govt kontrakt projkt mgr

Not a bike video, but edit info

Hey guys--I know some have been struggling with choppy playback quality in their NLEs (editors) when editing/playing back .mov footage from the ContourHD (and possibly other AVCHD/H.264 cams).

Many editors will accept .mov or .mp4 but the video is choppy until rendered; but I've found a better way.

Here's what I do:

Finally I got the Contour HD in the mail--over the last 2 nights I took two short clips of 27 and 31 seconds in my upstairs office area.

1. Put the card in the computer's card reader and copy files to hard drive. (delete files off card).

2. Change the extension on the files from .mov to .mp4

THE NEXT IS THE CRITICAL STEP FOR SMOOTH PLAY/EDITING IN THE NLE

3. Using Neoscene convert the MP4 files into High Quality .AVI with smart rendering off. (This will increase file size by a factor of 10, but the NLE is going to absolutely edit this with ease).

Neoscene is a download and does cost--129$ or 100$ from thevideoguys. But you get what you pay for. The "should I buy" on the Internet from neoscene suggests if you have a quadcore higher maybe you can get by without it. I can assure you I have a quad core, run windows 7, have only 2 GB ram, and without converting using neoscene, the playback on occasion halts, stutters and gets choppy. Neoscene is well woth the 100$ and does a much better job than the free converters. It outputs in cineform file format, same format a lot of professional producers use.

4. Bring the AVIs into your NLE and edit away.

5. Render out in suitable format for your preferred destination.

I am using Sony Vegas 9c.

I have uploaded the results. It's a simple 29 second file 18 MB in size uploaded to vimeo. 3 simple dissolves, 2 short titles, and vegas generated music to match the project length. I used the Sony AVC (but any flavor .mp4/H.264 will do), and Internet HD 16:9, 30 FPS template in Vegas. Render time was all of 45 second (also the conversion of the original files via neoscene was also rapid).

I hope this helps someone. The most critical parts being RENAME TO .MP4 and use NEOSCENE to get the highest quality .AVI file.

Here is a quick edit which literally probably didn't take 15 minutes to throw together. Dark and not spectacular quality because it's all inside.

http://www.vimeo.com/8789560
    Last edited by ArmySlowRdr; 01-16-2010 at 11:03 PM.

mtbr member
    My happy time with GoPro HD has ended, when time has come to edit my videos. Choppy playback kill all fun and i don't know what can help me. Try Sony Vegas 9 and Adobe Elements - both plays video as slideshow. Damn, I don't have too much time for recompression videos. Other solutions guys?

mtbr dismember

Neo Scene

I've never used the contour HD, but the problem sounds like what you get with the Canon 5D MK II. Half of a Cinema5D forum is dedicated to this problem. Even my i950 system can't handle the raw files. I wrote about the problem and how to deal with it here: http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/5DVideo/index.htm

You do not have to change the file extension from .mov in Neo Scene. Videoguys give $10 off first purchase. Believe me, if you do more than occasional HD editing Neo Scene is well worth $89! Give the fully functional trial a chance.

P.S. ArmySlowRdr check out my geotagging link.

FYI, if you want a less expensive solution quicktime pro is only $30.00.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Looks good Steve. I think I had actually downloaded that program but never found time to use it. I had already paid for RoboGEO. I think I've used it several times. Work just takes up so much time that I don't get to ride or play with cool toys nearly as much as I'd like.

When I initially tried with the trial, I kept the file as .MOV but it still somehow turned out choppy. I can't remember though--I might have put it into virtualdub after that---and we know that virtualdub is finicky about what it readily accepts. I'll give it another go soon without changing the file extension. In fact I did a 30 mile very hilly road ride this morning south of town--over the next coupla weekends maybe I'll try and put together a minute or so of scenic rural South Killeen footage.

Edit--no real need for me to use virtualdub any more though, now that I am becoming more familiar with Vegas's trimmer and its sub-clip routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    You do not have to change the file extension from .mov in Neo Scene. Videoguys give $10 off first purchase. Believe me, if you do more than occasional HD editing Neo Scene is well worth $89! Give the fully functional trial a chance.

P.S. ArmySlowRdr check out my geotagging link.

locked - time out
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr

3. Using Neoscene convert the MP4 files into High Quality .AVI with smart rendering off. (This will increase file size by a factor of 10, but the NLE is going to absolutely edit this with ease).

Neoscene is a download and does cost--129$ or 100$ from thevideoguys. But you get what you pay for.
    Just listen to One_Speed.

Buy Quick Time Pro for $29.99 and convert .mp4 and .mov files to an .avi.

Much simpler.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D3381Z/A

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    No, but thanks for your input. I don't see how it could be any easier. And Cineform is recognized as among the best high quality file. If QT Pro works for you, fine.

Only reason I even posted mine and others method of using neoscene was I continually see posters talking about their choppy video--and maybe or maybe not they have tried QT Pro and maybe they had desired results or maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jello Sundae
    Just listen to One_Speed.

Buy Quick Time Pro for $29.99 and convert .mp4 and .mov files to an .avi.

Much simpler.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D3381Z/A

locked - time out
    Dec 2009
    And Cineform is recognized as among the best high quality file.
    That makes no sense. "Recognized" by whom? How are you defining "best high quality file"?

QTP can convert the files at a third of the cost into whatever quality you want> You can select the data rate, compression codec, frame rate, etc.

You're making things more complicated, and more expensive, than they need to be.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Professional camera operators and cinematographers.

Look I'm glad QT Pro works for you.

There are even well regarded free programs recommended by at least a few professionals--Super being one--but it certainly didn't do what I needed it to do--maybe it could---but not with the ease of Neoscene.

