mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New Sony hitting the trail

I am new to the POV world. The new Sony Action Cam caught my eye on the way to buying a Gopro Hero +3.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-AS100..._cd_ql_qh_dp_t

The specs look promising. Do any of you have experience with the new action Cam?

Thanks.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    for that money I'd go with the VIRB from garmin. The Gopro's are about the "best picture" but honestly the average shot and for uploading to youtube/Vimeo you'll get just as good, with a better actual camera profile. The Gopro's look goofy and stick out to much anywhere but a cheat mount. The VIRB is about the best focus I've seen.. plus the GPS tracking built into the filming..

Contour is on a come back also.. I MUCH prefer my contour I have, not only mounting and locations but the added ability to rotate the lens adds even more mounting view point options
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    for that money I'd go with the VIRB from garmin. The Gopro's are about the "best picture" but honestly the average shot and for uploading to youtube/Vimeo you'll get just as good, with a better actual camera profile. The Gopro's look goofy and stick out to much anywhere but a cheat mount. The VIRB is about the best focus I've seen.. plus the GPS tracking built into the filming..

Contour is on a come back also.. I MUCH prefer my contour I have, not only mounting and locations but the added ability to rotate the lens adds even more mounting view point options
    I would have to agree. The Sony is quiet bulky, and the range of mounts available is limited. Contour is another option, however I would go for the GoPro. Huge wealth of info out there, good warranty if required. I've had to use it and they were superb even though I bought my camera from abroad and couldn't find my receipt!

GoPro | Unsponsored
    http://www.unsponsored.co.uk - Independant Kayak Site. No BS!

http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk - Bikepacking

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Mounts shouldn't be much an issue, Sony uses standard 1/4" photo stud, you can find all manner of mounts, and even adapters to use it with GoPro mounts.
    I have the first gen Sony and its decent, given the price it was pretty good I guess. It has a bunch of niggling annoyances and when you stack it up against the GoPro its image quality isn't as good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I own both the Garmin Virb Elite and the Sony HDR100--both are very good cameras. The image stabilization is better on the sony than the Garmin, but the lens correction on the Garmin is very good, and the sony does not have it. The software for embedding GPS data for the sony does not have a lot of options-the Garmin software is very flexible for embedding data.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    A picture is worth a 1000 words.

You aren't mounting any of the others like this. Love my Contour and hopefully with the new backers, they can release the new cameras they had in the works before the shut down.
    I would buy a Contour +2 right now, but again, waiting to see what comes out.

[IMG][/IMG]
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

re member
    ^ Is that a gigantic sized bike or a tiny little Contour? ^
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    ^ Is that a gigantic sized bike or a tiny little Contour? ^
    It's the mount to make the point- none of the other camera's have the flexibility of Contour, even the other 'bullet' shaped ones.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    It's the mount to make the point- none of the other camera's have the flexibility of Contour, even the other 'bullet' shaped ones.
    Contour has what, 3 mounting points? One on each side and the stud on the bottom? I'm trying to figure out what camera to get myself and I've pretty much ruled out the GoPro due to form factor and honestly, the video quality IMO isn't that much better than some of the other top cameras. Actually, I like the Sony straight out of the camera about the best but I understand too that the GoPro is best known for being able to tweak it after the shoot. But I'm not wanting to get into all that...I just want to shoot and upload and have it look good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Contour has what, 3 mounting points? One on each side and the stud on the bottom? I'm trying to figure out what camera to get myself and I've pretty much ruled out the GoPro due to form factor and honestly, the video quality IMO isn't that much better than some of the other top cameras. Actually, I like the Sony straight out of the camera about the best but I understand too that the GoPro is best known for being able to tweak it after the shoot. But I'm not wanting to get into all that...I just want to shoot and upload and have it look good.
    Yes it has rails on both sides and the screw on the bottom.

If I had to do over I'd would get the Contour +2 for the GPS. The only reason I don't at this point is I have a Contour Roam2 and waiting to see what they bring out next.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass