Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Over 50, & not '2' tired

Good job! New high end 36er on the trail!

From 3/4/10. Testing drops, jumps, speed, maneuverability and even some super smooth cable cam shots!

www.unigeezer.com
    "Over 50, and not '2' Tired!"

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I have something to look forward to when I get home! You always deliver Uni!

On a similar note, I love to shoot ride videos and building up a cable cam is one of the items I would love to have in my video inventory. Would it be ok to ask you how you built your setup? I'd be using a tripod mounted camera to do the video.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider
    I have something to look forward to when I get home! You always deliver Uni!

On a similar note, I love to shoot ride videos and building up a cable cam is one of the items I would love to have in my video inventory. Would it be ok to ask you how you built your setup? I'd be using a tripod mounted camera to do the video.
    No problem.

My camera is a sony w290, and is primarily a still camera, but also shoots in 720p HD. The small size really is ideal for the cable cam. ok, a piece of 2x3 about 10" long for the body. Two 4" nylon laundry pulleys, one connected to each end. any camera mount like you find on the top of a tripod for attaching to the bottom center of the rig. (it will film upside down but you can just flip it 180 in editing).

Then get like 100-200 feet of solid core 3/16 nylon cord. tie each end to a tree, a sign post, whatever will hold. make one end higher so gravity will drive the system. Use a hollow foam tubing about 6" long to feed onto the cable at the low end. Position it about 1 foot from the end so the cable cam rig will be stopped by it. Have fun!
    www.unigeezer.com

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by unigeezer
    No problem.

My camera is a sony w290, and is primarily a still camera, but also shoots in 720p HD. The small size really is ideal for the cable cam. ok, a piece of 2x3 about 10" long for the body. Two 4" nylon laundry pulleys, one connected to each end. any camera mount like you find on the top of a tripod for attaching to the bottom center of the rig. (it will film upside down but you can just flip it 180 in editing).

Then get like 100-200 feet of solid core 3/16 nylon cord. tie each end to a tree, a sign post, whatever will hold. make one end higher so gravity will drive the system. Use a hollow foam tubing about 6" long to feed onto the cable at the low end. Position it about 1 foot from the end so the cable cam rig will be stopped by it. Have fun!
    Rock on. The W290 is a great camera, I got one myself. Been using it for almost a year now and it shoots darn good video.

Thanks for the setup.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Rock on. The W290 is a great camera, I got one myself. Been using it for almost a year now and it shoots darn good video.

Thanks for the setup.
    You got it!
    www.unigeezer.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Bravo!! thanks. ...
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Here it is 1:30AM in the morning. Got home to watch the video before I went off to dream about mountain biking and I can tell you Uni, I think this has to be one of my favorites.. Awesome footage! Good night to all!!

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    Bravo!! thanks. ...
    Thanks!
    www.unigeezer.com

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Here it is 1:30AM in the morning. Got home to watch the video before I went off to dream about mountain biking and I can tell you Uni, I think this has to be one of my favorites.. Awesome footage! Good night to all!!
    Thanks Lawson. Glad you like it!
    www.unigeezer.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks!
    I went on youtube & saw some of your videos. the ones @ Wal Mart & Target had me LMAO., & the one ordering food at the take-out window with the kids is cool too. I too am in my 50's,and I'm not stopping riding (MTB) either. Glad to meet you.---zarr
    i have more than you.

zarr

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    I went on youtube & saw some of your videos. the ones @ Wal Mart & Target had me LMAO., & the one ordering food at the take-out window with the kids is cool too. I too am in my 50's,and I'm not stopping riding (MTB) either. Glad to meet you.---zarr
    Yeah I had fun making those videos, which go back a couple or more years. Glad to meet you as well Zarr...it's cool to know that there are lots of middle-aged kids like us out there shreddin' the trails!

PS: This compilation is from the most technical trails I've ridden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Q-0SGtYyE
    www.unigeezer.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah I had fun making those videos, which go back a couple or more years. Glad to meet you as well Zarr...it's cool to know that there are lots of middle-aged kids like us out there shreddin' the trails!

PS: This compilation is from the most technical trails I've ridden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Q-0SGtYyE
    Yeeeaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i have more than you.

zarr

Team Fearless Descender
    Uni - Again, amazing riding and video work. I gotta ask, where did you get the instrumental RUSH? Love it, being a life long RUSH fan! Any closer to the real thing and YouTube will pull it, as I'm sure you know.

Oh, found / Googled Gustavo Teixeira.

Hey, and "stick cam" on a unicycle? Crazy good!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    Uni - Again, amazing riding and video work. I gotta ask, where did you get the instrumental RUSH? Love it, being a life long RUSH fan! Any closer to the real thing and YouTube will pull it, as I'm sure you know.
    I found it on youtube under "tom sawyer instrumental" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxJdy2MGVn4
    www.unigeezer.com

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Hi there Uni! I went to the hardware store today and bought the parts you listed. Some of the parts they didn't have but had others that were similar. I got the body unit done, painted, and it's out in the back porch drying.

They didn't have 3/16 line so I had to go with 1/4" line. I tried to test but I have already found that I am going to have to get this line pretty dogone tight so the unit will roll smoothly. How do you get your line tight enough?

