam in a backpack with a helmetcam.com camera for hundereds of miles...these all are very nice choices to use nowdays...I didnt like the fisheye lens of the gopro I had....wasnt sure whats up with that...I reall like my countour...easy to use and take great video....soemthing also to think about when helmet mounting...teh camera (all of them...some worse than others) will catch leaves and twigs...soemtimes grabbing your helmet...adn if/when you do fall, the dynamics of the helmet are different with an appendage attached....this can make you hit/roll in a...umm...unnatural way.
    good luck...I have alot of very cool video from the last 9 or so years with mine...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I don't know about others but, is that only me who thinks that GoPro looks totally stupid mounted on side of the helmet? Other side of this problem are low branches hanging where I rode... I'm constantly beaten on my helmet by those branches... So I will vote for Countour.

mtbr member
    I vote Contour....customer service is amazing.

The Roam2 was on Amazon for $179 for black.
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpledesign View Post
    I vote Contour....customer service is amazing.

The Roam2 was on Amazon for $179 for black.
    I'm holding out for another $89 flash sale for them!! I should have bought 2 or 3 last year; this year - if they do it again - I will!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    I'm holding out for another $89 flash sale for them!! I should have bought 2 or 3 last year; this year - if they do it again - I will!

and you can promptly PM me when they have that sale as well!
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    I use a Drift Innovation HD 720 and its great for what I use it for. The great thing about it is the ability to preview videos. An LCD option would cost you around $80.00 for a GoPro. I'm not getting 1080 on mine, but for posting vids online, 720 works just fine. For the money (I paid $119.00 + a 16GB micro SD card for $30.00 and a handlebar mount for $20.00) its not a bad little camera considering I'm still under $200.00. It also comes with a remote.

A GoPro Hero White with all those options would probably run you well over $300.00, but you'd also be getting 1080.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    I use a Drift Innovation HD 720 and its great for what I use it for. The great thing about it is the ability to preview videos. An LCD option would cost you around $80.00 for a GoPro. I'm not getting 1080 on mine, but for posting vids online, 720 works just fine. For the money (I paid $119.00 + a 16GB micro SD card for $30.00 and a handlebar mount for $20.00) its not a bad little camera considering I'm still under $200.00. It also comes with a remote.

A GoPro Hero White with all those options would probably run you well over $300.00, but you'd also be getting 1080.

Where'd you get the camera that cheap?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    Where'd you get the camera that cheap?
    I picked mine up at a local best buy. A customer ordered it and came just to decide he didn't want it. They may still have the sale on line.

Drift Innovation HD720 Action Camera HD Flash Memory Camcorder Black HD720 - Best Buy

Its not me biking, but here is a quick video I took over the weekend while walking my dog.

Last edited by Shakester; 01-14-2013 at 11:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Need some tests of it in low light.

mtbr member
    That was my first test, since I got it in the evening. I decided to take it out while walking the dog. Its shaky because I had to run after the little bastard, but it wasn't that bad. You may have to select the 720HD setting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    That was my first test, since I got it in the evening. I decided to take it out while walking the dog. Its shaky because I had to run after the little bastard, but it wasn't that bad. You may have to select the 720HD setting.

That's pretty good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    That's pretty good.
    Not bad for under $200.00. Like I said, it works for what I need it to do. My friend, who bought a GoPro 3 a few weeks before I bought this one, kept on telling me to get the Contour or GoPro. Now that he's seen this one, he's actually impressed that I got it for that price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've been using the Ion Air Pro Plus with wifi and it is very nice. Very impressed so far. Good video quality, easy to use, the ipad,iphone, ipod app works pretty well.

iON

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Have the Contour HD and GoPro Hd and prefer the GoPro since the picture quality is better and more stabilize than the Contour.

mtbr member
    I ended up getting the GoPro3 silver, and it's pretty sweet so far...I've only tried it on some fairly smooth trails, but I'm gonna take it on some better trails this weekend to test it out...the video quality is awesome though!
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    Was at a local Best Buy over the weekend and noticed they had a Contour HD Roam2 on sale as an open box for $129.99. Checked it out and already having the Drift, I didn't really even think about it until the sales person came up and asked if I needed any help. Told him I was just checking stuff out and he mentioned that an additional $50.00 will be taken off all "open box" cameras. Wait?! $80.00 for a Contour Roam2? I couldn't pass up that deal. In fact, they had 2 of them and I picked both of them up (one for my brother since he likes to snowboard). I was thinking that I wanted something in 1080 so I got it.

mtbr member
    Damn... I would have grabbed them both, too! Nice find!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany