mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ordinary digi cam as a helemt/chest cam?

I am in the market for a new digital camera that also takes HD video. I am going to Whistler next month and would like to shoot some helmet or chest cam footage, but I don't want to splash out for a dedicated helmet cam (such as the GoPro), as I won't use it much when I get home.

Does anyone use a standard digital camera for this? If so, how do you mount it?

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I have done the helmet cam with a Sony Cybershot HD P&S camera. You can do it pretty cheap on the helmet. Go to Walmart and buy a $6.00 short cheap tripod mount. Take the legs off of it and leave the base. On the bottom of the tripod base is a small plate with a screw in the middle.

Loosen this screw and run the zipties through it and tighten. Run the zipties through the helmet and tighten. Put something to pad the inside of the helmet to help cushion your noggin.

Mount camera on the tripod screw and tighten the tripod mount. Watch out for branches and stuff, it doesn't take too much to knock the camera.

Another thing you can do is order the GoPro mounts minus the camera. Get a grab bag of mounts as well as the chesty and helmet mounts. On one of the little adapter thingees, drill a 1/4" hold in one of them. Grab about 5-6 1/4x20 washers small enough to fill in the gaps so you'll have a solid mount. You'll see what I am talking about when you look at them.

You can then mount your P&S on a gopro mount and use gopro stuff like they chesty and helmet mounts.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr dismember

Yes

Real video cameras still provide the highest quality images and they have image stabilization. Try here: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/VideoHowToGuide.htm and here http://www.petefagerlin.com/helmetcam_video_how_to.htm

I found the easiest way is to just stick it on top of the helmet. They now have much smaller camcorders than this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Real video cameras still provide the highest quality images and they have image stabilization. Try here: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/VideoHowToGuide.htm and here http://www.petefagerlin.com/helmetcam_video_how_to.htm
    I second that Wherewolf, especially if you want to watch the footage on anything larger than a computer monitor/screen. And a plus one for Bonehead Composites! I like how you used zip-ties on your rig, as its much safer than adding bolts on the helmet (my full face DH rig has 2 bolts but they cant do any cranial damage

I have been experimenting with a new & lighter rig (inspired by MtbBill's QR idea) for XC videos. I haven't decided if I will use zip-ties or just glass the molded mount right on the helmet as I get ready for the final glass coat (and some paint....lol). Counterweight mount is ready as well.

Here is where its at so far.....

PrOxY

local trails rider
    Here's a pretty ghetto solution, for a chest camera used with hydration pack straps. (not mine)

and some nightly winter XC action taken with that setup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT3h9fFCcPM

mtbr dismember

No more videos?

I doubt I'll ever do another video. The helmet mount is a real pain to ride with. The quality of video coming out of some of the new HD POV cams is really getting better. I just wish I could see some raw footage from them.

mtbr member
    I doubt I'll ever do another video. The helmet mount is a real pain to ride with. The quality of video coming out of some of the new HD POV cams is really getting better. I just wish I could see some raw footage from them.
    Yea, If I didn't already have all that stuff I would not have bothered. I just like having long trail vids for when I'm riding my trainer. However, some of the footage from that Lumix DMC-FT1 (or its brethren) looks promising (linked by perttime).
    PrOxY

commie
    The quality of video coming out of some of the new HD POV cams is really getting better. I just wish I could see some raw footage from them.
    The raw footage has the same rolling shutter/jellovision effect as the re-encoded videos that you see.

In most cases a hard mount on the handlebars/frame will tend to reduce the rolling shutter issues, but it's still present to some degree. Helmet and chest mounting lets the rolling shutters issues really shine!