And finally I'm not making anything more expensive than it needs to be; I merely presented an option that works and is recommended.

That makes no sense. "Recognized" by whom? How are you defining "best high quality file"?

QTP can convert the files at a third of the cost into whatever quality you want> You can select the data rate, compression codec, frame rate, etc.

You're making things more complicated, and more expensive, than they need to be.

locked - time out
    Dec 2009
    Do you have a link that backs up your assertion? Becasue on its face, claiming that Neoscene creates a better quality file during conversion isn't supported by any facts that I know of.

And finally I'm not making anything more expensive than it needs to be; I merely presented an option that works and is recommended.
    I wrote "more complicated" --- see your original post for proof of that fact --- and "more expensive" --- compare the price of Neoscene to QTP for proof of that fact.

p.s. How are you defining "best high quality file"? You ignored that question.

mtbr member
    Try QT Pro. This program makes avi files with bad quality. You don't have access to codec options to make files with higher bitrate or resolution, most of the time. In general, it not a variant

mtbr member

easier and less exspensive

Hey guys--I know some have been struggling with choppy playback quality in their NLEs (editors) when editing/playing back .mov footage from the ContourHD (and possibly other AVCHD/H.264 cams).

Many editors will accept .mov or .mp4 but the video is choppy until rendered; but I've found a better way.

Here's what I do:

Finally I got the Contour HD in the mail--over the last 2 nights I took two short clips of 27 and 31 seconds in my upstairs office area.

1. Put the card in the computer's card reader and copy files to hard drive. (delete files off card).

Neoscene is a download and does cost--129$ or 100$ from thevideoguys. But you get what you pay for. The "should I buy" on the Internet from neoscene suggests if you have a quadcore higher maybe you can get by without it. I can assure you I have a quad core, run windows 7, have only 2 GB ram, and without converting using neoscene, the playback on occasion halts, stutters and gets choppy. Neoscene is well woth the 100$ and does a much better job than the free converters. It outputs in cineform file format, same format a lot of professional producers use.

4. Bring the AVIs into your NLE and edit away.

5. Render out in suitable format for your preferred destination.

I am using Sony Vegas 9c.

I have uploaded the results. It's a simple 29 second file 18 MB in size uploaded to vimeo. 3 simple dissolves, 2 short titles, and vegas generated music to match the project length. I used the Sony AVC (but any flavor .mp4/H.264 will do), and Internet HD 16:9, 30 FPS template in Vegas. Render time was all of 45 second (also the conversion of the original files via neoscene was also rapid).

I hope this helps someone. The most critical parts being RENAME TO .MP4 and use NEOSCENE to get the highest quality .AVI file.

Here is a quick edit which literally probably didn't take 15 minutes to throw together. Dark and not spectacular quality because it's all inside.

http://www.vimeo.com/8789560
    As a editor -- this has saved me hundreds of times http://www.squared5.com/ it does everything WELL and FAST-- and doesn't cost the$$
    Jt

Here are a few Video Trail Guides I shot - just for fun:
    http://destinationproductions.com/cu...PassionTrails/

locked - time out
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GR_Russia
    Try QT Pro. This program makes avi files with bad quality.
    That has not been my experience when converting a GoProHD h.264 MP4 to an uncompressed avi.

Quote Originally Posted by GR_Russia
    You don't have access to codec options to make files with higher bitrate or resolution, most of the time. In general, it not a variant
    That is simply untrue. You have access to a number of codecs in QTP or for the best quality you can just convert your movies to uncompressed avis.

mtbr member
    That has not been my experience when converting a GoProHD h.264 MP4 to an uncompressed avi.

That is simply untrue. You have access to a number of codecs in QTP or for the best quality you can just convert your movies to uncompressed avis.
    Damn, you're right! I not find this option at first time. That what happens when you try find solution late late at night

mtbr dismember

Cinema 5D

I'm not going to argue with anybody. But check out the "Editing on a PC" forum on Cinema 5D. Neo Scene is the number one recommended solution there. In fact it gets quite monotonous seeing the same questions and answers posted over and over.

There all tools to get a job done. The point to to share with others and help them know what is possible.

Don't have to get all butt hurt when another program is recommended.

Just because you spent an assload of cash on equipment doesn't make you a professional. Give me a fvcking break.

mtbr dismember

Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by One_Speed
    Don't have to get all butt hurt when another program is recommended. Just because you spent an assload of cash on equipment doesn't make you a professional. Give me a fvcking break.
    Posting a link is hardly getting excited, nor implying anything else.

Woodlot local
    For people having issues with playing the raw files from the GoPro HD or Contour HD in their native mp4 format, I can recommend this player to view the files: Splash Lite. I have a 4 year old dual core, 1gig of ram machine that putts along by today's computer standards. When I try to play GoPro HD full resoultion files with Quicktime, I get a jerky studdery mess. I have however been using Splash Lite to play the raw files and have ZERO issues. It's free and makes previewing raw files a breeze. It also plays .mts files (AVCHD)

http://mirillis.com/splash.html

The free player is linked on the right side of the page. It's very slick and plays difficult files with ease.

mtbr member
    Hey, Wherewolf. Thank you for the link on 5D forum. In this thread guys explained how you can edit videos without transcode raw files to another format, excellent! I try and it's work with my Premiere!

mtbr member
    I've used the shareware app MPEG Streamclip and it works great for conversion. I mentioned this in an earlier thread:

Software to edit GOPRO HD clips?

Also, Quicktime pro has worked fine for me.

No reason to pay so much for a conversion app.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website