I'll post pics of the unit when the paint is dry.

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Hi there Uni! I went to the hardware store today and bought the parts you listed. Some of the parts they didn't have but had others that were similar. I got the body unit done, painted, and it's out in the back porch drying.

They didn't have 3/16 line so I had to go with 1/4" line. I tried to test but I have already found that I am going to have to get this line pretty dogone tight so the unit will roll smoothly. How do you get your line tight enough?

I'll post pics of the unit when the paint is dry.
    The line doesn't have to be super tight at all. When I tie it at the tree after it's been tied to the other end, I just pull it so it's fairly taut, and that's all it needs. However, if you are using a large, heavier camcorder, than the line will sag more. That's why I use a very small point & shoot sony--the w290--but it also records in 720p high def that is very good quality, as in the video posted here.

But even if the line sags, the rig will still zip down the line smoothly, if you are using the right parts. I tried many different pulleys, including the smaller sized nylon laundry pulleys, but the 4" are by far the best. Just make sure the low end is not too low or your camera may strike the ground. And make sure the high end is high enough to get the rig to glide at a reasonable, consistent speed. And SOLID CORE nylon line is by far the best, and easiest to work with, and tie and untie. just melt the ends.
    www.unigeezer.com

2006 Yeti AS-X
    The line doesn't have to be super tight at all. When I tie it at the tree after it's been tied to the other end, I just pull it so it's fairly taut, and that's all it needs. However, if you are using a large, heavier camcorder, than the line will sag more. That's why I use a very small point & shoot sony--the w290--but it also records in 720p high def that is very good quality, as in the video posted here.

But even if the line sags, the rig will still zip down the line smoothly, if you are using the right parts. I tried many different pulleys, including the smaller sized nylon laundry pulleys, but the 4" are by far the best. Just make sure the low end is not too low or your camera may strike the ground. And make sure the high end is high enough to get the rig to glide at a reasonable, consistent speed. And SOLID CORE nylon line is by far the best, and easiest to work with, and tie and untie. just melt the ends.
    Here is a pic of the cablecam unit. Just got dried and added some art via sharpie markers LOL. Not the best artist in the world but it's something.

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    One thing I failed to think about until now; you will cover much more ground so much faster than I can on one wheel, so unless you have a much longer line, the shot will be very short! It would be impractical, however, to carry several hundred feet of line with you, and the set up would take much longer.

Also, the longer the line, the more tension will be needed to reduce excess sag. My shots are set up at about 120 feet of line. I can't fit much more than that plus everything else in my backpack. plus, you are using a bigger diameter line which will be heavier and take up more room. You can still set up shorter shots, but they just won't last very long...unless you ride slow!
    www.unigeezer.com

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Here is a pic of the cablecam unit. Just got dried and added some art via sharpie markers LOL. Not the best artist in the world but it's something.
    Looks good, but I'm not sure how well those pulleys will perform. Maybe they will be as good or even better than the nylon type. One way to find out! I look forward to seeing some video of it in action! Please read my above post about line lengths.
    www.unigeezer.com

2006 Yeti AS-X
    One thing I failed to think about until now; you will cover much more ground so much faster than I can on one wheel, so unless you have a much longer line, the shot will be very short! It would be impractical, however, to carry several hundred feet of line with you, and the set up would take much longer.

Also, the longer the line, the more tension will be needed to reduce excess sag. My shots are set up at about 120 feet of line. I can't fit much more than that plus everything else in my backpack. plus, you are using a bigger diameter line which will be heavier and take up more room. You can still set up shorter shots, but they just won't last very long...unless you ride slow!
    Riding slow is not a problem for me. It is my speciality! LOL.

Yeah, it is going to be a challenge. I am thinking the line will need to be ratchet strapped to get proper tension, espcially at long distance. I could only afford a 100 ft line - didn't realize how much line costs. It was 17 bucks for just 100 ft of it.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Looks good, but I'm not sure how well those pulleys will perform. Maybe they will be as good or even better than the nylon type. One way to find out! I look forward to seeing some video of it in action! Please read my above post about line lengths.
    I asked the guy at the hardware store for the exact pulleys you mentioned but he didn't have any - I wanted to stay as close to the specs you gave as possible. They seem to be pretty fluid but I did notice unless the line is uber tight that it will just stop in the middle once it sags.

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    I asked the guy at the hardware store for the exact pulleys you mentioned but he didn't have any - I wanted to stay as close to the specs you gave as possible. They seem to be pretty fluid but I did notice unless the line is uber tight that it will just stop in the middle once it sags.
    Yeah I would try the nylon 4" laundry pulleys. I got mine at home depot and they are cheap, like $3 each. Well worth it. My 3/16" line was about 15 cents a foot.
    www.unigeezer.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Where was that filmed?

Over 50, & not '2' tired
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    Where was that filmed?
    the first one at the top of the thread was filmed at sullivan canyon. The 2nd link is a compilation of many trails and locations, each annotated in the video.
    www.unigeezer.com

Thanks for sharing.

When filming alone with cable cam, how do you stop it from hitting the next tree?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast