mtbr member

New Gopro videos

I think I am getting better at shooting and editing videos. I have only done about 5 of them to this point. What do you think? I am looking for some honest criticism here. Any tips to improve my skills would be awesome.

Recorded at 720p 120fps. Edited with Cineform studio. Anti-shake with Virtualdub and final edit with Windows Live Movie Maker.

Here are some videos I took at KT last week. Enjoy.

Kitchel - YouTube

YouTube

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I like it. No criticism from me, just a question and suggestion.
    I only use Windows Movie Maker, what is the advantage of
    using the other software for editing?

It's fun to try other mounting places other than the head/helmet
    and bars. I've mounted my ContourGPS on my top tube, fork,
    seatpost. In my latest video, I mounted the cam by the rear
    triangle.

BIKING IN CALIFORNIA - YouTube

mtbr member
    Looks good to me. So you used movie maker to add the audio?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yes. Just drag and drop, same procedure with the pics and vids.

mtbr member
    Interceptor, that is very creative. Unfortunately I have no artistic bone in my body. Pretty funny considering both my parents are artists. I have a more mechanical mind.

Come to think of it, I do not know why I use cineform. I had been using it to trim the video but I can do that with WMM. I use Virtualdub to remove the shaking.

My next experiment is to put my GoPro on a kite and record myself sailing my boat. I also windsurf which would make for some good high speed action videos.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Here's a previous video where I mounted my
    ContourGPS cam on the seatpost and fork:

RIDING WITH ISLA FIJA BIKE CLUB - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    I think I am getting better at shooting and editing videos. I have only done about 5 of them to this point. What do you think? I am looking for some honest criticism here. Any tips to improve my skills would be awesome.

Recorded at 720p 120fps. Edited with Cineform studio. Anti-shake with Virtualdub and final edit with Windows Live Movie Maker.

Here are some videos I took at KT last week. Enjoy.

Kitchel - YouTube

YouTube
    I feel like that first video has a weird look to it, cant exactly place it. Did you use some software, or upload it to youtube, attempting to stabilize the video?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It's probably the stabilizing software. Some will make your the jolts/bounces
    wavy(like Youtube's), this one looks like it's cutting those vibrations. Probably
    why it has a bit of stop and go feel to it, like clay animation.

mtbr member
    Yes, that is the Virtualdub and the deshaker filter that does that. Looks kinda cool in some videos and a little weird in others.

I need to find a better way to stabilize the shaking. I like the GoPro but their plastic mounts are not very steady.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yes, that is the Virtualdub and the deshaker filter that does that. Looks kinda cool in some videos and a little weird in others.

I need to find a better way to stabilize the shaking. I like the GoPro but their plastic mounts are not very steady.
    Their mounts are only as stable as the object theyre mounted to. If you attach the cam to a helmet, if your helmet isnt tight, you arent going to get a steady shot.

banned
    Jun 2013
    You need to try different mounting and riding techniques. The GoPro mounts aren't the problem.

VD and Deshaker make the video look like crap so it's best to start with the smoothest footage possible to avoid having to use it.

mtbr member
    If the camera is attached directly to the primary mount there is no problem. But as soon as you add a 90 degree arm it flexes like crazy. The video looking back has a mount that is attached to my frame sideways. I used an extension arm to rotate the camera 90 degrees to get the camera facing up.

There was no way to attach the mount right side up. If the extension arm was aluminum instead of plastic it would have been much more stable.

banned
    Jun 2013
    If the camera is attached directly to the primary mount there is no problem. But as soon as you add a 90 degree arm it flexes like crazy.
    So this mount/90 degree arm would flex like crazy?

mtbr member
    Yes, those are the mounts I use but mine have thumb screws. Maybe I need to get some Phillips heads like yours and torque them down.

Thanks for the tip on VD. I did notice how the quality suffered after running the video through it using deshaker. I thought it was just the settings even though I have played around with a lot of the settings to try and improve the output.

banned
    Jun 2013
    Yes, those are the mounts I use but mine have thumb screws. Maybe I need to get some Phillips heads like yours and torque them down.
    Those bolts are just to reduce a little bit of weight. When using that mount with the stock gopro bolts the arm/mount does not flex like crazy.

mtbr member

Thanks for the tip on VD. I did notice how the quality suffered after running the video through it using deshaker. I thought it was just the settings even though I have played around with a lot of the settings to try and improve the output.
    Notice that the stock thumbscrews have an exposed phillips screw head at the end. You don't need to get new screws. You can crank down on your thumbscrews with a screwdriver if yo need to.

RideDirt
    There is no flex , ive used footage from all sorts of angles on a bike with extra arms etc. Make sure its nice and tight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I started carrying a small phillips head screw driver in my pack of GoPro chit I carry in my CamelBak now. It's come in quite handy to loosen / tighten thumbscrews that have become frustrating for either reason.. "especially" when sweating like a pig.

Short Screwdriver Photo

gnewcomer aka OldMtnGoat